Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Symphony (A symphony of puzzles.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.0/10 (11 votes)
σ 2.04
Author Name:Roger
Submitted By:calamarain
Hold Name:Symphony
Theme:A symphony of puzzles.
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:5
Number of Rooms:55
Number of Monsters:377
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.1)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:2 (+2 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Symphony.hold (33.4 KB)
Downloaded 1053 times.
License: Other
icon Symphony  
A hold loosely based around musical themes. Each level has its own style and its own quirks.

This hold is intended to be challenging, but not massively difficult.
05-01-2008 at 01:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
calamarain
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 933
icon Re: Symphony (0)  
Huzzah, it's out!

Thanks very much to my betas, you helped me greatly. Same to the HA's, you guys rock.

A challenge for you - modpoints will be given to the first person to complete the hold and post here about it (sadly, betas/HAs must be excluded as they'd have an unfair advantage). If you don't have CaravelNet, a demo of you exiting the final room will suffice.

[Last edited by calamarain at 05-01-2008 03:06 PM]
05-01-2008 at 02:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mikko
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 276
Yeah... ummm... I mastered it! (You don't need any proof, do you?)
05-01-2008 at 02:43 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
calamarain
Mikko wrote:
Yeah... ummm... I mastered it! (You don't need any proof, do you?)
:P I might just have to check the high scores...

05-01-2008 at 02:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
I'm sure you'll soon see the flaw in *that* plan ;)

Edit: Might as well clarify. Sure, that's easy for CaravelNet users. If you don't want to exclude others (like Mikko) from this race, you could also consider victory demos for final rooms or something as an alternative.

[Last edited by Doom at 05-01-2008 02:54 PM]
05-01-2008 at 02:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Doom wrote:
I'm sure you'll soon see the flaw in *that* plan ;)

Edit: Might as well clarify. Sure, that's easy for CaravelNet users. If you don't want to exclude others (like Mikko) from this race, you could also consider victory demos for final rooms or something as an alternative.
You're quite right.

If you don't have CaravelNet, but still want to win the modpoints, then you could post a demo of you exiting the final room instead :)

Edited above, btw. I'm not going to insist on mastery, because proving that if you don't have Caravelnet would be long and annoying.

05-01-2008 at 03:05 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
icon Re: Symphony (+1)  
Not eligible so not bucking for points, but I have mastered this and find it to be a solid and fairly enjoyable hold, if not necessarily the best of Calamarain's holds.

I give it an 8 for fun and 5 brains.

Josh

05-01-2008 at 06:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
icon Re: Symphony (+3)  
Aaaaaand Mastered!
Though I'm afraid TF beat me to it :)

Well, a great hold in my opinion. There is a few rooms I didn't really like, but there's also lots of fun room, and some extremely good puzzles. The first and second levels is the levels I like the most, I'm not really a fan of the third level (except 1N1E, which was brilliant), but there's some really good stuff in the last levels too :)

So, a nine overall, with six brains.

05-02-2008 at 09:11 PM
calamarain
Rheb wrote:
Aaaaaand Mastered!
Though I'm afraid TF beat me to it :)
Have a modpoint or two anyway. Plus, I did say the first person to beat the hold and post about it here :) We partially share the same opinion, I thought the second and fourth levels were the best.

[Last edited by calamarain at 05-02-2008 09:23 PM]
05-02-2008 at 09:21 PM
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
Err... why did someone just vote this hold a 1 :?

I can see how the start can be a bit disturbing, but seriously, that's really not a reason to just go and rate the hold a 1!

I know that it's not sure if the person in question got stuck in the first room. But as a note in general, if you get stuck in a early part of a hold you know many people have enjoyed, please, either just put the hold aside, without rating it, or post in H&S.

05-04-2008 at 04:24 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
My guess is that the "auto-rank" when somebody hits R on the hold select screen strikes again.

This needs to be changed if we're going to have a believable hold ranking system.

05-04-2008 at 05:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bflatjeff
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 93
icon Re: Symphony (+1)  
I like the hold. Spent a good chunk of Monday morning on it, now on level 2. Definitely some challenging stuff here, but not too brain-twistingly hard.

Just a few comments regarding the level names. This could easily get long-winded, so feel free to skip if you don't care so much. I must tell you, as a musician, that they don't fit anything we would normally call a symphony. An overture is most often a piece of wordless music that precedes a dramatic work, such as an opera or stage play. They are often performed separately from the dramatic works, often as concert openers, and for this reason some pieces written to fill that role are also called overtures. The Baroque period had a different definition of overture, but let's just leave that alone, since they also had a very different definition of symphony (symphonie, sinfonia). A prelude is usually the first movement of an instrumental suite (see Bach's partitas, partita being another name for a suite), or else any piece with a rather free character (see Chopin or Debussy's preludes, which aren't meant to precede anything in particular). Toccata and Fugue: fine, although these are traditionally thought of as Baroque forms and wouldn't often appear in a symphony, apart from some neo-classical or neo-Baroque ones (William Schuman's Symphony no. 3 from 1941 has both a Toccata and a Fugue). The Grand Finale is closest to how symphony movements are usually labeled. Your prototypical Classical- or Romantic-period symphony has four movements: A first movement in sonata allegro form (a complicated definition you really don't want me going into) most often titled by its tempo marking 'Allegro', or 'Adagio - Allego' if it has a slower introduction; a slow second movement, just called 'Andante', 'Adagio' or some similarly slow tempo marking; a faster third movement in triple time, a 'Minuet and Trio' if Classical and a 'Scherzo' if Romantic; and a final movement, often 'Allegro' again, although you can term it a 'Finale' if you please. I know: the names are boring.
Also, your key scheme is quite irregular, particularly having four movements in major, only to end in A minor! But I'll stop, I've already gone on far too long. The pedantic musicologist in me couldn't resist.

BbJ

[Last edited by bflatjeff at 05-07-2008 05:17 AM]
05-07-2008 at 05:16 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Man, I appreciate a good pedantry.
05-07-2008 at 06:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
bflatjeff wrote:
Also, your key scheme is quite irregular, particularly having four movements in major, only to end in A minor! But I'll stop, I've already gone on far too long. The pedantic musicologist in me couldn't resist.
That part was intentional :P The first four level are (to me at least) pleasant, fair and nice.

The Finale level, with all the tar is none of the above. So I felt it warranted a minor key.

As for the rest... yeah :) You're right.

05-07-2008 at 05:21 PM
fratropea
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 87
Very interesting hold whith some rooms very tricky... :thumbsup
I give 8 for difficulty and overall ;)

[Last edited by fratropea at 05-07-2008 11:42 PM]
05-07-2008 at 11:41 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Symphony (A symphony of puzzles.) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com