Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Fireballs (A new monster with new behavior)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.3/10 (24 votes)
σ 1.31
Author Name:Chaco
Submitted By:Chaco
Hold Name:Fireballs
Theme:A new monster with new behavior
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:1
Number of Rooms:16
Number of Monsters:66
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.1)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:3 (+3 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Fireballs.hold (15.6 KB)
Downloaded 1647 times.
License: Other
icon Fireballs  
This hold is a rather simple illustration of the capabilities of the DROD 3.0 scripting engine and some of the possibilities of it in terms of making NPCs that affect room solutions.

Some of you may have seen the custom monster known as the "warba" in Calamarain's hold Below Witherwood and the game considers this in the same way - as this is an NPC, it moves last, and it is not required to clear the room.

Hopefully the hold should make rather clear the capabilities and movement algorithm of the fireball. If you want to add fireballs to your own hold, feel free to do so. Everything you need to add fireballs to your own hold is in the Fireballs Architecture thread

So, in summary, have fun with this new monster and its behavior - I hope it will be a valuable contribution. :)
01-21-2008 at 06:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3623
icon Re: Fireballs (+2)  
This hold uses the Volcano style for its rooms - if you don't have it installed, you may want to install it for this hold, since some of the atmosphere is lost if it is played in City.

If you want to read more about the Fireball monster, you might want to see this hold's Architecture thread.

Have fun playing around with this monster - I hope to see it in other holds :)

01-21-2008 at 07:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
icon Re: Fireballs (+1)  
A tasty bite-size hold from Chaco with some excellent scripting and puzzles.

Nothing here is too hard, with the possible exception of the secret rooms. But it's all fun.

I give this hold an 8 for fun and 4 brains.

Josh

01-21-2008 at 09:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Just a small tribute to Oneiromancer, and his good idea, which never got its proper popularity and now it can:
Monster: Rolling Death Balls...of Death! :shifty (Took hell lot of time to find, like 20 minutes)

Nice Hold, I will hopefully finish it (My DROD skills rusted quite a lot lately), but as far as I saw it is good.

EDIT: Yay, finished. Wasn't too hard actually. Excepting Secret rooms, which I still have to conquer ^^. I enjoyed the hold, and especially the room at the lowest left corner... 6S. :)

[Last edited by skell at 01-23-2008 06:58 PM]
01-22-2008 at 11:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
The fireballs are nice new elements to play with. I like it a lot, especially because they look good and they shows a lot of puzzle potential. The movement rules of the fireballs are clearly explained and very predictable. The puzzles in this demonstration hold are crafted well and it makes a lot of fun to mess around with the 2 sorts of fireballs.

I'm giving out 9 points for this one. It's a very original and entertaining hold. Considering that there are one or two puzzles that are quite challenging I'm voting 5,5 brains.
01-27-2008 at 12:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: Fireballs (0)  
Odd. If you hit ctrl 5, the fireballs take time to appear, although if you move, it puts them in the correct places immediately. Is this a bug, or just a quirk?
02-01-2008 at 05:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3117
NiroZ wrote:
Odd. If you hit ctrl 5, the fireballs take time to appear, although if you move, it puts them in the correct places immediately. Is this a bug, or just a quirk?

http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=18125&page=0#228617
02-01-2008 at 05:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
noma
Rank Points: 1594
I really liked the fireballs: for some reason manoeuvering them about felt a bit sokobanish. Nice simple puzzles to get exposure to a new element (except the "secret" rooms which I plan to solve someday.) 4 for difficulty / 9 overall
04-03-2008 at 05:26 AM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2379
5 South 2 East appears to be broken in 4.0.1.110.

H&S thread here.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
05-07-2012 at 08:08 AM
Kaelyn
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 76
Mastered!

This is a really neat hold! Of course, that's largely thanks to its titular custom element. Fireballs are also really neat! They're a perfect example of an element done right: simple, intuitive, and versatile. Here, you'll explore ten similar-looking rooms, and solve ten wildly-different puzzles. No concept gets reused -- and that's after Chaco limited himself to just a handful of elements (mostly roaches). I can see fireballs having a lot of potential if mixed with other elements, especially fluff vents and time clones. Toss in some pushing mechanics and you've got a seriously baller element!

Mechanics aren't everything. What really ties this hold together is the atmosphere. Obstacles, pits, water, and floor types are all placed with terrifying exactitude. Fortunately, the aesthetics don't stop with decorations -- puzzle workings are given the same attention, and since the room style is so dark, the highlights really help make things clear. My only complaints are with the trapdoors in 4S that look too similar to the pits, and the floor type under the arrows in 5S 1W that totally look like walls. (Road or alternate floor would have been a better contrast.) Overall, this might be the most beautiful hold I've seen yet!

Onto the puzzles themselves: most were pretty good. 5S 1E and 4S 2E stand out as especially clever. The snake wrangling in 6S isn't too bad, but I'd be content if I never tackled something like it again. 6S 1E is, unsurprisingly, quite difficult. It's the hardest room in the hold by a wide margin. I've been reading through that difficulty rating thread, and after ramming my head against that puzzle for a solid hour, I think I have something to contribute now. At least none of the required rooms are too hard. That's a win in my book.

The scroll-style tutorials do their job fine. I quite enjoyed the snarky tone in 5S -- I wish every scroll had that level of personality. But it's not a problem. As far as showcase holds go, this one is outstanding. I recommend playing it even if you aren't planning on throwing fireballs in your hold.

Good work! :)
6 brains
8 fun

Side note to architects who want to use this element in their holds:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Kaelyn at 03-03-2019 04:28 AM]
03-03-2019 at 04:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Fireballs (A new monster with new behavior) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com