Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Bought the game, only can play Demo (I have bought the game, cannot get to Level 4)
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
Samtastic
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 14
IP: Logged
icon Bought the game, only can play Demo (0)  
I played the Demo (first three levels), then bought the game and after downloading it, I could still not continue onto level 4. I tried both restoring to the exit level three, and starting all over.

I would appreciate any help with this, as I would really like to keep playing.

Thanks in advance

Sam

[Last edited by Samtastic at 02-14-2008 11:44 PM : wrong subject]
02-14-2008 at 11:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3170
icon Re: Bought the game, only can play Demo (+2)  
Hi Sam!

Unlike some other games, the demo and full version of DROD are two different programs. Simply paying for the full version doesn't "unlock" the additional levels.

You need to:
1. Export your player file from the demo. This is done from the "Change Player" option in the main menu.
2. Download and install the full version. When you paid for the full version, you should have received an email with a download link.
3. Import your player file into the full version. The first time you run the full version, it should ask you if you want to import a player file. If not, you can always go to the "Change Player" screen and import it from there.

Hope that helps! :)
02-15-2008 at 12:29 AM
Samtastic
icon Re: Bought the game, only can play Demo (0)  
Hi CSR;

thanks for the quick reply, but somehow that did not work.

I am using a Mac OSX, and I really don't know how to "install the game", it comes up as a "DRODKDDSetup.dmg", and when I open this I have a folder containing the 'DROD KDD' Icon, a 'changelog.txt' and a 'EULA.txt' file.

When I double click on the Icon, the game comes up, but still appears to be demo. Even when I import/export in my player file, it mentions demo.

What am I doing wrong?

thanks,
Sam :)
02-15-2008 at 01:36 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
I don't know the answer to that one, then, as I don't have a Mac. Maybe some other Mac-using players will come along and offer suggestions here.

In the meantime, I suggest you send an email to support@caravelgames.com to get help from the official Caravel team.
02-15-2008 at 01:59 AM
Samtastic
Thanks CSR,

(and just a little note, you don't seem so shy as to not be overcome by your curiosity!)

I will try contacting them. At present I am searching the boards for any info on installing onto my mac.

take care,
Sam

[Last edited by Samtastic at 02-15-2008 02:21 AM]
02-15-2008 at 02:11 AM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2389
Samtastic wrote:
Thanks CSR,

(and just a little note, you don't seem so shy as to not be overcome by your curiosity!)

I will try contacting them. At present I am searching the boards for any info on installing onto my mac.

take care,
Sam

I ran into this problem too. There is a thread here.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
02-15-2008 at 05:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Samtastic
Hi Disoriented,

I read the threads you mentioned, thanks for the post, but being a computer newbie, most of it went over my head, so what I did was erase Everything to do with Drod on my computer, then went back to redownload the full game, and guess what ?.....

My time to download had Expired !!!

I have emailed Erikh, support, etc, but have had no reply.

So now I am completely Drodless, so desperate, I went and replayed the demo from the Rooted Hold. (I had played it a year or so ago).

I am really hoping someone gets back to me from support, as I have paid but have no play!

Thanks for your help,

Sam
02-16-2008 at 06:21 PM
zaubberer
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 251
icon Re: Bought the game, only can play Demo (+1)  
i don't use a mac too, but usually files are not completely erased if you delete them. as far as i know the files will be stored in the trash bin. but it can be normal on mac that files are completely "away" when deleted.

the other thing: if i remember correctly the full version of caravel games is combined with a free period of using caravel net. in this case you could try to find the file in the download area.

hope this helps.

zaubberer
:wizard

[Last edited by zaubberer at 02-16-2008 06:42 PM]
02-16-2008 at 06:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Sillyman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
Don't worry, Erik or Mike or Schik or somebody will send you the download and free month of CaravelNet again if it expired before you could download it.

02-16-2008 at 08:04 PM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2389
Samtastic wrote:
Hi Disoriented,

I read the threads you mentioned, thanks for the post, but being a computer newbie, most of it went over my head, so what I did was erase Everything to do with Drod on my computer, then went back to redownload the full game, and guess what ?.....

I know it's too late, but IIRC you only needed to delete the folder "Caravel" which is located inside the "Application Support" directory inside the "Library" directory in your home directory.

So the path to it is (using the tilde symbol to represent your home directory):

~/Library/Application Support/Caravel/

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
02-16-2008 at 11:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
Samtastic, go to http://forum.caravelgames.com/downloads.php and see what's there. As long as you clicked on the CaravelNet trial activation link you got sent with the purchase, the full TCB download should be in the bottom list. (And if you didn't activate that trial, now would be an excellent time to go find that link -- look for an email called "DROD:TCB Registration and CaravelNet Activation".)

