Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : *Slayers End* (Medium difficulty puzzles with a bit of story.)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

6.8/10 (28 votes)
σ 2.59
Author Name:Neather2
Submitted By:Neather2
Hold Name:Slayers' end
Theme:Medium difficulty puzzles with a bit of story.
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:15
Number of Rooms:93
Number of Monsters:407
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.2)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:2 (+2 / -0)
Poster Message
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
IP: Logged
icon Re: *Slayers End* (+1)  
Neather2 wrote:
Another 1

-.-
I'd just like to point out that complaining about a few low votes is just as bad as asking for high votes purely for the sake of it. This is especially while boasting about it in your signature.

Could you please avoid doing it? Let people vote how they want to; trying to encourage sympathy posts and high votes by complaining could just as easily backfire and have you annoying people instead.

Thanks.

02-21-2009 at 04:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
13th Slayer
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 27
icon Re: *Slayers End* (0)  
mxvladi wrote:
13th Slayer wrote:
Click here to view the secret text

13th Slayer wrote:
И нефиг моддаунить за ерунду. Плюс у мя и так одно очко дебил.

You're not the only person here who knows russian you know.

When will you learn good manners, I wonder(the thing he told is very rude)?

By the way, I voted 9 for fun-rating of this hold. It's really great hold and I'd like to see more holds from Neather2.
I can be more rude as well... And he called me a complete ass which is rude too, DYT?
02-21-2009 at 06:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zwetschenwasser
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 200
Whoa, there, folks! Hold yer horses and put a smile on yer faces...

OR YOU WON'T GET COOKIES!!!

Mmm... Cookies ;)

[Last edited by zwetschenwasser at 02-21-2009 06:21 PM]
02-21-2009 at 06:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3408
You know, the thing I liked least about being a TA was dealing with people trying to beg and plead their way into the next grade bracket instead of, you know, studying. Now it hits DROD, of all places. You want that 8.0 for a highly unlikely shot at an SmS? Build a better hold, instead of whining to have low scores removed for the sake of being low. That 1 might be someone being a jerk, but the 3? Someone just didn't like the hold. Deal.

Now that you have some experience, why not spend a bunch of time on the next hold and *earn* a good score? People do it all the time (it doesn't even require an established reputation!), and there's no reason why you can't as well. I might even consider helping beta test if you get it in a fairly polished form first.

Rant over.

02-21-2009 at 07:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
Вы обезьян в вашем блинов, которые делают их вкус плохой. :sick
____V____
:yes (:|) :no

DON'T MIND ME I WAS NEVER HERE OR WAS I YOU KNOW I WAS WELL I DON'T BUT THAT'S OKAY

02-22-2009 at 02:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Neather2
Rank Points: 406
13th Slayer wrote:
mxvladi wrote:
13th Slayer wrote:

13th Slayer wrote:

By the way, I voted 9 for fun-rating of this hold. It's really great hold and I'd like to see more holds from Neather2.
I can be more rude as well... And he called me a complete ass which is rude too, DYT?

What i did, sorry? :huh

Conspiracy, my new hold, has just been released.
02-22-2009 at 06:11 AM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Sigh! The fact that this hold has gotten two votes of fun-raiting 2 since Neather2 started arguing seems like people voting for what they think of Neather2's "silly" argument, and not what they think of the hold. It's a bit too coincidental otherwise.

I don't like it. I think that votes should reflect feelings towards a hold, not feelings towards a person.
02-22-2009 at 07:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
13th Slayer
Neather2 wrote:
13th Slayer wrote:
mxvladi wrote:
13th Slayer wrote:

13th Slayer wrote:

What i did, sorry? :huh
Kwakstur did this. And the thing i wrote was something like "You're crazy" and it's because sending PMs to Mike for the reason like that...
02-22-2009 at 12:45 PM
13th Slayer
Kwakstur wrote:
Вы обезьян в вашем блинов, которые делают их вкус плохой. :sick
____V____
:yes (:|) :no

DON'T MIND ME I WAS NEVER HERE OR WAS I YOU KNOW I WAS WELL I DON'T BUT THAT'S OKAY
You just said "You're monkeys in our pancakes, which make their taste bad". But all the words were written in incorrect form.

