Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Where does all the blood go?
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
IP: Logged
icon Where does all the blood go? (0)  
So you're Beethro Budkin, exterminator extraordinaire. You carry with you some state-of-the-art extermination gear: a great big sword.

As you hack and slash your way through the dungeons below King Dugan's Castle, you leave countless bodies of dead roaches and eyeballs in your wake.

...so where are they?

11-30-2003 at 09:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
icon Re: Where does all the blood go? (0)  
Hmmm.....

Apparently they exist, because one of Wesley's puzzles says they remain there for him to count.....

Maybe they fall to the floor and therefore are no longer relevant. Beethro and other monsters just step on them mindlessly.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
11-30-2003 at 09:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
icon Re: Where does all the blood go? (+1)  
I don't care how irrelevant they are, when I kill five hundred roaches on a single square it's gonna be a challenge climbing over their carcasses

11-30-2003 at 10:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
You see, it is a magical dungeon. Seeing as we are in the Eighth and all. When a creature is dead, it vanishes. The dungeon, sensing no life, annihilates it with a clear bolt of very hot lightning laser thing. Amazingly enough, if Beethro dies, this lightning laser thing actually teleports him back in time to where he entered the room. It's a very friendly lightning laser.

11-30-2003 at 10:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
That sounds good, I guess.....

11-30-2003 at 10:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
zex20913 wrote:
You see, it is a magical dungeon. Seeing as we are in the Eighth and all. When a creature is dead, it vanishes. The dungeon, sensing no life, annihilates it with a clear bolt of very hot lightning laser thing. Amazingly enough, if Beethro dies, this lightning laser thing actually teleports him back in time to where he entered the room. It's a very friendly lightning laser.

How do you know that the same doesn't hold for every monster? They are just teleported back to a happier alternate universe where Beethro didn't kill them. It's a very friendly dungeon to be with, except for the people who regulate alternate universes, since there are so many of them created by it.

11-30-2003 at 11:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
Very true, I suppose. We do only see the story from Beethro's standpoint. Perhaps it does do this, but instead of truly alternate universes, it is an alternate universe where there is only one being throughout the alternate universes. Um...yeah.

12-01-2003 at 03:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
How about "the dungeon floor is full of cracks. When a monster dies, it becomes almost liquid and slips down."

(Except for serpents. They push themselves into nothingness).

12-01-2003 at 05:25 PM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
Keep in mind that the game is an abstraction of the Eighth world. It can't depict everything that happens in the dungeon, or the game will get cluttered with details. When Beethro kills monsters, they do stay around as you would expect them, but while playing the game, you won't be able to see them because it would make the game more confusing to look at. It is a standard clause of Beethro's contracts that he gets all the corpses for his own use. After clearing a dungeon, he typically spends several weeks dragging carcasses over to the Roasted Roach Grill.

-Erik

12-01-2003 at 05:50 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
ErikH2000 wrote: After clearing a dungeon, he typically spends several weeks dragging carcasses over to the Roasted Roach Grill.

But then, what about when Beethro starts to kill hundreds of monsters in one spot? (see above - DiMono's post, I think)

Within reason, he shouldn't be able to get over them after that. If the sizes in the game are realistic, it's not likely that anything could ever get over even one.

P.S. Who likes to each roachmeat at a grill anyways?

12-01-2003 at 07:04 PM
eytanz
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
P.S. Who likes to each roachmeat at a grill anyways?

Almost everyone who tried it.

12-01-2003 at 07:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ZZT-X
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
I'm more of a goblin and potatoes guy, myself.
12-01-2003 at 07:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
But then, what about when Beethro starts to kill hundreds of monsters in one spot? (see above - DiMono's post, I think)
Dungeon exterminators are trained to kill with one hit. They wear light clothes, no armour, and carry massive swords that will cut through anything. It is a style of combat that only works when each blow carries death for its receiver--complete and nonrefundable. In contrast, a soldier in Dugan's army hides behind a large shield and takes baby hacks at his opponent, usually prefaced with false observations concerning shoelaces. Beethro is striking each creature with a terrific force, often hurtling creatures far away from him. He has already planned which two or three monsters will die next on any given hit, so it would be disastrous to spend an extra slice finishing off some mostly-dead roachie.

Also, like all smitemasters, he's quite used to stomping over piles of dead things. You don't see it in the game, but he's got the legs of a mountaineer and seaman combined, and is remarkably agile in difficult terrain.

-Erik

12-01-2003 at 08:07 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
ZZT-X wrote:
I prefer half a pound of Wraith Wings...

12-01-2003 at 08:23 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
DiMono wrote:
ZZT-X wrote:
I prefer half a pound of Wraith Wings...
I think I'd have a nice steaming bowl of Brain soup noodles with fried Serpent instead. :D

[Edited by agaricus5 at Local Time:10-14-2004 at 10:37 PM]

12-02-2003 at 12:15 AM
Skylancer64
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 62
Goblin and potatoes? Roasted Roachmeat? Brain soup noodles? Fried Serpent?

