Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Artful Architecture (Tricky puzzles; themed levels.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

9.1/10 (16 votes)
σ 0.83
Author Name:Jutt
Submitted By:Jutt
Hold Name:Artful Architecture
Theme:Tricky puzzles; themed levels.
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:4
Number of Rooms:44
Number of Monsters:297
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.1)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:3 (+3 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Artful Architecture.hold (19.7 KB)
Downloaded 1471 times.
License: Other
icon Artful Architecture  
Artful Architecture is the second hold I've created.

It is a collection of four levels, each containing eight normal puzzle rooms and one secret. There is no overall storyline, the hold focuses on the puzzle aspect only.
This should be the perfect hold for all the puzzle fans out there, as it is fairly challenging according to the beta testers.

My thanks go to the kind forum members who commented on this hold on the architecture board, especially to:
CuriousShyRabit, for playtesting the entire hold, commenting on every room and thereby helping me to find unintended solutions for many rooms;
Dischorran, For some insightful thoughts and finding unintended solutions on the first two levels.

03-22-2008 at 11:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3626
icon Re: Artful Architecture (+1)  
As someone who did beta test this hold (a little bit) and as someone who apparently is good at the game and makes hard puzzles, I can say that the first level was really hard and that I never made it to the second level :)

(maybe I'll be able to now it's released)

It's a good hold, though, and I'd recommend you play it, if only so you can sit back in awe.

03-22-2008 at 11:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407
Chaco wrote:
It's a good hold, though, and I'd recommend you play it, if only so you can sit back in awe.
Seconded. The hold has wonderfully designed puzzles that are guaranteed to make your brain try to crawl out your ears to escape. In a good way. :)

03-22-2008 at 11:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
This hold is a work of art. It's a themed collection of *tough* lynchpin puzzles, where the intended solution to each puzzle has an elegant symmetry or asymmetry to it.

Jutt didn't use the same lynchpin twice in this hold. When playing through, I often found myself trying to psych out those elusive solutions by thinking of tricks that I hadn't used yet. The first level hinges on movement order tricks, while the other three levels have obvious monster themes.

Very, very clever. Highly recommended for puzzle connaisseurs. :)
03-22-2008 at 11:35 PM
Mr. Slice
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 140
I found this hold legendary. (In a good way) The puzzles were shock and awe with both the challenge plus the incredible layout design. Seriously, I've never seen a hold as uhh... invaluable as this one. With legendary luck, this might become a Smitemasters Selection. If that does, I'd be happy.

This is a hard hold with cool puzzles. 8 brains and 9 fun. Try it if you feel daring.

03-22-2008 at 11:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Artful Architecture (0)  
Mr. Slice wrote:
With legendary luck, this might become a Smitemasters Selection.
It's already published. Only private beta holds can become Smitemaster's Selections.

03-23-2008 at 12:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mr. Slice
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 140
Oh. How sad. I'm sure Jutt would've been happy if this became a Smitemasters Selection. And so would've a lot a of other people I'm sure.

03-23-2008 at 12:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jutt
Rank Points: 863
Maybe sad, maybe not. Sure, I would have been quite pleased with a sms. But having created a good hold, which is freely available an can be played and enjoyed by everyone, is also very satisfying. And even though the download counter is still at zero, I see the people who played through the beta versions already expressed their likings for the hold. Thank you!

03-23-2008 at 12:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
But does the download counter track downloads in game, downloads via the website, or both?

03-23-2008 at 01:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Really well-designed. Very complicated -- some puzzles I've never seen the like of before.

They're not all excellent, but out of 36 puzzle rooms I think there were maybe one or two that I didn't care for. That's a pretty good ratio.

I give this a 9 for fun, 8 brains.

Josh

03-23-2008 at 11:13 AM
Jutt
Rank Points: 863
Hmm… Last time I checked the hold was rated 9 with 3 votes, now it's 7.4 with 5 votes. One of the two new votes was from jbluestein, who indicated he voted 9, so I can only conclude the 2nd voter rated a 1.

Now this may have been a mistake (like this), which someone may want to correct. If it isn't I would be very interested in what this person wanted to express with that vote and why. I'm quite aware that I cannot please everybody, but I'd appreciate some constructive criticism if you want to give this hold such a low rating.

No hard feelings here, I'm just curious why this happened.

03-23-2008 at 10:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
With any luck Schik can remove said vote unless whoever cast it can provide a reasonable explanation for it.

This is without a doubt a superb puzzle hold. It is difficult, but well worth the struggle.
03-23-2008 at 11:08 PM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
The important question here is: When the person defends their one, who's going to leave the forum THIS time?
03-24-2008 at 07:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
I don't think it's necessary for anyone to "defend" their rating. The average rating won't be very interesting until a couple months have passed, more people have voted, and some have changed their votes to reflect their overall opinion of the hold. I'm just sorry that it's the only thing Jutt can see here.

It's a lot more fun watching other people's demos that show up on CNet. While I hesitate to recommend paying for a CNet subscription now with all the highscore problems, this almost makes it worthwhile. I think it gives a better picture of how people are doing with this hold. For example, no one yet has found Jutt's "elegant solution" to Minimal Art 1E...
03-25-2008 at 08:53 PM
Ivcha Pivcha
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 80
icon Re: Artful Architecture (+2)  
In this hold mostly you’ll have to deal with golems, tarstuff and snakes, yes you heard me right, SNAKES!
I’m aware that many of you will instantly reject this hold when you see snakes in it. Snake is the last type of monster that I didn’t know how to manipulate.
This masterpiece forced me to learn how to manipulate snakes. Hardly that player can conquer this hold without that knowledge even with help of H&S. Even after reading how to manipulate snakes I found it very hard to achieve this with old fashioned watch, so when I discovered Jutt’s Clock using game elements I was delighted. After I install his watch my manipulation skills became improved immensely. So if you don’t have one look no further, it is for free!
Rests of the puzzles (without snakes) are also tough but HEY, I’m warning, you’ll miss a lot of tricks; and if you appreciate an art give this one a try.

Never read books you aren't sure about . . . even supposing that these bad books are very well written from a literary point of view. Let me ask you this: Would you drink something you knew was poisoned just because it was offered to you in a golden cup? ~ St. John Bosco
10-06-2010 at 02:43 PM
OneMoreNameless
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 131
The first level is weak. The solutions are obvious, the puzzle spaces are largely flat, the worst of the difficulty comes from fidgeting with pairs of wraithwings, and even the secret room is just an annoying movement order shuffle.

The second level onwards is great! The setups are clever and often what looks horrible or impossible at first glance actually has a neat solution you'll kick yourself for not realising earlier. Room layouts are pretty and make frequent use of (near) symmetry in their puzzle design. Rock beasts, snakes and tarstuff are the focuses - you will need to know their advanced concepts at times but they're contained enough that it won't turn into a drag. The secret levels are even more difficult, with a heavy dose of planning. I wimped out and skipped them.
01-17-2017 at 12:21 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Artful Architecture (Tricky puzzles; themed levels.) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com