[Last edited by 13th Slayer at 02-22-2009 01:00 PM]
02-22-2009 at 12:47 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
zwetschenwasser wrote:

Mmm... Cookies ;)
This is beginning to get out of hand, people. Please could we not let this degenerate into a flamewar? (See above)

13th Slayer, Kwakstur, et al. please don't insult each other any more; it's not helpful in any way and just makes things worse. It really doesn't matter who did it first and who said what; an insult with an intention is an insult no matter what you say. And 13th Slayer in particular, I know you are a keen DRODer and want to participate on the forum, but you should try to be more polite. If someone insults you, please don't respond to say something rude; you become as bad as them if you do. Simply change the topic, ask the person who said it to stop or just don't say anything. If you don't agree, please drop me a PM and we can try to sort things out in private. Please don't add anything more here.

To everyone who voted for this hold (this includes the five 10s as well), please stop. Play the hold (again if necessary), make a decision based on what you think of it, and re-vote. Please don't base anything on what was said in this thread.

Neather2, I did say above that this might happen, and unfortunately, it did. I understand the feeling of accomplishment one gets from praise given to your work, and also the disappointment when not everyone agrees, but this is inevitable, I'm afraid. The best thing you can do for now is not to bring this up again and make the reference to the rating in your signature secreted or remove it completely. Hopefully people will now rate the hold as it deserves rather than being spiteful with 1s and 2s.

Also, take Dischorran's advice; why not start building a new hold rather than worrying about this one? You'll get much more constructive attention if you do, and a chance to make an even better hold. Think about it: even if your first hold eventually settles at 6.5, that's good. Imagine what rating your second one could have if you make an even better one!

Okay everyone, please carry on. :)

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 02-22-2009 01:24 PM]
02-22-2009 at 01:22 PM
13th Slayer
OK, whatever. Sorry, everyone. Oh, and Kwakstur, would you please explain WHAT you wanted to say??? I mean the thing you wrote is crazy
02-22-2009 at 02:33 PM
Neather2
Rank Points: 406
icon Re: *Slayers End* (-1)  
agaricus5 wrote:
zwetschenwasser wrote:

Mmm... Cookies ;)
This is beginning to get out of hand, people. Please could we not let this degenerate into a flamewar? (See above)

13th Slayer, Kwakstur, et al. please don't insult each other any more; it's not helpful in any way and just makes things worse. It really doesn't matter who did it first and who said what; an insult with an intention is an insult no matter what you say. And 13th Slayer in particular, I know you are a keen DRODer and want to participate on the forum, but you should try to be more polite. If someone insults you, please don't respond to say something rude; you become as bad as them if you do. Simply change the topic, ask the person who said it to stop or just don't say anything. If you don't agree, please drop me a PM and we can try to sort things out in private. Please don't add anything more here.

To everyone who voted for this hold (this includes the five 10s as well), please stop. Play the hold (again if necessary), make a decision based on what you think of it, and re-vote. Please don't base anything on what was said in this thread.

Neather2, I did say above that this might happen, and unfortunately, it did. I understand the feeling of accomplishment one gets from praise given to your work, and also the disappointment when not everyone agrees, but this is inevitable, I'm afraid. The best thing you can do for now is not to bring this up again and make the reference to the rating in your signature secreted or remove it completely. Hopefully people will now rate the hold as it deserves rather than being spiteful with 1s and 2s.

Also, take Dischorran's advice; why not start building a new hold rather than worrying about this one? You'll get much more constructive attention if you do, and a chance to make an even better hold. Think about it: even if your first hold eventually settles at 6.5, that's good. Imagine what rating your second one could have if you make an even better one!

Okay everyone, please carry on. :)

Really, i started a new hold a month ago.

Conspiracy, my new hold, has just been released.
02-22-2009 at 02:37 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
13th Slayer wrote:
OK, whatever. Sorry, everyone. Oh, and Kwakstur, would you please explain WHAT you wanted to say??? I mean the thing you wrote is crazy
I have a hunch he was just using some online translator to translate some english sentence into russian...

np: The Qemists - Drop Audio (Join The Q)

02-22-2009 at 04:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
I'm just posting in this thread.

Move along.
02-28-2009 at 09:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
13th Slayer
Banjooie wrote:
I'm just posting in this thread.

Move along.
:huh Necrobumper!!! :angry :angry :angry
02-28-2009 at 03:20 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
6 days is not a necro...