[Last edited by Tuttle at 02-17-2008 01:18 AM]
02-17-2008 at 01:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Samtastic
Hi Guys,

I have not replied for a few days as I was hoping and waiting that support/Erik/Someone from CaravelGames would get back to me but No Luck!

I had already erased and emptied my trash, so no retrieving there.

And Tuttle, I checked the link, and this is for TCB, and the stuff there seems to be only for Windows! Ughhh!

It shouldn't be this hard to play a game!

Thanks for all your help folks, I appreciate the support.

Sam :
02-18-2008 at 03:59 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516

File: CaravelNet Downloads.png (36.4 KB)
Downloaded 383 times.
License: Public Domain
The download(s) you're looking for should look like this:

Click here to view the secret text

If there are no such links there I'm afraid you'll have to contact support... :(

np: Tortoise - Cliff Dweller Society (A Lazarus Taxon (Disc 2))

[Last edited by Briareos at 02-18-2008 06:10 PM]
02-18-2008 at 06:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Samtastic

File: Picture 1.png (280.2 KB)
Downloaded 58 times.
Hi Briareos,

Thanks for the pic of what it SHOULD look like, it makes it so I can "almost taste it" !

Here's a pic of what I get when I go to the link/ or go myself to the downloads page.

thanks anyway, the moral support is great.

PS: Still awaiting any email reply from ErikH or support. Been three days now!

Sam
02-19-2008 at 12:34 AM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5070
Samtastic wrote:
Here's a pic of what I get when I go to the link/ or go myself to the downloads page.
Yes...now scroll down to the bottom of the page. The CaravelNet Downloads section is there.

Hmm...speaking of which...maybe Schik can swing it so that section gets put at the top of the page, because everyone seems to be missing it.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 02-19-2008 12:48 AM]
02-19-2008 at 12:47 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
Samtastic would need to activate his free trial CaravelNet subscription first, or he won't see anything at the bottom of the CaravelNet Downloads page.
02-19-2008 at 12:51 AM
mrimer
CuriousShyRabbit wrote:
Samtastic would need to activate his free trial CaravelNet subscription first, or he won't see anything at the bottom of the CaravelNet Downloads page.
Sure...but I don't understand what it accomplishes by showing us a screenshot of the *top* of the Downloads page. :huh

02-19-2008 at 01:02 AM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
mrimer wrote:
Sure...but I don't understand what it accomplishes by showing us a screenshot of the *top* of the Downloads page. :huh
Well, if he doesn't have CaravelNet, there is no bottom part of the Downloads page. In that case, asking him to post a screenshot of it doesn't make sense to him either.

Not everyone knows that there are more sections to that page if you have your CaravelNet account enabled.
Samtastic wrote:
PS: Still awaiting any email reply from ErikH or support. Been three days now!
People like Mr. Imer are part of the support team. If you see him posting any replies here then don't expect additional email reply.

What you need to do now is to activate your CaravelNet account, and you will be able to download the latest version.

If you have any problems, then post back here in this thread.

[Last edited by Tim at 02-19-2008 04:23 AM]
02-19-2008 at 04:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Samtastic

File: Picture 1.png (262.1 KB)
Downloaded 48 times.
Hi Guys,

I am posting a shot of the bottom of the downloads page, so you can see I have no options. I have searched on how to activate my CaravelNet account, but no luck, and Tuttle, on my email from Caravel, I found only the link to download KDD, nothing about activating CaravelNet account. I am adding a pic of this email (the ONE and ONLY I have received from Caravel Games) (I may have to add it in next post, not sure).

So, any tips on how I can activate my CaravelNet account now?

I am getting really frustrated with the lack of support from "Orders/Support/Erikh" any body who is actually benefitting from my payment, but am very thankful for the help and feedback from you guys.

Thanks,

Sam
02-19-2008 at 05:01 PM
Samtastic

File: Picture 2.png (195.6 KB)
Downloaded 56 times.
Attached pic of the ONLY email I have received from Caravel Games
Note; no direction of how to activate CaravelNet account.
02-19-2008 at 05:02 PM
Tuttle
Yeah, that's not the one I was thinking of. Unfortunately it looks like you'll need someone from Caravel to fix you up.
02-19-2008 at 10:41 PM
Samtastic
Great News !!!!

I received a redownload of the game from Both Plimus and Caravel, and have been able to play past level 4 !!! :D

Thank you all so much for your help.

Now there is only one more thing I would like to do, and that is to activate my CaravelNet account. I see on my settings screen in the game where to put in a Name and Key, but have no clue as to what these might be.

I have done "search" on CaravelNet activation in this forum with no results.

Any advice? Or should I attempt again to contact Support/Erikh/Order?

thanks guys.

