Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : The steps (One of Beethro´s nightmare)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.2/10 (23 votes)
σ 3.01
Author Name:Rui
Submitted By:urban
Hold Name:The steps
Theme:One of Beethro´s nightmare
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:1
Number of Rooms:41
Number of Monsters:1554
Version:DROD: Architect's Edition
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:3 (+3 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: The steps.hold (20.4 KB)
Downloaded 44082 times.
License: Other
icon The steps  
Hope you enjoy this hold!!!
02-03-2004 at 01:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 783
icon Re: The steps (0)  
Whee! I loved this one.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
02-03-2004 at 05:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gds
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 50
I can't figure out how to exit the goblin maze in Golden Square. The only crumbly wall that could lead out is blocked by force arrows (1).

You do have to enter the maze, right ?

02-06-2004 at 08:06 AM
gds
gds wrote:
I can't figure out how to exit the goblin maze in Golden Square

I've tried this room again today and can still not solve it. I've come to the conclusion that the author of this hold made a last minute modification that broke this room. That would be confirmed by the victory demo (from the architect forum) that goes all weird. Beethro seems to be stuck at the top of the room for a long time and then dashes toward the exit, reach the greem door which is still there and the demo ends.

Guillaume
02-08-2004 at 05:21 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Yep. The (older) version I have has an exit in the top of the square, where the orb currently is.

[Edited by eytanz on 02-08-2004 at 05:52 PM GMT]

02-08-2004 at 05:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
Mine too.

Urban, have you changed it? You *can* change uploaded holds now, right?

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
02-10-2004 at 06:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gds
It's been almost two months since I found that this hold can't be finished. Urban hasn't been on the board so shouldn't this hold be temporary removed until he comes back. Or replaced with the version in the architecture forum which, although it's not the final version that urban intended, can at least be completed.

Either that or it needs a big warning:
WARNING! This hold can not be completed
03-07-2004 at 12:29 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Oh #$^@,

Urban wrote me and asked me to send him the old version of the hold that I had about a week ago - I was too busy and forgot all about it...

Anyway, I'll do it as soon as I get home this evening.

03-07-2004 at 12:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
urban
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 29

File: The final steps.hold (20.4 KB)
Downloaded 208 times.
License: Other
Thanks Eytanz,

I´ve finally managed to complete the last changes on the "the steps" hold. Now it is possible to finish it.
Sorry all ;)

This is the final version.

Could anyone tell me how to remove the older one? (or change it for the new one)

thanks
03-23-2004 at 08:56 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
urban wrote:
Could anyone tell me how to remove the older one? (or change it for the new one)
Go into your profile, select "Modify", then "My Holds", then "Upload a new version".

03-23-2004 at 09:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
techant
Rank Points: 854
-_- I am confused!!

Which hold is the right one? "the steps" or "the final steps"?
or are they both the same? :crazy

I love this hold :w00t but I do want to be able to finish.

I am in "the steps", I didn't know there was another until I had a problem with level 1 2n 5w. This game challenges me like the Eriks version did when I first played it. I like how hard it is. Great job except which is the right one?

I am going to load 'the final steps' and check it out but I really do not want to do over rooms, as fun as they were so I am hoping they are both the same. I downloaded my orig on 07/01/2004.

I am just having too much fun :D with this hold.

[Edited by techant on 07-30-2004 at 11:49 AM GMT]

[Last edited by techant at 02-02-2007 07:20 AM]
07-30-2004 at 12:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gds
Unfortunately, The Steps is the one with the unsolvable room and The final steps is the one which is correct. I'm afraid you'll have to redo it all.
I got into the same situation as you and never got the courage to play it all over again.
07-30-2004 at 02:27 PM
yarnexpress
Rank Points: 24
I loved this hold until the Golden Square with the unsolveable room. I downloaded the final (fixed version). Bad news is I must play all the rooms again which I won't do. I had assumed the hold was fixed before I first downloaded it. Why is the broken version on the downloads page?
07-31-2004 at 08:46 PM
techant
Thanks to both of you for the update. :D

I loved this hold so I may just try the right version and solve those rooms again while I can still remember how. Most of the fun is just figuring out the right solution, beating the room is just the proof you got it. :yes

I am glad I set my demo's to save when I beat a room.

Thanks again :thumbsup

07-31-2004 at 11:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
techant
:thumbsup
I finished "the final step" or "rui's steps"
:fun

I had to redo all the rooms I had done but it was worth it. While the demo aspect did not work. I don't know why. Maybe it is a setting that was not set. I hope that is fixed whenever the download is fixed so others can have the enjoyment I had.

I sure hope Urban that you make another hold :w00t

08-11-2004 at 07:31 AM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
techant wrote:
I sure hope Urban that you make another hold :w00t

I think that "The Line" will interest you then.

08-11-2004 at 10:32 AM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Demos aren't saved from a previous version of the hold in case a room has changed entirely, meaning the demo will no longer have the same effect. The game doesn't check to see what the rooms look like, so it can't tell if they're the same, so it assumes you haven't played them, and no demos are present. It's not a bug, it's a feature :D

08-11-2004 at 03:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
DiMono wrote:
Demos aren't saved from a previous version of the hold in case a room has changed entirely, meaning the demo will no longer have the same effect. The game doesn't check to see what the rooms look like, so it can't tell if they're the same, so it assumes you haven't played them, and no demos are present. It's not a bug, it's a feature :D
Yes, but for your convenience this behavior has been upgraded in JtRH to allow more lenient retention of demos and saved games when a hold is updated.