*screams* :w00t :yucky Bleh.

I'll have a Neather Sandwich please.

:P

12-02-2003 at 02:35 AM
eytanz
Gross. The 'neather is human, sort of.

I think tar is the way to go - who doesn't like blue food?

12-02-2003 at 03:05 AM
The_Red_Hawk
I think tar is the most disgusting of all to eat..... ;)

If the other stuff was cooked you couldn't really tell what it was.

12-02-2003 at 03:25 AM
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
eytanz wrote:
Gross. The 'neather is human, sort of.

I think tar is the way to go - who doesn't like blue food?
I am aware that the goo goose is fond of eating tar, but for us folk, I think tar could turn out far worse than anything else on the DROD 'menu'. What, for instance, would happen if you've got a plate of tar, and you just carve a little bit off? Live food :(

On the plus side, tar might be popular in all-you-can-eat buffets. Put a miniscule portion infront of everyone, wheel in the tar mother, and off they go. There's one small drawback. All the clientelle would spontaneously explode on the next tar mother cycle if they eat too much.
12-02-2003 at 12:33 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
StuartK wrote:
I am aware that the goo goose is fond of eating tar, but for us folk, I think tar could turn out far worse than anything else on the DROD 'menu'. What, for instance, would happen if you've got a plate of tar, and you just carve a little bit off? Live food :(
It would be very irritating to not be able to just cut off a little corner - you'd have to cut a larger portion, and then it's just going to create some irritating tar babies. The smallest bit of tar you could eat would be 4 times the size of Beethro!

12-02-2003 at 12:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Schik wrote:
StuartK wrote:
It would be very irritating to not be able to just cut off a little corner - you'd have to cut a larger portion, and then it's just going to create some irritating tar babies. The smallest bit of tar you could eat would be 4 times the size of Beethro!
How would you eat it?

Would you drink it like thick soup or slice it like jelly?

12-02-2003 at 02:13 PM
The_Red_Hawk
I think of tar as more like molasses.

12-02-2003 at 05:20 PM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1132
Anyone up for an Evil Eye kabob?

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

12-03-2003 at 01:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
billbuckner
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 57
I prefer Roach egg drop soup. (you eat it FAST.)
12-03-2003 at 02:21 AM
leroy00
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 155
ErikH2000 wrote:
In contrast, a soldier in Dugan's army hides behind a large shield and takes baby hacks at his opponent, usually prefaced with false observations concerning shoelaces.

-Erik

:huh :unsure :? -_- :lol :blush

On a somewhat :offtopic note, about which I for some reason feel no guilt after reading this thread, who else would like to see the rest of the picture used for Erik's avatar? Somehow I expect the guy to be holding a banjo.

On another :offtopic note, does it bother anyone else that clicking on a smiley adds it at the bottom of the post regardless of the cursor position? I am usually to lazy to do the keyboard->mouse->keyboard thing, which ends up in my doing the copy->cut->paste thing.

leroy

12-03-2003 at 07:19 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
leroy00 wrote:

On a somewhat :offtopic note, about which I for some reason feel no guilt after reading this thread, who else would like to see the rest of the picture used for Erik's avatar? Somehow I expect the guy to be holding a banjo.

I've got it.

Matt

12-08-2003 at 04:10 PM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Mattcrampy wrote:
leroy00 wrote:

I've got it.

Matt

You've got the banjo? Can you play some songs for us?

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-08-2003 at 04:28 PM
Mattcrampy
Well, I do have one song, but I'm not really done with it. It doesn't sound as it should. The permutations created by the formula, you see, they don't place notes in a--

Sorry - I was referring to the picture Erik's avatar comes from. Erik sent me a special delivery to my old address (in case anyone's interested, I'm going to mattycramp@yahoo.com.au, and I'm training a spam filter at the moment, so the more junk it gets the better) which should get up on the site with the rest of this stuff.

Aah! My work is never done.

Matt

12-08-2003 at 04:44 PM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
Mattcrampy wrote:
I'm training a spam filter at the moment, so the more junk it gets the better
The e-mail server that handles my e-mail rejects about 5 mails on a good day, and 30 mails on a good day. (It only has good days as I never see any spam, and it has never rejected a non-spam message). I could make it forward all rejected e-mails to you, if you like, in stead of deleting them. :evil:

[Edited by trick on 12-08-2003 at 05:54 PM GMT: sp.]
12-08-2003 at 05:52 PM
Mattcrampy
Uhhh....

I'll live. I reckon I'll get enough spam by putting my e-mail address up.

Matt

12-08-2003 at 06:14 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Where does all the blood go?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com