Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Vector Vendetta (updated July 2010) (Multiplayer, boss monster, and demo recording!)
Page 4 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
wonkyth
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
IP: Logged
icon Re: Vector Vendetta (updated August 2009) (0)  
-When I try to change the difficulty setting, either I can't do it, or the settings scroll so fast I can't read them, so I'm basically stuck playing on Easy.
Pressing space changes it just the once.
Although I would agree that making it so that you only get one input per click on the menu would make things easier.

-Sometimes there's one more enemy than usual when starting a level.
I'd say that this is either an extra quirk of the harder difficulty settings, or just an extra quirk of the new version in general.

-Also when starting a level, sometimes I get an enemy that isn't introduced until later levels. I started with a Kudzu on Brick level, and a Xaos on Wonk 2.0, just to name some recent examples.
Same as above.

-No matter how long I take to complete a level, I have yet to see the crosshair chase after me.
I was wondering about this as well.
Admittedly, when playing on hard I either Die quick or win quick, so as I haven't been actively testing for it, it could be possible that I just haven't hung around long enough.
You said that you had only played on easy so far, so perhaps it only occurs on harder modes?

-Could you please make an option to change the current er, "crosshair" to an average crosshair, something of this kind? I personally am unable to aim even slightly well with the current crosshair, without looking directly at it.
While this would definitely be possible, the crosshair itself would have to be rather basic, as the actual mechanics of the game run as a low resolution(320x200).
I generally find it easier to not focus on anything, and to pinpoint the location of the crosshair not by looking at the cross, but by noting the coordinates that the lines enter the screen at.
I'm currently working on a strategy guide for VV that includes tactics for aiming, but I haven't finished it yet, and I wont be able to until I've beat it on hard a few times.

-I also encountered problem with noticing and discerning the enemy bullets from mine (just a couple of minutes ago I was playing happily, when suddenly, seemingly without a reason, I lost a life). Perhaps making them twice as big could help?
Basically, Yours are white, the enemy's are not.
Changing the enemy bullet colour to one that contrasts more with your colour(white) would make them easier to tell from theirs, but would also make them harder to see overall, as they would then contrast less with the background(black).
The reason you lost a life for no apparent reason could be one of many:
Wonks can go offscreen, so if you were sitting on the edge of the screen they could have hit you from behind without you noticing;
the Schro can come back to life, so if you were sitting were it was, then it could have appeared under you;
Kami's can also go offscreen;
Chells can warp;
Phobe's can also go offscreen;
Wraiths are nearly invisible most of the time, so running into one is rather easy.

Also, when you get the Pierce powerup, your bullets are twice as big!

My top score on hard so far has been 8715.
How are other people going?
Radiant, I assume you have beaten it on hard, so i suppose I've lost my title for the moment. :weep

EDIT: Once the Beta quarantine is over, will you then post it on the AGS forums, even if it's not an adventure game, which was your original reason?

But Nonsense Transforms it"
- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes

[Last edited by wonkyth at 08-07-2009 11:06 AM]
08-07-2009 at 10:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wonkyth
I finally managed to beat the UAO on hard, and setting my highest score at 13373.
Until other people - including you, Radiant - have confirmed their high scores, I can't be sure whether this is enough to give me back my beloved title.
I must say, having the game end after the UAO is a little disappointing, but then considering I lost a good 4 lives just on the UAO, I'm not sure whether I'd have lasted much longer!
I do reckon the UAOs claw should be longer, or at least on hard.
except for the damn blue bullets it was pouring out like a bowl of punch, I reckon I could have got through unscathed.
If the arm had been longer, it would have been harder, that's for sure.

Now all I have to do is beat those infernally high scores on the other modes...

EDIT: Two things:

There is no way - Not on Earth, Not in vector space - it would be possible to get a score of 4:00 in a Battle game on the fourth(I'm not giving that away!) difficulty level!

I think Primes are supposed to do a bit more than just spin about looking like a pencil. If they do project this energy-field like they're supposed to, there doesn't seem to be any visual sign of it.

EDIT 2:
The Primes definitely do make it harder, but there still isn't a way to see it.

