Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Edge of the World (Puzzles)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.3/10 (15 votes)
σ 1.84
Author Name:boyblue
Submitted By:BoyBlue
Hold Name:Edge of the World
Theme:Puzzles
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:5
Number of Rooms:80
Number of Monsters:466
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.0)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:2 (+2 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Edge of the World.hold (28.9 KB)
Downloaded 1765 times.
License: Other
icon Edge of the World  
This is a puzzle-based hold focusing on elements that are new in TCB. It has about 50 rooms, ranging from fairly-easy to fairly-difficult.

There is a little bit of a story, but don't expect too much from it.
09-29-2007 at 07:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stephen4Louise
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 548
icon Re: Edge of the World (+1)  
Fantastic! There isn't really any more to be said about this, look out for the secret rooms, there are some killers to be found.

10 out of 10 without a doubt.

Steve.
09-29-2007 at 07:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
I was a beta tester, but I haven't mastered it yet. Some really tough stuff in here.

As expected, though, BoyBlue's latest hold is an excellent design and great fun. A 10 for fun, and 7.5 brains.

Josh

09-29-2007 at 11:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Remlin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 181
icon Re: Edge of the World (+2)  
Too many great new holds! Not enough time! But a new BoyBlue hold always has a go-to-the-front-of-the-line-free pass with me, and this one is up to the usual standards. Excellent quality hold. I thought the difficulty was pretty consistent throughout, which was tough, but easier than BoyBlue's other holds. (Of course, I say that not having done the secret rooms yet...) The puzzles for the most part were flash-of-insight type rooms, never any filler, always unique and original rooms.

If you'll take a bit of criticism, I thought the lich level went on a bit long. A few of the rooms were just lichen manipulation, without any real puzzles to solve. Maybe I just don't like those guys. In contrast, the first monster level was much more fresh - lots of great stumpers and variety there. 2N1E was my favorite, so many ways that *almost* work that really did a great job keeping me away form the actual solution.

7 brains, 10 for fun. Thanks for the excellent hold!
09-30-2007 at 05:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
I'm not quite finished with this hold, but I have completed almost all the required rooms and feel ready to judge this hold.

First of all, it is excellent - there are many interesting puzzles that highlight behavior of the TCB elements, and others are not difficult on their own but are maddening to optimize. Some, such as
Lich Level : 2 South and Serpent Level : 1 North, 1 East made me feel as if I had performed magic as I was defeating them.

I think that boyblue has done a great job with this hold. However, I would say that there is some filler - for instance, Second Level : 1 North, 1 West and Serpent Level : 1 North, 3 East. Other rooms, such as Fifth Level : 1 West and Serpent Level : 1 South, 2 East are of the "do it over and over and over again until you get it right" type, which is not the sort I enjoy.

I had a lot of fun playing this hold and I'd like boyblue to continue :)

10-01-2007 at 01:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1908
icon Re: Edge of the World (0)  
Firstly, I show 92% and 0/1 secrets on the main level. Any help finding the secret room?

Secondly, very fun hold as is expected from the boy in blue. Ya pretty much learn something new in every room, but the rooms aren't too cluttered so you can actually figure out the tricks with some thought.

Thirdly, I only had two points, but groups of three generally work out better.
10-18-2007 at 08:29 PM
Stephen4Louise
Rank Points: 548
icon Re: Edge of the World (0)  
larrymurk wrote:
Firstly, I show 92% and 0/1 secrets on the main level. Any help finding the secret room?
It's a sneaky one, so I'll give you one hint...
Click here to view the secret text

Oh, and have fun when you find it :evil:
Steve.
10-18-2007 at 08:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
noma
Rank Points: 1594
I'll post my comments once I've finished this very excellent hold (almost there!) but as per a conversation in Chat with CSR and Schik, I am posting rooms that are currently marked non-high-scorable, but maybe shouldn't be.

They are:
- Edge Level : 1S / 1S, 2E / 1N, 2E
- Serpent Level : 1N / 1S, 2E
- Fifth level: 1S, 1W
09-30-2009 at 05:39 AM
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
Great hold. Lots of exellent puzzles with ideas I never saw before.

Room I particulary liked: brained-Rock-giants puzzle in fifth level(1N 1E); serpent level 1N 1E; lich level 2S.

6,5 brains, 10 for fun

Maybe it's time to try to complete Madness in Spring now...

[Last edited by mxvladi at 03-31-2010 04:06 PM : changed my opinion about difficulty after playing tougher holds]
10-01-2009 at 12:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Edge of the World (Puzzles) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com