Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Museum Of Ooze (Tar, mud, and gel puzzles.)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

9.1/10 (29 votes)
σ 1.18
Author Name:LarryMurk
Submitted By:larrymurk
Hold Name:Museum Of Ooze
Theme:Tar, mud, and gel puzzles.
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:10
Number of Rooms:45
Number of Monsters:331
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.1)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:4 (+4 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Museum Of Ooze.hold (17.9 KB)
Downloaded 1744 times.
License: Other
icon Museum Of Ooze  
Beethro enters the Museum Of Ooze, better known as the MOO. Our esteemed hero is visiting the MOO today not in search of greater knowledge, but in the pursuit of monetary gain only.

The late Barron Tarmudgel was fascinated with all types of ooze including tar, mud, and gel. He dedicated all his free time to growing, cutting, and mixing ooze. The MOO was constructed to house all the barron's creations.

And the reason for Beethro's arrival?? The Barroness Tarmudgel has generously offered 5000 greckles and a certificate to the first person who solves all the exhibits..
03-12-2008 at 06:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stephen4Louise
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 548
icon Re: Museum Of Ooze (+1)  
Sometimes the best presents come in small packages.

Prepare to say good-bye to your free time for a couple of days. Welcome to the hold that does for tar-stuff, what SSSlitherin did for serpents!

Steve.
03-12-2008 at 07:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
vinheim
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 300
icon Re: Museum Of Ooze (0)  
Yay, a Larrymurk hold. I will play and comment later
03-12-2008 at 08:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Stephen4Louise wrote:
Welcome to the hold that does for tar-stuff, what SSSlitherin did for serpents!
Force everyone to install a graphical mod?
Actually, I'd recommend a transparent tarstuff mod in general.

03-12-2008 at 09:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
icon Re: Museum Of Ooze (+2)  
No, no, no transparent tar mod needed for this terrific hold. And it's nothing like those grueling tarstuff efficiency rooms at the end of JtRH either.

MOO is a set of ~25 lynchpin puzzles based on different tarstuff tricks. In most cases, once you see the trick, the solution is quick to implement. You'll have to grow tarstuff, cut tarstuff, have someone else cut tarstuff, switch tarstuff, make lots of babies, make no babies, trap babies, play with baby movement order, play with baby movement rules, play with brained baby pathmaps, and more. Who would have thought that a tarstuff-only hold would have such a variety of puzzles! Highly recommended :)
03-12-2008 at 11:58 PM
Mr. Slice
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 140
CuriousShyRabbit wrote:
Highly recommended :)

Only to those whose time is completely devoted to physics of Drod. I would recommend this to those who either likes to view incredibly difficult puzzles, or those you know too much about solving puzzles.

I liked the special shows when you completed a level. Some of them were really cool looking!

My only problem isn't at this hold, it's at the people who weren't testers, who still post mastered this hold.

03-13-2008 at 03:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Remlin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 181
Is post mastering any harder than mastering?

Anyway, great hold LarryMurk - after all the recent scripting based holds, it's nice to get back to the pure drod we all know and love. I have to disagree with CSR's comments, though - this hold has lots of rooms where seeing the trick is easy, but actually making it happen is the hard part. (3; 1S and 7; 1S are good examples, those two probably took me the longest to solve.)

I'm always a fan of layouts that let you move around when you're stuck, so thanks for that. Oh, and also thanks for going light on the gel puzzles - I still haven't wrapped my mind around that stuff.

[Last edited by Remlin at 03-13-2008 04:25 AM]
03-13-2008 at 04:24 AM
Hikari
Rank Points: 438
Post mastering means they've solved any rooms hidden behind a master wall. Which... I shudder to think what I might find there in a LarryMurk hold if I ever even manage to complete one of the hard ones of his.

03-13-2008 at 04:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
By the way--I think that this is a very fitting hold for BOTH the 300th hold on the Holds board, and the FIRST Larrymurk hold since he won his lifetime achievement award.

Congrats again, Larry, and thank you.

03-13-2008 at 10:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bflatjeff
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 93
Jeez. I have so many of LarryMurk's holds to play still, and now there's a new one? What have I done- {checks list} Think Outside the Box, Odd Jobs, and bits of Perfection and SSSlitherin. I have Master Locks and haven't touched it yet. Sometime.

BbJ

[Last edited by bflatjeff at 03-14-2008 05:50 AM]
03-14-2008 at 05:48 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
bflatjeff wrote:
What have I done- {checks list} Think Outside the Box, Odd Jobs, and bits of Perfection and SSSlitherin. I have Master Locks and haven't touched it yet. Sometime.
You're *way* ahead of me :D
03-14-2008 at 05:53 AM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
I seldom give out tens. In fact I'm just getting more and more picky about DROD as time goes by. This, however, is perfect. I admit that the last room was a pain, but it's ok. It's alright if the last room is a bit tedius, and it was very clever (as was most of the other rooms). I can only agree with CSR. A wide, wide variety of rooms.
03-14-2008 at 09:23 AM
Dex Stewart
Rank Points: 355
Hikari wrote:
Post mastering means they've solved any rooms hidden behind a master wall. Which... I shudder to think what I might find there in a LarryMurk hold if I ever even manage to complete one of the hard ones of his.

Click here to view the secret text

03-14-2008 at 04:15 PM
Syntax
Yet another beautifully impossible hold. 10/10 and 8 for difficulty (oh, the irony).
03-14-2008 at 10:31 PM
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
Yup, another awesome hold by Larry! With lots of impossible evil rooms that you're just gonna love. :)

My personal favourites have to be Level 5: 1S and Level 7: 1W, two incredibly clever rooms.

03-15-2008 at 03:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sillyman
Rank Points: 339
Argh, another larrymurk hold. I'm restraining myself from voting so I don't give 1/10 on fun and 10/10 on difficulty, because this is obviously a quality hold, just not... y'know... fun.