Also, I only just noticed that my name is on the high-score list to start with. Nice. :)

- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes

[Last edited by wonkyth at 08-09-2009 12:25 PM]
08-08-2009 at 01:37 PM
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
Thanks for the feedback; I'll get around to fixing that ASAP.

I'd be happy to change the crosshair; on the other hand I don't think that changing the bullets is going to be all that useful. And yes, your bullets are white whereas the enemy's are not. Perhaps I should change their color from yellow to pink or bright blue instead.

The Mystic wrote:
-Also when starting a level, sometimes I get an enemy that isn't introduced until later levels. I started with a Kudzu on Brick level, and a Xaos on Wonk 2.0, just to name some recent examples.
This is intentional, to keep the player on his toes. The chances of it happening are rather small, though.

wonkyth wrote:
While this would definitely be possible, the crosshair itself would have to be rather basic, as the actual mechanics of the game run as a low resolution(320x200).
640x480, actually.

the Schro can come back to life, so if you were sitting were it was, then it could have appeared under you;
That should not be possible (the Schro delays its respawning until you're no longer on top of it, and yes, that is a valid strategy in getting rid of them).

08-10-2009 at 08:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The Mystic
Rank Points: 18
Radiant wrote:
The Mystic wrote:
This is intentional, to keep the player on his toes. The chances of it happening are rather small, though.
If you say so. It happens for me about once every three levels. Not that I really mind, I was just curious.
Radiant wrote:
wonkyth wrote:
That should not be possible (the Schro delays its respawning until you're no longer on top of it, and yes, that is a valid strategy in getting rid of them).
Speaking of the Schro, is it supposed to be able to come back while it's still on the screen after respawning? I started a level with just one Schro, and after I killed it, it respawned itself; and before I could kill it again, two more appeared.

Click here to view the secret text

08-11-2009 at 06:38 PM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
I think I have found a bug (unless it was intended):
I killed the UAO on Easy, then, without closing the game, changed the difficulty to Normal and, without getting the game over (or even dying once) reached the UAO and when there was the "UAO Introductory" screen, there was no text, it hanged for two seconds, and without the fight I saw the Well Done message and the Hiscore window appeared. So, apparently, UAO's status/HP is not reset when you complete the game.

08-13-2009 at 10:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Radiant
The Mystic wrote:Speaking of the Schro, is it supposed to be able to come back while it's still on the screen after respawning?
Well, no. But can anyone confirm that this is really happening and not the result of Battle mode or Neumann in the level? Because I checked the code and I fail to see how this is actually possible.

08-13-2009 at 11:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The Mystic
When that happened, it was on standard mode, and I didn't encounter a single Neumann the entire game. I haven't even managed to get back to Neumann level yet; then again, I'm not trying all that hard.

As to the code, the only thing I can think of is that even after the Schro respawns, the game might still think the Schro is dead, and creates another. (And before you ask, no, I've never actually seen the code, nor do I really want to; but that doesn't stop me from "playing computer" with what's supposed to happen versus what really does happen.)

[Last edited by The Mystic at 08-14-2009 02:55 AM]
08-14-2009 at 02:53 AM
Radiant
Okay, I think I've fixed every bug mentioned in this thread so far. Also, the crosshair now looks like a normal crosshair, and player bullets are darker (so the key is, if it's bright, avoid it!) Let me know if there are any further issues.

http://crystalshard.net/zip/VECTOR.ZIP

08-14-2009 at 09:35 PM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Great job with the new version! I like the new crosshair (finally I can aim with the corner of my eye), but I have found a very weird bug just a moment ago.
I reached the UAO on Hard, with all powerups, around 4 lives and item selected at Laser. I decided to waste this powerup to tickle the UAO a bit, so I flew right next to it and hit space (or was it RMB?) Then, the UAO disappeared (in one step it moved around 50 pixels down-left, and on the second it disappeared completely). The only part that remained was the middle square, which stood in place and shoot laser. After a few seconds I destroyed it, one Snipe came out of it (which I killed) and then nothing happened. I stood for around 2 minutes and nothing changed, so I escaped to the main menu.
The other problem I run into was that on the BFG's introductory screen, the BFG actually shoot!

