Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The Media of the Eighth (Our Contest for November)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Media of the Eighth (+1)  
Briareos wrote:
Just because you had a bad experience or three with, let me guess, Adobe's Acrobat Reader doesn't make PDF a worse format than others nor should the format be reason enough to adjust your score by even a single point... :rolleyes
Try a hundred or so. But I had assumed that the problems were with PDF format, and not the reader. Apparently this was about as fallacious as using emacs and then concluding that GUIs suck. I am glad to know that PDF is not a truly useless format. Let it be known: I retract my hotheaded threat.

11-07-2007 at 01:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
icon Re: The Media of the Eighth (0)  
That's also as fallacious as using GNU emacs and saying you've used a GUI.

I've edited PS files by hand before though.
11-07-2007 at 05:05 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
If you want to keep going with discussion of editors and file formats, please take it to a new topic. Let's keep this topic focused on the contest, which includes problems people have with the rules. But hopefully we can stay constructive there for anything else that needs be said.

-Erik

11-07-2007 at 05:18 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: The Media of the Eight (0)  
Syntax wrote:
Is this actually the official November contest? Was expecting to see the Department of Challengs announce such a thing...
This is the November contest. Unfortunately there has been a bit of a misunderstanding which hopefully won't happen again.
11-07-2007 at 05:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
Tim wrote:
I do want to know if MeckMeck (or the judges) is going to do word counts on the entries, because he will have a great time if he only gets JPG files. ;)

I'd also want to know if the judges are allowed to vote based on (for example) spelling mistakes, in that case they should be able to do a spell check on the texts. If the entry cannot be easily transferred to a spell checker, like some PDF or JPG files, should a judge mark these entries lower?

PS. Has anyone try the Foxit Reader to view PDF files? It's faster than Acrobat... (Windows only)

PPS. I'm not willing to install OpenOffice just to view PDF files. My hard drive is currently full now due to the many versions of DROD I'm using ;)

There are no "judges". Every registered user of this forum is allowed to vote. If there is an invalid entry, it won't appear in the poll. So please try to keep your main story between 40 and 250 words. Everything will be fine then. The contest is about originality. I think, that even before you posted the rules said "In the poll, the voters will be asked how much they like your front page and how original it is.". It's NOT a spelling contest. Moreover, you don't need OpenOffice for this contest. As for the formats: I chose pdf/rtf/jpeg and html because they are all very common and usually everybody can open them.

I hope this post clarifies most issues. Have fun with the contest.

[Last edited by MeckMeck GRE at 11-07-2007 12:41 PM]
11-07-2007 at 12:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
Rank Points: 854
icon Re: The Media of the Eighth (+1)  
Has any thought been made about my idea of allowing submissions to be made in more than one format rather than just one. The vote would be for the submission not one for each media type. I would like to use both html and pdf.

11-08-2007 at 07:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
...is it allowed we scan a hand-drawn 'front page'? If yes, I'll give it a shot. If not, I'll try my best anyways...

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

11-13-2007 at 08:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Monkey
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 190
I'm already working on a newspaper-type thing (comic, if you're wondering), so I'm definitely trying this out. :thumbsup

11-13-2007 at 11:13 PM
MeckMeck GRE
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
...is it allowed we scan a hand-drawn 'front page'? If yes, I'll give it a shot. If not, I'll try my best anyways...

You are allowed.
11-14-2007 at 12:42 PM
MeckMeck GRE
I changed the deadline to the 25th of November. If you can't find the submission topic, it's here.

[Last edited by MeckMeck GRE at 11-18-2007 09:04 AM]
11-18-2007 at 09:03 AM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
MeckMeck GRE wrote:
I changed the deadline to the 25th of November. If you can't find the submission topic, it's here.
Can an admin make that thread sticky? (and while you're doing it, "unsticky" the DoBI threads as well).

11-18-2007 at 09:18 AM
techant
Rank Points: 854
Thanks for extending the deadline. :D I wasn't going to make it otherwise. :weep

I did get mine up. It is in HTML. I also have a webpage in a domain I have. Would we be able to have a link like that for those who have made HTML pages. I would even be happy to set up a page for all the others so it would be fair. I will be gone until Monday. So not till then could I do it.

[Last edited by techant at 11-21-2007 07:09 AM]
11-20-2007 at 09:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
MeckMeck GRE
You only have one day left, so hurry up! I'm sorry about the poll, I mixed up the dates.
11-24-2007 at 02:40 PM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The Media of the Eighth (Our Contest for November)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com