Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Lunchbreak Special (Compilation)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.4/10 (16 votes)
σ 2.15
Author Name:Kevin
Submitted By:Kevin_P86
Hold Name:Lunchbreak Special
Theme:Compilation
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:61
Number of Rooms:593
Number of Monsters:10658
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:9 (+9 / -0)
Poster Message
NoahT
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1132
IP: Logged
icon Re: Lunchbreak Special (0)  
This doesn't affect gameplay, but I just discovered that in The Mine Shaft: The Entrance, the speech repeats each time you re-enter the room. Just thought I'd point it out.

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

09-17-2007 at 03:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
icon Re: Lunchbreak Special (+4)  
Kevin_P86 wrote:
In regards to my entry (#10)... I would appreciate any specific comments
Here are some comments for Kevin:

09-17-2007 at 04:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
icon Re: Lunchbreak Special (+2)  
My reply to Ms. Rabbit:

09-17-2007 at 07:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
CuriousShyRabbit wrote:
Here are some comments for Kevin...

Uh, yeah. What she said.

A few passing comments-on-comments:

09-17-2007 at 08:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Some more comments for Kevin. I will just firstly point out that I think you tend to overdo your concepts. Oh, and the timelimmit was of. It took me about two hours to complete this hold. None of the other top ten holds took that long.

Now that I've actually compleated the hold I think it's quite okay. I would give it a funraiting of seven, but initially I thought it looked quite messy.

Great compilation, by the way! I find it a bit funny that even the very good holds (holds I'm quite sure would have been rated around 8-9) hade quite low ratings.

Edit: More comments. I have now compleated the hold.

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 09-17-2007 01:17 PM]
09-17-2007 at 09:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Thanks, Kevin, for your thoughtful reply to my comments:

[Last edited by CuriousShyRabbit at 09-17-2007 10:40 PM : idea - how to "dumb it down" for a Rabbit]
09-17-2007 at 09:59 AM
Stephen4Louise
Rank Points: 548
Kevin_P86 wrote:
Rabscuttle wrote:
The final room of the winning hold really needs a checkpoint. *grumble*
I've always been really curious whether that room is possible or not... :)
I can get off to a great start and be in a winning position, until the wubbas arrive, then it all goes wrong. I have to agree with Rabscuttle though, checkpoints would make the room more bearable.

Steve.
09-17-2007 at 10:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
iamyum
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 64
icon Re: Lunchbreak Special (+1)  
I definitely have to give this a fun rating of 10. Awesome compilation. I especially like the fact that Kevin did not alter the original holds nor do a "best of 10" type selection. This way I can enjoy the entire thing similar to how some people who has a craving to watch the movie scenes deleted for the theatre version but shown in the DVD version. This style probably serves the widest audience too. Personally I started from the lowest numbered holds and worked my way up, enjoying better and better lunches in time. Good work to all hold authors and Kevin for the compilation work. Two thumbs up! :thumbsup
09-18-2007 at 01:04 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Stephen4Louise wrote:
Kevin_P86 wrote:
Rabscuttle wrote:
The final room of the winning hold really needs a checkpoint. *grumble*
I've always been really curious whether that room is possible or not... :)
I can get off to a great start and be in a winning position, until the wubbas arrive, then it all goes wrong. I have to agree with Rabscuttle though, checkpoints would make the room more bearable.

Yeah, that's where I got to too. There is a definite breathing point that I get to where a checkpoint on the main path would be the bees knees. I'm currently running backwards through the other levels (done 1, 2, then 25->11 or 12) and I should be able to crack it once I finish.

Re unscorable rooms, haven't yet seen the level people are talking about but I'd guess it's the Infinity one. I agree with the principle of marking identical rooms unscorable. It looks like there's two variations on that room highscorewise - presumably due to entrances.
The trouble with compilation holds is that the architect should get a say in it and it can become a mishmash :/
I do think the menu level should be marked uninteresting.
09-18-2007 at 05:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Blondbeard wrote:
It feels a bit silly to grab the same highscorte over and over again in tricks hold. I wouldn't protest if all (most of?) the rooms there were marked as un-highscorable. I have been getting a lot of #1s though :P

I agree with this.