Sam
02-20-2008 at 07:30 PM
Sillyman
Well, you should have an email with a link that the email says will give you a free month of CaravelNet. Once you follow that link and login, you'll get a key, either by email or just showing up on the page (I can't remember). Enter this key and your forum name into DROD and check the box (You know, the one that says "Connect to CaravelNet"). Then, with any luck, you'll see a green checkmark in the upper right. That means you're both connected and logged in.

[Last edited by Sillyman at 02-20-2008 07:46 PM]
02-20-2008 at 07:44 PM
mrimer
Samtastic wrote:
I received a redownload of the game from Both Plimus and Caravel, and have been able to play past level 4 !!! :D
That's great! I'm sorry to hear about all the trouble and delay you've had in receiving help from Caravel. If you've emailed Caravel support, then you should expect to get a response, even if I myself am posting some questions or suggestions here. (I'm not in charge of answering support emails -- I mostly handle the development side of things.)
Now there is only one more thing I would like to do, and that is to activate my CaravelNet account. I see on my settings screen in the game where to put in a Name and Key, but have no clue as to what these might be.
I've taken care of registering DROD:KDD to your user account and signed up your user account for two months of CaravelNet service for your trouble. The CaravelNet user name you enter on the Settings screen is your Caravel Forum user name. You can now get a key to enter in the next slot by clicking on the Profile link on top of the forum page, then click on the CaravelNet tab and click "Request a new key". Copy-and-paste it into the text box in the game. That should be it, but you may post here, or PM or email me if you need any more help.

02-20-2008 at 08:55 PM
Sillyman
Yay! It's always good to see a problem get solved. Hope you enjoy the game!

02-20-2008 at 09:56 PM
Samtastic

File: Picture 2.png (239.9 KB)
Downloaded 44 times.
I AM enjoying the game, thanks Sillyman.

Mrimer, thank you very much for the extended CaravelNet account, that was truly gracious of you, and with the help of your instructions I was able to activate it. This now leads to another area of my confusion, I guess I have never come across such a complicated system yet.

I can see the page where I can download holds (see attached), and have downloaded one onto my desktop, but when I choose change location on the game title screen, and the import page comes up, I cannot see any new holds available to click on. Is there something special I need to do here (remember, I am using a Mac and I am also a computer newbie!).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am really enjoying the challenge of the game, and think you guys are great for the support I have received on the forum.

Thanks,

PS: BTW, how much is the CaravelNet monthly?

[Last edited by Samtastic at 02-22-2008 12:17 AM]
02-22-2008 at 12:16 AM
Tuttle
While you have CaravelNet, you don't have to worry about getting the files from the forum and importing them. If you've put your CaravelNet key in the Change Settings screen (so you get a green tick in that top-right icon on the main menu), you can just download holds from the list on the Change Location screen in game by clicking on the Download button.

If you've put in the CaravelNet key but you're not getting that green tick, go here (or Profile | CaravelNet in the forum menu) and request a new one, then copy it into the settings screen.

If you're downloading hold files and using the Import button, you'll need to browse to whichever directory you downloaded it into. I'll let someone with a Mac guess a likely directory for that. :)

CaravelNet is a dollar a month, sold in convenient yearly blocks here. If you decide to go for it then you don't have to wait until the last minute of your trial to buy it; it just adds 12 months to your current expiry date.

[Last edited by Tuttle at 02-22-2008 12:26 AM]
02-22-2008 at 12:24 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3630
Samtastic wrote:
I can see the page where I can download holds (see attached), and have downloaded one onto my desktop, but when I choose change location on the game title screen, and the import page comes up, I cannot see any new holds available to click on. Is there something special I need to do here (remember, I am using a Mac and I am also a computer newbie!).

All you need to do is click the two dots (that's computer-lingo for "go back one directory" until you reach the location where you installed DROD. Then navigate to where you downloaded the hold file and presto! it should be there.

The next time you import a hold, DROD should remember that location and you won't have to navigate the directory structure of your computer anymore. :)

02-22-2008 at 01:03 AM
Samtastic
THANKS GUYS :P

After getting a new key twice, I finally was CaravelNet activated, with proof of the green checked icon on the title screen, YEAH.

There are so many holds to play! I wonder if I will find the time.

Seems like an inexpensive investment to continue my CaravelNet account at a buck a month.

Great forum support and folks, think I will hang around a while.

thanks,

02-23-2008 at 12:33 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Samtastic wrote:
THANKS GUYS :P

After getting a new key twice, I finally was CaravelNet activated, with proof of the green checked icon on the title screen, YEAH.

There are so many holds to play! I wonder if I will find the time.

Seems like an inexpensive investment to continue my CaravelNet account at a buck a month.

Great forum support and folks, think I will hang around a while.

thanks,

See you on the high scores :) Hope you enjoy every minute of the DROD experience.
02-23-2008 at 12:58 AM
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Bought the game, only can play Demo (I have bought the game, cannot get to Level 4)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com