08-14-2009 at 10:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Radiant
skell wrote:
Then, the UAO disappeared (in one step it moved around 50 pixels down-left,
Okay, since I was online anyway - fixed now.

08-14-2009 at 11:07 PM
wonkyth
Radiant You are Still avoiding my question!
Will it be posted on the AGS forums?

More opponents would be nice, but all the regulars around here have played it, and as far as I can tell, You're the only one who has got a score higher than me, let alone unlocked the Radiant Difficulty Level.

Actually, that's another question: What is Your high-score in the new version?

- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
08-15-2009 at 12:20 PM
Radiant
wonkyth wrote:
Will it be posted on the AGS forums?
Yes, once we're done beta testing. No need to get upset.

More opponents would be nice,
If you want opponents, I'd suggest you find some. Note that an adventure community is not the best place to find opponents for an arcade game, so perhaps you could find some retro arcade gaming community and tell them about the game.

What is Your high-score in the new version?
My present score doesn't count since it was made before the last changes to the game. You've probably spent more time playing this than I have.

08-15-2009 at 12:49 PM
The Mystic
Got to the UAO on easy. Disappointing. Also, I don't like the new crosshair; it's extremely distracting for me (I keep thinking it's an enemy).

Now that I figured how to change the difficulty, I gave the Radiant setting a try with the standard game. Interesting, to say the least. Two questions: Are all the enemies supposed to be a bluish color; and is it the only difficulty setting where the red crosshair chases after you?

A question on survival mode: Are enemies supposed to start out larger and larger as time goes on?

08-18-2009 at 03:59 PM
Radiant
The Mystic wrote:
Got to the UAO on easy. Disappointing.
Why is it disappointing?

Also, I don't like the new crosshair; it's extremely distracting for me (I keep thinking it's an enemy).
I can add a menu option to change it back to the large lines, I suppose.

Are all the enemies supposed to be a bluish color;
No, that just means a Prime is in the level.

and is it the only difficulty setting where the red crosshair chases after you?
Shouldn't be the case, no.

A question on survival mode: Are enemies supposed to start out larger and larger as time goes on?
Yes.

08-18-2009 at 04:22 PM
wonkyth
The UAO isn't that fantastic on easy, as it only fires a couple of shots and moves fairly non-threateningly.
However, on hard you do get the small advantage of having more levels to build up power-ups on.
I haven't got to the UAO on Radiant yet, so I cant say what I think of it there, but I'll say this: If it's too much harder than the hard one, it could impossible.
I lost four lives just from the nasty looping blue shots hitting me in the back!
Perhaps there could be a few more ordinary nasties?

I'd like the Large Line type crosshair, personally.

I still haven't seen the Crosshair of Smiting in the new version, but as I said, normally I die quickly, or win quickly.

Also, I noticed that there aren't (as m)any crystals to start with in the harder modes in survival and battle modes.
That is probably the nastiest bit of going harder, less weaponry. :-O

- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
08-19-2009 at 10:48 AM
The Mystic
Radiant wrote:
The Mystic wrote:
Got to the UAO on easy. Disappointing.
Why is it disappointing?
It's not because of difficulty (or lack thereof on easy), but for the following reasons:

Reason #1: The UAO is downright ugly, pure and simple. Awesome graphics aren't necessary to make a great game, but in my book, aesthetics count a bit.
Reason #2: It's the last level. Not to nitpick, but I would've liked to keep going until my remaining lives were gone.
Also, I don't like the new crosshair; it's extremely distracting for me (I keep thinking it's an enemy).
I can add a menu option to change it back to the large lines, I suppose.
That works for me. There will always be someone who prefers one type of crosshair over the other, so having both available may be a good compromise.
and is it the only difficulty setting where the red crosshair chases after you?
Shouldn't be the case, no.
Odd. I've been in levels on all difficulty settings long enough (on purpose or otherwise) for it to appear, and so far it's only chased after me on Radiant difficulty. EDIT: I just double-checked; the red crosshair does appear on all difficulty settings, but whether or not it actually appears seems to be random.