Edit: Although I do get a wonderful feeling of accomplishment from the two rooms I was able to beat. Perhaps that's how one is to extract enjoyment from the embodyment of frustration. Or maybe I just suck at DROD.

[Last edited by Sillyman at 03-16-2008 05:08 AM]
03-16-2008 at 05:01 AM
Mr. Slice
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 140
Sillyman wrote:
Or maybe I just suck at DROD.

Don't worry. This is a LarryMurk hold, making one of the harders in history. Rather than channeling your, err, rage, at yourself for thinking you're a newbie, you can channel you rage into those who are not beta testers, alpha testers, or the hold creator, whom have conquered and mastered the hold.

In other words, if you can't seem to do well at a LarryMurk hold, it's probably not your fault.

[Last edited by Mr. Slice at 03-16-2008 05:30 AM]
03-16-2008 at 05:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Hmm... This is interesting. I actually found this hold way, way easier than e.g. JTRH. That might be because I'm quite adapt with the rules for the game, or a much better player nowdays. Anyway... As Remlin said the postmastery room is quite easy.
03-16-2008 at 06:52 AM
Jatopian
Mr. Slice wrote:
channel you rage into those who are not beta testers, alpha testers, or the hold creator, whom have conquered and mastered the hold.
It's good to have holds that challenge and entertain all skill levels. It helps the community grow and maintain. You'll get there in your own time. And really, remember that unlike architecture, the journey is the important thing when playing, not the destination.
I'm sure I've said this at some point, but have you tried going to the holds list on the site, sorting by ascending difficulty, and trying the decently-rated ones in order?

And I'm no Catholic, but Envy and Wrath are deadly sins for reasons.

03-16-2008 at 09:00 AM
Syntax
icon Re: Museum Of Ooze (-1)  
Jatopian wrote:
!? I finally know what "flaming" means.

Banjooie?
03-17-2008 at 10:34 AM
Syntax
Syntax wrote:
Jatopian wrote:
!? I finally know what "flaming" means.

Banjooie?
-1?

I personally do not believe that Envy and Wrath are deadly sins and I will react when religious statements are brought up as though they are inherent truths after stating that religion is not a factor.

My statement was a light-hearted statement and a nudge to the old-school. If the -1 could be explained, I'd be much obliged.
03-17-2008 at 02:32 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
I was apprehensive as soon as I saw the exhibit name: "Wubba Helper"
03-17-2008 at 06:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Someone Else wrote:
I was apprehensive as soon as I saw the exhibit name: "Wubba Helper"
:D

I was apprehensive as soon as I saw "Hi, it's larrymurk. Wanna test my next hold?"

I was born non-apprehensive until that moment.
03-17-2008 at 07:04 PM
Syntax
icon Re: Museum Of Ooze (-1)  
Syntax wrote:
My statement was a light-hearted statement and a nudge to the old-school. If the -1 could be explained, I'd be much obliged.
And a -1 for asking. Thanks.

You know what? I'm outta here anyways. Time for you to pick on someone else. Just make sure others show signs of repsect toward that person. That will make you sound intelligent.
03-18-2008 at 05:14 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Or perhaps a -1 for saying

Syntax wrote:
I personally do not believe that Envy and Wrath are deadly sins and I will react when religious statements are brought up as though they are inherent truths after stating that religion is not a factor.
Jatopian was, as far as I can tell, suggesting that regardless of whether you believe in the theology of the medieval church, there were reasons they put envy and wrath on their lists: they're unbecoming behaviors. He was advising Mr. Slice, I think, not to advocate rage, and not to display such sour-grapes envy. Both, I think, are good advice, independent of any allusion to other people's religious truths. (Nor, I think, was it particularly "flaming".)

My advice? Don't take a -1 on a post personally; go back to playing what is an excellent, albeit occasionally infuriatingly difficult, hold. Myself, I'm amazed at my own ability to make the same sequence of moves over and over, saying each time, "No, still doesn't work."

[Edit: disclaimer: I didn't mod down any post in this thread. I'm speculating on why someone might have.]

[Last edited by Tahnan at 03-18-2008 09:01 AM]
03-18-2008 at 09:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Tahnan wrote:
Jatopian was, as far as I can tell, suggesting that regardless of whether you believe in the theology of the medieval church, there were reasons they put envy and wrath on their lists: they're unbecoming behaviors. He was advising Mr. Slice, I think, not to advocate rage, and not to display such sour-grapes envy. Both, I think, are good advice, independent of any allusion to other people's religious truths. (Nor, I think, was it particularly "flaming".)
This is it exactly. I'm not sure why I made the allusion - something to do with recently reading some Dante Alighieri, no doubt.
I think the "flaming" bit was intended as humor - something with the Internet meaning, and the flames of Hell where an unatoned deadly sin would supposedly send one.

03-18-2008 at 09:58 PM
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
VERY nice and clever hold. I'm enjoing every minute playing it. :D
03-21-2008 at 12:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Well, it's not your most difficult hold yet (7 brains), but it sure was a lot (i.e. 10 points) of fun... :)

np: Autechre - Chenc9 (Quaristice)

03-21-2008 at 02:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
talund
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 95
I'm posting here because Floor 6, 3E is not showing up for me in Hints and Solutions. First, can anyone explain that? My progress, so far as I know, has been updated. Second, I simply can't do this room. I know that I should have learned something from the two prior versions of this puzzle but it is escaping me. This is the last room I have to complete before the master room.
03-26-2008 at 09:20 PM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
talund,

No tricky tricks here:

Mud shape:

Mirror placement:

03-26-2008 at 09:51 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Museum Of Ooze (Tar, mud, and gel puzzles.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com