First, I don't think it was the architect's intention for a player to conquer all the rooms in Nightmare Roses (Infinity). This hold was a "concept" entry, and the main goal for the player was to stop the repetition and escape the nightmare.

Second, I just checked to see which rooms I am missing highscores for. I got a list of 68 rooms. 65 of them are from Nightmare Roses (Infinity). Going back and beating the same room 65 more times seems ... excessive.

EDIT

Another room that needs to be marked as unhighscorable is the postmastery room in Timo's hold, which has a master wall on the entrance square. (The spider threw out my demo because of the master wall.) This is Entry #19 (The Level) 1S1W

[Last edited by CuriousShyRabbit at 09-18-2007 06:51 AM]
09-18-2007 at 05:46 AM
Kevin_P86
I agree about the Infinity entry and the non-highscorable rooms, but I'm not exactly sure how it should be done. The only suggestion has been to only leave the entrance, but I'm not sure if that's fair - the intent is to require the player to complete any one of the 81 rooms.

But I guess unless someone has a better idea, that's as good of a room as any to leave high scorable...

Edit: There are likely other rooms that are currently marked as high-scorable that shouldn't be. If there are such rooms, let me know and I will mark them as such.

[Last edited by Kevin_P86 at 09-18-2007 06:00 AM]
09-18-2007 at 05:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Edit: There are likely other rooms that are currently marked as high-scorable that shouldn't be. If there are such rooms, let me know and I will mark them as such.

Looking at CSR's three other missing scores, it looks like Lunchbreak Special : The Level : 1 South, 1 West is the only one that is definitely unscorable (due to a master door on the other side)

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 09-18-2007 06:55 AM]
09-18-2007 at 06:54 AM
Kevin_P86
Rabscuttle wrote:

Looking at CSR's three other missing scores, it looks like Lunchbreak Special : The Level : 1 South, 1 West is the only one that is definitely unscorable (due to a master door on the other side)
You're right - I have marked that one. Thanks.

09-18-2007 at 07:11 AM
Tahnan
Kevin_P86 wrote:
As per my request in the post in which I submitted my hold, all eight rooms in "In the Archive" should be marked as unhighscorable, since at least seven of them have a trivial "just walk through it" solution. (Conceivably, 1N3E could still be scorable; that one's nontrivial.)
09-18-2007 at 10:42 PM
Kevin_P86
Tahnan wrote:
Kevin_P86 wrote:
As per my request in the post in which I submitted my hold, all eight rooms in "In the Archive" should be marked as unhighscorable, since at least seven of them have a trivial "just walk through it" solution. (Conceivably, 1N3E could still be scorable; that one's nontrivial.)
Ok, thanks. I can't view that post, since it is a submission topic, but I do remember Mr. Crampy telling me about that. I will leave 1N3E, at least for now, and mark the rest as un-highscorable.

09-18-2007 at 11:21 PM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
First of all, thanks Kevin!! Thanks so much for putting together this compilation.

I've only completed 15 of the holds so far, but I can safely say there's a lot of fun to be had here. With contributions from so many architects you're sure to find a lot to enjoy. The flip side of this is that you'll probably find some stuff you don't enjoy. Luckily you can easily skip any holds you want to. So try this compilation and have hours.. and hours of fun!
09-22-2007 at 02:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1132
A minor bug: In Land, 1N7W, the bomb at (16, 14) doesn't go off when you enter its range.

-Noah

My stuff:

09-23-2007 at 06:39 AM
Kevin_P86
NoahT wrote:
A minor bug: In Land, 1N7W, the bomb at (16, 14) doesn't go off when you enter its range.