[Last edited by The Mystic at 08-19-2009 06:47 PM]
08-19-2009 at 04:01 PM
Radiant
The Mystic wrote:
Reason #1: The UAO is downright ugly, pure and simple.
Hm, tricky. On the one hand it's going to be hard to make a good boss out of mere vectors. On the other hand, it would seem that everything else in the game is a pure geometric shape, and this one is not, so it's really the odd man out. Suggestions, anyone?

Reason #2: It's the last level. Not to nitpick, but I would've liked to keep going until my remaining lives were gone.
Easy enough to change. Although I suppose that (especially on easy mode) a skilled enough player could keep this up indefinitely.

I just double-checked; the red crosshair does appear on all difficulty settings, but whether or not it actually appears seems to be random.
That would be a bug. I'll find some time to fix that.

08-31-2009 at 11:57 PM
wonkyth
Nothing comes to mind about a new shape for the boss, although I currently have no problem with it.
The problem is that to keep its current functions the proportions would have to be similar, and that leaves you with a rather boring looking thing.
You could always change it entirely, but it would have to be a major change, such as making it like some big black hole, or maybe a long snake like thing.
That seems like a lot of trouble just because the shape is a tad odd.

If you did want something a bit more flamboyant, I can think of a few things that sound a bit cool off the top of my head...

...The big snake could have some nice manoeuvres, but could be extremely complex...

...A black hole does seem sort-of in the theme of the game, and would certainly make the level tricky...

...Maybe something that changed shape?

- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
09-02-2009 at 01:26 PM
Jim Reed
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
http://i48.tinypic.com/2ahbeo1.png

Wonkyth told me to post this here somewhere.
Where is the High Score table?

[Last edited by Jim Reed at 03-06-2010 12:40 PM]
03-06-2010 at 12:39 PM
wonkyth
Ah, well done Jimmy!
Jim here has had a higher score than me for a while now, but I only just convinced him to post it.

To save people some trouble, it's 14129 on hard!
:thumbsup

- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
03-07-2010 at 09:56 AM
Jim Reed
03-08-2010 at 12:37 PM
wonkyth
Shite that's good.
What difficulty level?

- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
03-13-2010 at 12:02 PM
Radiant
Oh yeah that reminds me, I should still update the UAO...

03-13-2010 at 12:24 PM
wonkyth
Radiant wrote:
Oh yeah that reminds me, I should still update the UAO...
...To?

- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
03-14-2010 at 11:22 AM
Danjen02
Rank Points: 11
Something better? :P

03-14-2010 at 10:44 PM
Jim Reed
I don't know a way to change the difficulty in Battle Game. Actually the score is pretty easy to beat. With some minor luck that is. =P

What is the UAO? Is there a high-score table somwhere around here? Can somebody show me where?
03-15-2010 at 12:16 PM
wonkyth
Jim, the UAO is the big bad-ass thing at the end of the standard game.

- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
03-27-2010 at 04:16 AM
Jim Reed
Ah, yes, Unindentified ass-kicking object.
If you ask me, the UAO is pretty easy to beat.
I suggest you just add another one for more challenge, because he actually only killed me once with that hand...and that was intentionally, so I can see what it does. Having two UAO-s would make it more challenging IMO. Heck, while you are at it, meke the last fight take place as a chase through the asteroid belt =)
03-29-2010 at 05:50 PM
Radiant
Jim Reed wrote:
I don't know a way to change the difficulty in Battle Game.
There is one difficulty setting in the menu, and it applies to all three game modes.

05-13-2010 at 11:58 AM
Radiant
Okay, this is hopefully the vinal version of Vector Vendetta.

Primarily, I've made the UAO a bit harder to defeat. And second, the game now records a demo when you play, which can be saved, shared with your friends, and posted to the forum.

Enjoy!

05-13-2010 at 11:59 AM
Page 4 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Vector Vendetta (updated July 2010) (Multiplayer, boss monster, and demo recording!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com