Enjoying this hold so far. I'll vote upon completion though.
03-01-2009 at 01:20 AM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
It's a Zombie Bump.

Here's a scale off the top of my head.

Under 24 hours--Monty Python Bump. (I'm not dead yet!)

24-72 hours--Jesus Bump. And on the third day, he rose from the dead (according to Christian doctrine)

72-96 hours--Lazarus Bump. Yeah, the guy was dead, but according to the bible (or Bible), he'd been in the tomb (dead) for four days.

96 hours-7 days--Zombie Bump. While it may be back to "life", somebody's probably going to notice the chunk of flesh that's gone from your face.

1 week-2 weeks--Exhumation Bump. The mortician missed something in the murder trial that might exonerate somebody living.

2 weeks-1 month--Wrong Body Bump. The funeral director discovered that they had accidentally flip-flopped hearses on the way to the cemetery.

1 month-2 months--Rotting Corpse Bump. Not too much can be salvaged from this, unless you're an entomologist.

2 months and up--Necrobump. Often irrelevant, unless you're looking to reuse the casket. Still, there are few skilled technicians at this craft, who can shed some new light on the case (cold case research). Often, though, the comments are useless and disregarded.

Nothing to say on the hold though. I think this is the one with that 5 mimic puzzle where you have to get them into a higher corridor, for some reason. Bugs me.

03-01-2009 at 02:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
13th Slayer
Mxvladi asked me to write something here.
03-01-2009 at 10:38 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Because I totally was the one who randomly necro'd this out of nowhere.
03-02-2009 at 06:44 AM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
I just got around to finishing this hold and wanted to comment on it.

Overall, it was a good effort. Many of the puzzles were some combination of interesting, challenging and fun.

There were some that I didn't care for, mostly ones involving fancy footwork, not for optimization's sake, but simply to be able to complete the room. I don't generally think that rooms should be that exacting unless you're performing at the top level of difficulty, which overall this hold is not. (And even then, the best examples of this type of puzzle -- a la Perfection or Beethro's Teacher -- don't require seemingly random moves.) But that's a minor rant.

Overall, good puzzles and a fun hold. I gave it a 7 for fun and 6 brains.

Josh

09-21-2009 at 03:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
noma
Rank Points: 1594
Others have already pointed out issues that bothered me as well, but overall I quite liked this hold. There were some really interesting original puzzles here. It took me a while to conquer because of one room that had been frustrating me for a long time. But--and this is a good "but"--I kept coming back to it because, even though I couldn't solve it, I still enjoyed working on the puzzle. And I found a lot of rooms were like that: tricky or finicky, but still compelling. Once I finally getting past that room, I got through the rest of the hold pretty quickly. I did feel that checkpoint placement was a bit erratic: many were well placed, others seems to have been overlooked or placed poorly, but at least the effort was made to think about the player. The ending was a bit anticlimactic, but that's a story weakness and, for me, didn't detract from the overall enjoyability of the hold. And, if you're an optimizer, I think there are still quite a few number 1's waiting to be claimed.
Fun: 8
Difficulty: 5.5
06-17-2010 at 03:08 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
And mastered - Very similar feelings to noma, and I too was stuck on a room for a while (wouldn't happen to be the aumtlich + 2 mirrors + trapdoor room, would it? :)).

Very good effort in this hold and some excellent puzzles...
09-06-2010 at 08:38 PM
martz
Rank Points: 414
This is a decent hold with some issues.

There are some nice puzzles here but the difficulty fluctuates a lot (early on there is a room with 5 mimics immediately followed by a brained roach race which were pretty tough), there are also a few rooms which don't work as intended including one who's solution is spoiled by a secret passage. There are also a few frustrating snake manipulation rooms.

I don't want to focus too much on the negatives so would say I did enjoy the roach queen puzzles the most.

The story is not up to much with a number of spelling and grammar errors (allowing for the architect being a non-native English speaker) and the ending wasn't very satisfying (given the theme I had to laugh that there was only one slayer to kill with a bomb and you didn't even have to do that...)

As a first hold this is a good effort and definitely worthy of your time

Difficulty: 6.5
Fun: 7

Progress - Gavin G
01-12-2021 at 01:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : *Slayers End* (Medium difficulty puzzles with a bit of story.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com