-Noah
Yes, I noticed that (and IIRC, there are one or two others like this...). But since this is how tokyokid submitted it to the contest, this is how we left it - I didn't want to change anything that I didn't have to (which would include things like playability / backtracking issues).

09-23-2007 at 08:14 AM
Kevin_P86
Ok, so I have marked all rooms in Nightmare Roses except the entrance as un-highscorable. As was mentioned, the idea isn't to complete the same room dozens of times, and the entrance is as good a room as any to leave high-scorable.

09-23-2007 at 11:14 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
Well...I guess it's better to have them voided than conquered...there goes 1054 points. :(

Still, I'm sure there were some people who did not conquer the entrance room.

09-24-2007 at 12:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle

File: booya.JPG (12.8 KB)
Downloaded 632 times.
License: Public Domain
booooooya!

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 09-24-2007 01:19 AM]
09-24-2007 at 01:18 AM
captainzakku
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 77
Rabscuttle wrote:
booooooya!

Well done... I had a feeling you would be the first to beat it. I've been close twice now. Stupid wubbas.

09-24-2007 at 02:15 AM
Kevin_P86
Rabscuttle wrote:
booooooya!

Hmm... there's something funny with that demo... at least when watching it in 3.0.0, a guard kills the eye on (23, 17) on move 88, but all the monsters act like its still there (for example, the golem on (24, 18) never moves to (23, 17) when it should).

Any ideas?

09-24-2007 at 04:02 AM
Rabscuttle
How can you see the demo?

I'm at work now, but I think you mean the gap in the south wall of eyes? I remember that - what is happening is the brained golem wants to go north and is waiting for the sleeping eye to get out of the way - it's too stupid to try something else. I was safe as long as I didn't get on a diagonal with the golem.

That actually can be a problem elsewhere - golems, wubbas (and goblins even) can get stuck behind sleeping eyes on the west side of the room which means you can't wait in a safe spot for them to come and get you - you have to run out into the open to get them to come at you (and you subsequently get killed or suffocated.)

I was lucky in that the guards killed a couple of the western eyes and my dead golem wall was set up so the dumber monsters walked around the eye that was left. Everything (except one golem) came to get killed in the NE corner, and the spawned roaches are bearable when the wubbas are all behind you.

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 09-24-2007 06:01 AM]
09-24-2007 at 05:50 AM
Kevin_P86
Rabscuttle wrote:
How can you see the demo?
I didn't think it'd let me either, but it let me download it - presumably since its my hold...?

I'm at work now, but I think you mean the gap in the south wall of eyes? I remember that - what is happening is the brained golem wants to go north and is waiting for the sleeping eye to get out of the way - it's too stupid to try something else. I was safe as long as I didn't get on a diagonal with the golem.
Ah, ok - I didn't know that about brained golems - I assumed they were smart enough to move around something like that. Live and learn, I guess :).

At any rate, it is rather impressive that you managed it! :)

09-24-2007 at 06:11 AM
Tahnan

File: noooOOOoooOOOoooOOOooo.png (841.6 KB)
Downloaded 152 times.
License: Public Domain
Rabscuttle wrote:
booooooya!
In contrast, see the attached pic. And its filename.

Oh, god, if only it had a checkpoint.
09-25-2007 at 01:51 AM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Tahnan wrote:
Rabscuttle wrote:
booooooya!
In contrast, see the attached pic. And its filename.

Oh, god, if only it had a checkpoint.

I like the fact that you bothered to include the move count in the image as well. Just makes the pain that much more...painful.

09-25-2007 at 02:52 PM
martz
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 414
I've just finished wading my way through this hold - I've cleared all rooms except one (which is being discussed above) so I think I've played enough to review this.

