Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : RPG 3.0 (RPG)
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.0/10 (26 votes)
σ 2.33
Author Name:Jason
Submitted By:Jason
Hold Name:RPG 3.0
Theme:RPG
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:7
Number of Rooms:75
Number of Monsters:873
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.1)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:3 (+3 / -0)
Poster Message
RoboBob3000
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1978
IP: Logged
icon Re: RPG 3.0 (0)  
I've noticed that when you die (at least in my game), when you fight the same type of monster again later, its health remains the same. Maybe I'm misobserving, though. I haven't tested this out thoroughly.

I think you might want to make sure that all relevant variables are getting reset after losing a battle.

02-27-2008 at 04:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Neathro
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 41
Two questions:

How do you switch jobs?

And:

Do I need a specific job to complete the Scroll quest?

[Last edited by Neathro at 02-27-2008 09:05 AM : ?]
02-27-2008 at 09:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
icon Re: RPG 3.0 (+1)  
Neathro wrote:
How do you switch jobs?
You'll meet recruiters. A merchant will ask if you want to be a merchant. A thief will ask if you want to be a thief. And a wizard will ask if you want to be a wizard. You just have to find these people. :)

Do I need a specific job to complete the Scroll quest?
No.
02-27-2008 at 09:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Neathro
Oh. Then how DO I complete the scroll quest? Do I need... Mechanics? The door doesn't open and I can't follow the goblin... I'm stuck.

EDIT: And are there really only 2 health potions in the entire RPG?!

[Last edited by Neathro at 02-27-2008 09:12 AM]
02-27-2008 at 09:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
To follow the goblin, watch what he does, and copy his movements exactly.
Click here to view the secret text

02-27-2008 at 09:12 AM
vinheim
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 300
Also, if you need help beating the goblin. What I did was:

EDIT: You can buy health pots somewhere, but I think 2 health pots is the max you can find

[Last edited by vinheim at 02-27-2008 09:14 AM]
02-27-2008 at 09:12 AM
Neathro
That is sneeke... Will try... Riiiight.... I think I could really use some extra dex.

Oh well. It workz!

EDIT: I need to use the Hunting Grounds instead. I'm roughly level 5, with a crossbow.

[Last edited by Neathro at 02-27-2008 09:23 AM]
02-27-2008 at 09:13 AM
vinheim
What does the green orb do?
02-27-2008 at 09:18 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
icon Re: RPG 3.0 (+2)  
vinheim wrote:
What does the green orb do?

02-27-2008 at 09:23 AM
vinheim
The goblin king shop? That shop was useful, I bought the wraithwing pet, which made all the difference when fighting the rock golem. The rest of the stuff was way expensive, but it should be noted that 2 certain weapons in that shop will improve your score at the end. In fact, if your 2 weapons are the 2 specific weapons i'm talking about, your score will be multiplied by 100! You'll have to find out what those 2 weapons are though.
02-27-2008 at 09:29 AM
Neathro
I really like this actually. How... How... How on earth did you get all those custom graphics? Did you kidnap the caravel team's graphics designer? 6.5 brains and 10 fun. :fun King Dugan's hunting grounds were just tedious... But this is neat. I think I can remember the TCB RPG thread still. :D
02-27-2008 at 09:46 PM
Neathro
The reason I think KDHG are boring is: so many monsters. But its also a good way to get more XP. What did my above post do to deserve a mod up??? Wow! A rank point!

[Last edited by Neathro at 02-27-2008 11:21 PM]
02-27-2008 at 11:20 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
VIPCOOL wrote:
The kings hunting grounds aren't tedious if you have the right weapon (start battle, kill the monster in fist hit)
It's still tedious ;) The way I look at the King's Hunting Grounds though is the equivalent of all those "random encounters" you'd get in one of the Final Fantasies except at least in this case you can chose to avoid them :)
02-28-2008 at 06:07 AM
Neathro
Yeah... That's roughly what I meant... Too many monsters.
02-28-2008 at 12:50 PM
vinheim
Hey guys I was thinking of writing a guide on how to get the max level possible without cheats. As you may know experience doesn't carry on to the next level, which means there is only a certain way to get the max level.

Ex: I need 50 exp to the next level.
Case 1: I kill 2 goblins. 70 exp means 20 wasted
Case 2: I kill 1 goblin and 2 roaches. 55 exp, better, but 5 exp wasted
Case 3: I kill 5 roaches. 50 exp. No exp wasted

However, there are a limited number of monsters, so you can't just kill roaches all the time

Ex: I need 100 exp to the next level
Case 1: I kill 3 goblins. 5 exp wasted
Case 2: I kill 2 goblins and 3 roaches. No exp wasted
Case 3: I kill 10 roaches. No exp wasted, but I just killed a lot of potential 'small exp givers'

Also fire and dark monsters give exactly 50 exp, so you'd have to kill them near last.

This is what I'm basing my guide on. It may take me a while though, since I have school and a hold to work on.

