Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Claythro Tower (Miscellaneous)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.3/10 (47 votes)
σ 1.41
Author Name:Claythro Budkin
Submitted By:ClaytonW
Hold Name:Claythro Tower
Theme:Miscellaneous
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:10
Number of Rooms:113
Number of Monsters:3305
Version:DROD: Architect's Edition
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:8 (+8 / -0)
Poster Message
schep
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 865
IP: Logged
icon Re: Claythro Tower (0)  
An interesting hold. The whole thing gives the impression that the architect is a terrible jerk, but that seems to be the aim. Almost every level could use more checkpoints, I thought.

I posted mainly to point out that in Rooftop, 7N 2W, if somebody runs out the NE corner before conquering the room and then back in, it seems to be impossible to get past the serpents to either the main part of the room or the original entrance. I don't know if I missed something, or if this is intentional. Luckily, 8N 2W wasn't too hard to replay.
03-21-2005 at 08:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
SUPER hold.

Very large. Many, many great rooms.

The ROOFTOP level might well make you or break you.

There were a couple of rooms that were maybe a little overdone (like a room on the 2nd level? that was divided into about 72 mini compartments each with a snake.. and a rooftop room that required over 1000 moves of mindlessly hitting orbs and traversing the mazelike room over and over).

But these are minor quibbles if you're looking for a great, challenging hold!

05-29-2005 at 02:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
larrymurk wrote:
like a room on the 2nd level? that was divided into about 72 mini compartments each with a snake..

3rd level, 1N1E. You were close though.

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

05-29-2005 at 05:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
icon Re: Claythro Tower (+1)  
I just finished this hold, and I'm surprised to find its difficulty is rated identical to Bavato's Dungeon -- I was mostly able to breeze through this hold (with a few tough exceptions), but I'm still stuck on Level 3 of Bavato's.

In any case, a lot of very fun rooms -- a few considerably less fun rooms, but I guess it takes all kinds.

I give this hold an 8 and a difficulty rating of 7.

Definitely fun, once you get into the swing of it.

05-22-2006 at 06:37 PM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
jbluestein wrote:
I just finished this hold, and I'm surprised to find its difficulty is rated identical to Bavato's Dungeon -- I was mostly able to breeze through this hold (with a few tough exceptions), but I'm still stuck on Level 3 of Bavato's.
Well, this hold was released about 7 months before Bavato's. I can't remember how much of Wesley's hold was previewed on the Architecture board by the time this was released, but I think that this hold was the hardest one on the hold board at the time. And it's probably harder than both Treasure Hunt and Tomb of Nomb, so that might explain its rating. I already reduced my own difficulty rating of Treasure Hunt after a time, so I think it's just a function of the age of the hold.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
05-22-2006 at 11:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Oneiromancer wrote:
jbluestein wrote:
Well, this hold was released about 7 months before Bavato's. I can't remember how much of Wesley's hold was previewed on the Architecture board by the time this was released, but I think that this hold was the hardest one on the hold board at the time. And it's probably harder than both Treasure Hunt and Tomb of Nomb, so that might explain its rating. I already reduced my own difficulty rating of Treasure Hunt after a time, so I think it's just a function of the age of the hold.

Well, that explains it, I guess. I just wish Bavato's weren't so utterly kicking my rear. It's always the tar races that get me. ..

Not that I have any shortage of holds to attack.

05-24-2006 at 08:36 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Well, I finshed it. Here are some final thoughts"

SPOILERZ!!!

But despite of that I'm giving it 7.5 brains and an 8 overall/fun rating.
10-01-2006 at 02:08 AM
kingpr
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 29
I have finally finished this highly enjoyable hold (unlike some others I really didn't mind some of the "vile & vicious" rooms. The 3 tar mothers one wasn't as bad as the original before save points and backspace!

However, on reading through this thread I realise that I must have completed an old version :-O Stairs from escape lead back to the beginning of escape. Does this explain why I get now scores for this hold and my stats indicate that I haven't explored it at all? Do I have to import the new version and then do all my efforts count for nothing? :? any suggestions about what to do? Thanks

Actually looking at my holds list when I go to change places it says Claythro Tower (updated) so it looks as though I have the up to date version. What's happenning?

[Last edited by kingpr at 02-09-2007 04:24 PM]
02-09-2007 at 04:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
No, if it says (updated) on your list that means you have an old version, and there's an updated version available. You should download it.

[Last edited by eytanz at 02-09-2007 04:28 PM]
02-09-2007 at 04:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
kingpr
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 29
Ah - interesting use of language. Never mind. But does it mean that if I update it my progress (ie having finished the hold) and scores etc are lost?
02-09-2007 at 04:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
The only things that will be different is if a room has changed. You can restore to anywhere you've been after an update, and reconquer it by leaving the exit stairs. If the room hasn't changed, your demo will still be there, and still counts for high scores, though you may need to do a full score upload if you don't see them appearing.

02-09-2007 at 04:41 PM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
And finally completed. I remember when I first tried myself against this hold back in 2005 (or was it 2006?) when I was still DROD newbie - I got severely stuck. I tried it again year or two later and got stuck on the Sixth Story 3W.
But now it took me only around a week to complete the whole thing, and I had to consult the H&S board only four times!

It is nice to play a good old AE hold once in a while, to catch some breath from all those bombs, fegundi, aumtliches, pressure plates, tokens and scripting (among others of course). It is a classic, and it is evil, I cursed the lack of checkpoints at least a good couple of dozens of times, but all in all it was REALLY enjoyable experience - the difficulty was just right, and the whole wold was pure fun (and swearing on checkpoints).

All in all:
Fun - 8
Difficulty - 5

08-16-2009 at 07:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
For everyone who is having fun with (and finished) this hold, may I suggest you to look at >Fireside< ?

It was a very long time ago that I've played this hold, but I gave it back then a 7.5 for difficulty, and 9 for fun. The difficulty might have gone down a bit, but it's definitely a fun hold.

08-25-2009 at 11:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
CrazyDiamond
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 38
I played this hold again after many many years and enjoyed it once more. Maybe the first time I had not noticed the secret room
, since I did not remember it, but now I did so I'm writing about it.

Doom wrote:
ClaytonW wrote (in Fireside thread):

Also, I've yet to award those 5 points for identifying the 3 objects in that room. (I have a feeling people are gonna yell at me for not doing a good enough job representing the objects I tried to.)
I PM'ed Clayton and asked if anyone had it yet.
As those 5 points are still unawarded, Here's the answer:

The 3 mysterious objects are

I don't know if this has already been pointed out in a different topic, but I think there might be something more:

[Last edited by CrazyDiamond at 08-30-2014 04:25 PM]
08-30-2014 at 04:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Claythro Tower (Miscellaneous)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com