Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : I have finished the game
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
cattivik
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
IP: Logged
icon I have finished the game (0)  
...now what? I want to play again!!
I guess I'll replay it and then start with other holds.
Thanks to all that have helped :)

/andrea

PS I think I read somewhere that you can have your name added to some sort of "Hall of Fame", how do I do that?

12-13-2003 at 11:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 783
icon Re: I have finished the game (0)  
That's the "Hall of Legendary Smitemasters" which includes "all those who have delved to the bottom of Dugan's Dungeon and defeated the 'Neather."

To get your name added, you send Erik an e-mail with your name and the answer to a question. I think it used to be "What does the 'Neather say when you kill him?", but now, with Caravel, it's changed to "What do the kids really want to hear about?" in the ending.

However, I'm not sure of all this, so wait for someone else to respond.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
12-13-2003 at 02:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
Except it needs to go to Matt, not Erik.

Check out this page for details.

"Oook!"
12-13-2003 at 02:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Yahoo seemed to be giving me trouble, but it turned out to be some jpgs for me. Woohoo!

I'm doing stealth updates via FTP (as opposed to the automated system I normally use) so the updated (and rewritten) Hall is up.

I've been doing some reformatting of the Hall because it's getting a bit long, and originally had it as a tree design with the names in alphabetical order on both sides. I'm not happy with that, because it doesn't seem that clear. Take a gander here, and tell me what you think.

Otherwise I'm just going to go with a split list.

Matt

[Edited by Mattcrampy on 12-13-2003 at 10:27 PM GMT]

12-13-2003 at 08:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Alright, I just took a gander at it, and here are my comments:

I think in a month and a half, when all these people downloading AE will start finishing the game, that you'll end up with the same problem as you're having now, with it just being too long.

A purely aesthetic comment, the names aren't quite in alphabetic order :P

That said, I have two suggestions:

Purely aesthetic again, I think the Hall of Legendary Smitemasters deserves some cool title graphic, maybe even something as simple as Beethro's sword behind the h1 or something.

Store the names in a text file, and have the page generate a table 3 columns wide via an embedded script. As long as the table cells all have borders and a pale blue background colour, with cellspacing="0", I think this will look really nice.

Edit: Since we're all pimping AE, should Webfoot be mentioned in the HoLS page? I think it would look okay if it instead said "If the version you beat doesn't have children, let me know and I'll send you an alternate question."

[Edited by DiMono on 12-14-2003 at 02:45 AM GMT]

12-14-2003 at 02:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
I think in a month and a half, when all these people downloading AE will start finishing the game, that you'll end up with the same problem as you're having now, with it just being too long.

Good point. I'm using a straight list that I can put out to multiple columns if necessary, and I'll probably do that next name.

A purely aesthetic comment, the names aren't quite in alphabetic order :P

Yeah, I noticed. I've started to sort it via Excel, then save it into a text file. A script would be far easier, but that's a workable stop-gap solution.

This method it's a real bugger to make it in alphabetical order.

Purely aesthetic again, I think the Hall of Legendary Smitemasters deserves some cool title graphic, maybe even something as simple as Beethro's sword behind the h1 or something.

I disagree. With the current design, I think it'd look a little tacky.

Store the names in a text file, and have the page generate a table 3 columns wide via an embedded script. As long as the table cells all have borders and a pale blue background colour, with cellspacing="0", I think this will look really nice.

The script is something I mean to do. I'm not sure about the blue table (like here on the forums) because I don't think it fits in with the rest of the design.

However, what I might do is make up a 'stone monument' look, with a nice big heading in Sihmpuhl Englihsh saying 'The Hall of Legendary Smitemasters' and everyone's names below in three columns. I need a fairly similar look for Chapter 3 of Beethro the Delver (where there's a stone plaque) anyway.

Matt

12-14-2003 at 10:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Glad I could help. I can write a quick perl script for you if you like to read the names and make the table.

12-15-2003 at 07:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Feel free. You'll have to comment it liberally, though.

Matt

12-15-2003 at 12:04 PM
dividendD
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 44
cattivik wrote:
Why Tell Us? I'm Sure People in the General Section Would Be Happy If You Put This Comment In General, not Hints+Solutions. What hint is it? What solution is it?

In Short:
1. Enter You In The "Hall Of LEgendary Smitemasters (You've probably already done that
:)
2. Next Time You Beat It, Put It In The General Section
01-28-2004 at 11:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
DividendD...

dividendD wrote:
cattivik wrote:
Why Tell Us? I'm Sure People in the General Section Would Be Happy If You Put This Comment In General, not Hints+Solutions. What hint is it? What solution is it?
I don't think it was quite friendly of you to put the comment that way, especially not with capitalisation on almost every word in the first sentence. If you want to say something like this, it would be better if you put the point forward more politely and less bluntly.

In Short:
1. Enter You In The "Hall Of LEgendary Smitemasters (You've probably already done that
:)
2. Next Time You Beat It, Put It In The General Section
It's a little off-topic (for the board), but I don't really see much of a problem in someone coming to the Hints board and posting, this time saying "Thank You" for all the help given in the past. I think it is appropriate to give thanks in the board from where all the help comes. Again, try to put less emphasis on the bluntness. It may offend.

01-28-2004 at 11:10 PM
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : I have finished the game
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com