[Last edited by vinheim at 02-29-2008 10:38 AM]
02-29-2008 at 10:37 AM
Syntax
vinheim wrote:
As you may know experience doesn't carry on to the next level
Are you sure? I remember bringing this up in testing but I thought the remainder did in fact carry over (despite the message suggesting it doesn't).
02-29-2008 at 07:18 PM
vinheim
In the version i'm playing, experience doesn't carry over. I suspected it for sometime, but when I fought the rock golem, I was 5 exp towards the next level, when I beat it, I went to the bank. 'I have 0/550 exp for level 11'

EDIT: I'm going to expand my guide into a walkthrough. There are some things you shouldn't do that people should be aware of, like not buying a mace and wait for the j-sword after doing some quests to get enough money for the expensive things in this hold.

[Last edited by vinheim at 02-29-2008 11:29 PM]
02-29-2008 at 11:23 PM
Syntax
vinheim wrote:
EDIT: I'm going to expand my guide into a walkthrough.
I admire your devotion to this hold :) I spent a while optimising my XP and got to level 10 with the shortsword (and then got the J-sword which I could have done at level 9 but was too busy calculating maximum XP allocation).

I must admit this took a while, and I'd be happy to help you compile this walkthrough. What I'd like *not* to see is a blatant list of how to get a better score though.

It's interesting how I wasn't sure whether XP carried over, yet I spent about 2 hours hitting the exact cross-over. I then forgot the thief job would take 25% and haven't started again since.
03-01-2008 at 12:46 AM
vinheim
Syntax wrote:
vinheim wrote:
EDIT: I'm going to expand my guide into a walkthrough.
I admire your devotion to this hold :) I spent a while optimising my XP and got to level 10 with the shortsword (and then got the J-sword which I could have done at level 9 but was too busy calculating maximum XP allocation).

I must admit this took a while, and I'd be happy to help you compile this walkthrough. What I'd like *not* to see is a blatant list of how to get a better score though.

It's interesting how I wasn't sure whether XP carried over, yet I spent about 2 hours hitting the exact cross-over. I then forgot the thief job would take 25% and haven't started again since.

Thanks, using the method of getting exact exp and wasting goblins first because their exp is not a factor of 50 (also fegundos) I have effectively gotten to level 9 wasting the goblins without even killing half the monsters in the hunting grounds. I won't say how to get a better score, though I may mention things to get that may affect the score, like doing more quests.

EDIT: My devotion to this hold is my enormous love for RPGs. I only ever play RPGs. DRoD and the Wonderland series are the only exceptions, becuase of the whole optimising feature

[Last edited by vinheim at 03-01-2008 12:57 AM]
03-01-2008 at 12:55 AM
Syntax
Well, I've got the
which means a max hit each time. I'll contribute it if you like.
03-01-2008 at 01:19 AM
vinheim
Oh, I've never got to see how exactly the RNG works, care to explain how you get max hit at over 340? Also, do you know what causes the bug of killing enemies instantly without even making a move? Can't find out how, but I think it's linked to fighting the aumtliches in Piedyl
03-01-2008 at 01:28 AM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Conquered. Final score 21520080, 83% secrets. The only things I could do to improve are:

03-01-2008 at 07:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
Rank Points: 355
Regarding that secret in the bank:

03-01-2008 at 10:39 AM
vinheim
The secret in the bank requires 4 mech and yes, you do have to be a thief to steal the decoy's boat
03-01-2008 at 11:49 AM
vinheim
Your last secret in Piedyl is past the decoy, but you can't access the tunnel to Piedyl? I'm clearly misunderstanding something. Well, all you have to do is one quest to access Piedyl
03-01-2008 at 12:27 PM
vinheim
Oh, ok, I must admit I made the same mistake before reading the dude's text.
03-01-2008 at 12:38 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
This is actually a pretty neat little RPG. Only a few things wrong with it: The scoring is kinda wonky, XP doesn't carry over when gaining a level, and there's quite a bit of grinding for the j-sword, and one can only have two weapons. I think that having more weapon storage should've been a housing feature. That's about it.
I like that combat isn't related to stats, so it's all about strategy. There definitely seems to be some variety in overall strategies, too.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 03-02-2008 04:34 AM]
03-02-2008 at 04:32 AM
Danteslives
Rank Points: 48
This was a really fun hold. I enjoyed deviating from the usual DROD hold for a bit, but now it's time to go back to regular DROD holds. The story was fun and the missions were all very original. I am certainly glad that people like Jason spend so much time giving us games of such great quality. I am giving it 6 brains with 9 fun.
03-13-2008 at 03:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Anson
Rank Points: 67
How do you get the J-sword?
Just asking ^.^

Please, I admire Guthix, I solve problems, I fix rules too. I used to be a Scoundril, Complaining about the forums, But now i changed.

03-22-2008 at 08:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
hartleyhair
Rank Points: 307

03-22-2008 at 10:58 AM
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : RPG 3.0 (RPG)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com