[Edited by mrimer on 08-11-2004 at 09:08 PM GMT]

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
08-11-2004 at 10:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
Thanks for the lead on more of urban's work, Ill check it out. :yes

As to the demos: My other holds show up when I click demo on the main menu, but with this hold (either one) there was nothing, I mean you click the demo button and nothing happens. That is why I thought it might be a problem. I expected the demo section to open or something. :?

Thanks for the info though and now I know it is a design element.

08-11-2004 at 11:04 PM
silver
Rank Points: 915
So is it possible for the "working" version of this hold to somehow replace the "broken" version? Perhaps Schick can do some magic? Or can we somehow have "the steps" deleted and the working version inserted? it's frustrating to have unfinishable holds around :)

05-26-2005 at 03:50 AM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: The steps (+2)  
silver wrote:
So is it possible for the "working" version of this hold to somehow replace the "broken" version? Perhaps Schick can do some magic? Or can we somehow have "the steps" deleted and the working version inserted? it's frustrating to have unfinishable holds around :)
First off, let me thank everyone for being so patient. A lot of people have sent me updates to their holds lately, and some of them are more than fixing uncompletable rooms. That's going to break high score demos, so rather than hack the new versions in there, I'm working on real hold updating, so that architects can update their own holds just like they used to.

Here's what will happen to the high scores:
On the server
- All high scores for the hold will be marked as invalid.
- If a demo that is identical to an invalid high score is uploaded, the existing demo will be marked as valid. For rooms where solutions don't change, this means equal move count high scores will retain their ordering, assuming everyone re-uploads.

In the game
- When upgrading a CaravelNet hold, the game will remove all demos that don't work any more (as it always has) and ask you if you want to upload demos for that hold again. This shouldn't take much more time than the demo integrity check already did.

As you can see, there's a fair amount of work to be done, but it will be worth it when it's finished.

05-26-2005 at 04:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Wiz
Rank Points: 15
****** ***** **** ******* ***** ******* ***** !!!!! **** (censored) i downloaded the steps :( got to the unsolvable room after hell of fight :( i will never do THAT again no way :o that's just too much of a chore.by the way these roach queens at the golden square drove me crazy anyway...too bad too bad i wanted to go further :( updating a hold should not break saves
:( not all of them...
06-03-2005 at 02:13 PM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1908
I can attest that this hold is solveable.

I love it!!

The hold is difficult, challenging and fun-fun-fun :thumbsup
07-07-2005 at 01:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
icon Re: The steps (+1)  
In my opinion this hold balances on the thin line between tedious and difficult. There where certain rooms that made me want to pull my hair. Really long rooms where it was quite easy to make a mistake which made the room unsolvable. The boat puzzle is one example. It is great, but I'm glad Larry added a green door for the Perfection version ;)

It is a great hold, but it would have been a lot more enjoyable without the tedious elements.
10-08-2006 at 08:03 PM
Stephen4Louise
Rank Points: 548
Blondbeard wrote:
In my opinion this hold balances on the thin line between tedious and difficult. There where certain rooms that made me want to pull my hair. Really long rooms where it was quite easy to make a mistake which made the room unsolvable. The boat puzzle is one example. It is great, but I'm glad Larry added a green door for the Perfection version ;)

It is a great hold, but it would have been a lot more enjoyable without the tedious elements.

I don't have much more to say that hasn't already been said. When I saw the boat, I thought, "Hah, this shouldn't be too hard", if only I noticed that little door missing. Great hold with difficult, but not impossible rooms. If only all holds were this quality.

I do have to say though, if I ever see another room like 6W I think I'll cry!

Steve.
01-25-2007 at 08:07 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Just beat this hold. It was a lot of fun...

Some extremely difficult rooms, some that were pretty easy. A lot of difficult rooms, though.

The ship certainly cost me some hair.

Not a lot more to say...I give it an 8 with 8 brains.

Josh

01-30-2007 at 08:19 PM
CrazyDiamond
Rank Points: 38
Very strange, I have downloaded this from the holds list without knowing anything about the unsolvable room, but I conquered it anyway and the file is called "The steps.hold" and not "The final steps.hold". Also the picture posted apparently doesn't seem to differ from the room I've played.

So did I play the updated version (but it's has been renamed like the original one) or the old one?

[Last edited by CrazyDiamond at 08-31-2014 11:42 AM]
08-31-2014 at 11:41 AM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4576
Right-clicking on the image confirms that it's linked from Caravel's "Insert DROD Room image" feature -- which means you are now seeing an image of the updated version. All these issues were sorted out years ago, and there are no unsolvable holds on CaravelNet any more ;)

08-31-2014 at 01:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
CrazyDiamond
Rank Points: 38
Thank you :)

Anyway I've completed new 15 holds this summer and this is the best one. The boat room is a masterpiece and surely one of the most difficult rooms I've ever played.

[Last edited by CrazyDiamond at 08-31-2014 01:36 PM]
08-31-2014 at 01:33 PM
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
This is an incredible hold! There are a few rooms which end up being a bit long and tedious, but all the rooms, including the long ones, have some interesting ideas in them.

Most of the rooms are just great. The Northern section of the level actually really interested me, and it might make a good theme for a custom hold some day. I also really loved the sense of exploration with this hold; in my opinion it pulls off that feeling better than some holds that are based around the idea of exploration.

The difficulty of this hold is fairly high, but it's a good kind of difficulty. Also I agree with everyone else who said that the boat room was pretty nasty. I haven't felt that good after finishing a room in a long time.

11-29-2017 at 03:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : The steps (One of Beethro´s nightmare) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com