Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Leylines: what's your favorite race, and why?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
IP: Logged
icon Leylines: what's your favorite race, and why? (0)  
I'm curious what people's fave races are, and why. Feel free to list several.

The noble humans? The feral s'sirthe? The corrupt regency? The sylvan elves? The scavenging goblins? The stalwart dwarves? Or the chaotic theria?

02-05-2008 at 04:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
GrIMAge
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
icon Re: Leylines: what's your favorite race, and why? (0)  
As far as theme goes, the regency beats everyone else for me (what can i say...? Long live the undead! :cool ... oh... erm... i suppose there might be some sort of technical difficulty in that regard... :? )

As far as playing experience instead... i like the s'sirthe because i found them quite versatile (though they lack healing IIRC) and their wide range of amphibian units make them excellent skirmisher and allows gathering of water leylines and pearl fields early on in the game (of course this last advantage is widely map-dependent...) - goblins are fun too because of their different approach! :D

02-07-2008 at 08:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Neathro
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 41
Elves until you gave away the cloudship to the Theria. Radiant... :thumbsdown (Sorry, I was just getting used to cloudship being a good way to move elves, and a motivation to get Heartstone and Construct Yard...)

Theria aren't quite as fun as the elves (poof, poof, pow...)

But Theria and Humans are still fun.

But I kind of like daemons too...(Regency). The dwarves aren't much fun 'cause so many of them are Dependant.

S'Sirthe are cool 'cause most of them are amphibious.

Goblinz findz it vewy hard to mak any muny. And you need a LOT of scavengers to get income and so on...

How about everyone's favorite sphere arrangments? I like EEE (3 energy)

[Last edited by Neathro at 02-09-2008 01:23 PM : Typo.]
02-09-2008 at 01:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
Neathro wrote:
How about everyone's favorite sphere arrangments? I like EEE (3 energy)

I tend to mix things, like MME, or BCC.

02-10-2008 at 03:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Third Eye
S'sirthe and then Theria, they are something new and I like it...

Dwarves are fine, even cool, but they lack that extra charm that makes you want to broaden your experience with them, trying everything...

Elves and Humans are boring, Regency too mana-demanding to give you the pleasure of making a complex army gain experience and improve...

Alliance is too lame for me, as they lack more serious units...

I tend to use all of the three spheres of the same kind, yet I still have to try everything in order to have a thorough idea of what it is best...

02-11-2008 at 03:54 PM
wonkyth
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
ooh, it's been a while since I've played it.

let me see....

Humans: always nice, a good team for when I don't feel...um.

Theria: my favorite, and I'll probably like them more now they've
got the cloudship.

Dwarves: the fact that they are dependant isn't really a problem, it's that their troops are mostly inferior.

Goblins: I do like, mainly for the difference.

Elves: they were too good last time I played them, but they're probably a bit more ....even now.

S'Sirth: Neat.

Regencey: slow to start. slow to move.
not for me

But Nonsense Transforms it"
- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes

[Last edited by wonkyth at 03-08-2008 10:21 AM]
03-08-2008 at 10:20 AM
raen
Goblins for me. Personally, when I'm playing with them I have less things to manage, so my time pondering what to do and taking actions between ending turns is shorter, and games are more rapid in the beginning. It's pretty easy for me to get good with them, to build up economics and such.
I really like having an ally because he/she (as a computer, always :( ) magically knows where the opponents are and reveals them to me, or at least does so on certain races.
Elves are tied, because of their play style. They don't have many tanking units, but I pretty much always play with EEE so it's evened out.
I like to get several good cities, and usually I build a Planar Gate in my capital. Then, I develop my cities and make them so their around my capital, ideally 360 degrees surrounding it. I build moonpaths to my capital from those cities, and then whenever there's a conflict I warp people to it.

Yeah.. anyways..
06-20-2008 at 10:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Shadowdweller
Favorite Race: Dwarves. Because their units are in fact quite powerful; because, as opposed to other races, their units with healing/detection/magesight are quite otherwise useful; because the conscript ability is extremely powerful; because of the miner unit; because I find having to deal with the dependency issue FUN.

Honorable Mention: Goblins, for their non-conventionality. On large maps and protracted games, however, the task of organizing the sheer number of units involved often becomes a bit arduous.

Favorite Magic Sphere: BBB. Seems the most consistently, all-around useful of the spheres...good buffs, debuffs, city enhancements. Vampirism can single-handedly win wars.
08-09-2008 at 10:52 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Leylines: what's your favorite race, and why?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com