This hold consists of 25 entries for a competition to create a hold that can be completed during a 1 hour lunchbreak. Some of the entries go down like chablis and oysters, whereas others are like trying to eat a tough old boot. If you'll excuse the slightly bizarre (and not really relevant) metaphors I'll begin; I played the levels in order of difficulty (easiest to hardest) so I'll just list a few comments about each one

Start Menu: Would have been nice to have a bit more variety with the hub level (I'm thinking of Advanced Concepts hub as a comparison), however this is a JtRH hold and there may not have been time to put any more effort in.

A Visit to Mellenfral by Tahnan: Certainly a nice story wrapped up in a simple little level but it didn't impress me as much as its ranking would have suggested.

Shortness by Someone Else: Different staircases going to different locations - do not like.

Holds Al dente Lst6 by Lst6: Unpredictable scripting, quiz room is annoying, nothing really original.

Al Dente North Carolina by jjohn7418: Nothing too difficult, but a lot of the rooms were unnecessarily long.

Valley Of Nowhere by bomber50: Not bad - nice use of levels, a decent attempt at a story, some repetition of ideas (eg. stand in middle and release the monsters), harder rooms were similar but with more monsters and less room.

The Crossing (Holds Al Dente) by tokyokid: Nice symmetry, nothing particular interesting puzzle wise.

Beethro Budkin Stars in... by captainzakku: Some good representation of famous scenes (certainly enjoyed the Monty Python one) & scripted puzzles - not too bad.

The Pyramid of Doom by Ezlo: Good concept and a very nice setting, some spelling mistakes but not the only example in this compilation.

Hold Al dente by Timo006: Okay - decent attempt at mathematical representations, some unpredictable scripting though.

Chambers 1-5 (Holds Al Dente) by tokyokid: Nice asthetics, nothing too taxing or onerous - good effort.

60 Minutes by Krissan: Okay - nothing special, nothing too difficult.

Oct2006 Contest - Spider Invasion by techant: Not bad - few too many spiders for my liking though.

Holds Al Dente Jeff_Ray by Jeff_ray...: Decent effort, some tricky rooms but nothing too difficult.

A decision of no Choice by NiroZ: Very good - some tricky rooms and lots of secrets which I always consider a good thing.

A story about a man by The spitemaster: Short and enjoyable - not sure why this ranked so low in the competition.

Holds Al Dente Jason by Jason: Nice concept, good lynchpin puzzles - again not sure why this ranked so low.

Beethro's Shortcut by Kevin_P86: Good - puzzles not too tricky, the seep room was my least favourite.

Nightmare Roses by trick: Very clever but also not too difficult or frustrating.

Mobius Hold by schep: Again a very clever level - small but perfectly formed.

Professor Goole's Goolean Dungeon by Sergenth: Brilliant - a worthy winner. If you don't play any of the other levels you must play this one. Intuitive scripting that you can figure out using various clues scattered around the level. Puzzles not too taxing but for a hold of this nature that's fine. It's a real shame we haven't had more holds from Sergenth.

Beethro : The Gatherer by coppro: Some nice room graphics, but some of the rooms were a real chore - most notably the goblin and seep rooms.

Bugged by Jacob: Nice collection of ortho-square puzzles - not too tricky and just the right size.

Hold of the Hour by Chaco: Nice variation of puzzles, not overly complicated.

Under The Trapdoor by Doom: Not as hard as I expected a Doom hold to be, which was nice. There were a few red herrings but most of the rooms were easy enough to work out.

20,061,022 by BoyBlue: Fairly difficult puzzles, nothing really stands out with the level and design though.

So, I'd definately recommend playing at least the winning entry as it is a fantastic little level but there are some other worthwhile efforts in here. In some respects it's quite tricky to rate a compilation - particularly one with as many entries as this but on the whole I found this a positive experience, and if you only wish to complete the hold you only need to clear the top ten entries anyway.

My verdict:

Difficulty: 6
Fun: 6

Progress - Gavin G
11-04-2011 at 11:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Lunchbreak Special (Compilation)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com