Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Below Witherwood (A little of everything)
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.5/10 (24 votes)
σ 1.96
Author Name:Roger
Submitted By:calamarain
Hold Name:Below Witherwood
Theme:A little of everything
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:11
Number of Rooms:108
Number of Monsters:1936
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.1)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:3 (+6 / -3)
Poster Message
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1218
IP: Logged
icon Re: Below Witherwood (+1)  
Well, this was a tough hold but very enjoyable especially from the variety on each level. The custom monsters are a great touch and the storyline/voice-acting is excellent (I thought I did a few lines but can't locate where).

Anyways, highly recommended
08-14-2010 at 04:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
PMIT
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 159
IP: Logged
icon Re: Below Witherwood (+2)  
Overall, this is a very good hold that I enjoyed playing. As CSR touched on, most of the rooms are based less on lynchpins and more on dealing with a set of monsters in a constrained way despite having a lot of room to work with, many of which felt quite unique to me, and even the most straightforward rooms are set up so that you will probably need to plan to complete them. Like Witherwood Castle, there's a story and voice acting to go with it, complemented by several custom portraits and monsters. The main monster, the warba, fits in excellently with the style of the hold, though I actually found myself enjoying the scripted characters in the Citadel of Blades a bit more despite being slightly less original (though I suppose the warba isn't exactly meant to be enjoyable given their slow but often unavoidable crawl towards you). I found the story a bit more interesting than Witherwood Castle's, but the main 'running gag' made be very uncomfortable, sadly. Luckily it was at least less frequent after the first few rooms and then mainly by the antagonist.

I liked a lot of rooms in this hold, even ones that looked a bit scary at first, but my favorites were probably Mines 2N3W, Icy Tower 1N3W, Castle Stores 1S1W and 3S, Mindlock Cave 1W and most of Citadel of Blades. I also really liked the creative use of the fog weather effect in the Baths level - it really helped sell it!

Having said that, onto Pathways of Witherwood! Or at least as much of it as I can before TSS releases. :P

06-09-2014 at 05:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Below Witherwood (A little of everything)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com