Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Dugan's Dungeon Revisited (Early floors of Dugan's Dungeon with a twist!)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.3/10 (43 votes)
σ 1.78
Author Name:Mike Rimer
Submitted By:mrimer
Hold Name:Dugan\'s Dungeon Revisited
Theme:Early floors of Dugan\'s Dungeon with a twist!
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:6
Number of Rooms:56
Number of Monsters:683
Version:DROD: Architect's Edition
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:4 (+4 / -0)
Poster Message
Krishh
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 282
IP: Logged
icon Re: Dugan's Dungeon Revisited (0)  
:~( The stairs at the end of DD lead back to the beginning of DD. IS it supposed to be this way, or is it that bug again?
06-08-2004 at 04:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Some of the stairways do go back to the start of a level. Which level+room has this behavior?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-08-2004 at 04:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Krishh
Rank Points: 282
Downward Descent 2S3E, the left stairs.
06-08-2004 at 05:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 854
Krishh wrote:
Downward Descent 2S3E, the left stairs.
When I used the stairs in the same place.
This is the room

Went to black screen that said "You have conquered Dugan's Dungeon Revisited" ... where will the
tunnels take you next?"
Hitting enter takes you to the main menu.
Hitting continue from the main menu will take you back to level 1 with all the other levels in the restore available, but I was very confused. Is this intentional? I would have expected to go to level 1 again directly without hitting continue just like the other levels.

I am glad I checked the forum to see how many levels there were or I would have thought I was done and missed the rest. :w00t

[Last edited by techant at 08-07-2005 04:11 AM]
07-17-2004 at 08:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Frodo
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 25
icon Re: Dugan's Dungeon Revisited (+1)  
I just finished playing this hold and love some of the puzzles.

As to Downward Descent: Once South ("the snake and the tar" room), I don't really find it that random. Fun little puzzle!

Frodo
08-13-2004 at 09:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
YtterbiJum
Rank Points: 29
Wow, this hold is great! I beat the snake-and-tar room easily. But I'm having a little more trouble with this room. Is this supposed to be one of the impossible rooms? Because otherwise, why won't the blue door open?

08-22-2004 at 03:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
It's possible. It's rather difficult to explain how without giving away the answer, though.

08-22-2004 at 03:38 PM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
I had a lot of difficulty with this room too. Um...
Click here to view the secret text
I don't think I can say any more without giving away the solution.

08-22-2004 at 04:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Argh....I'll try my best...this may be considered a explicit solution, so be warned!!!

-Patrick

08-22-2004 at 04:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
JayS
Rank Points: 16
I can't seem to find the stairs to access

08-23-2004 at 07:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
That's to be expected:

There are secret passages and unmarked stairwells all over this hold, it's just a matter of tracking them down. Since they're hidden, I don't know how wise it is to tell you how to find them...

08-23-2004 at 09:43 AM
JayS
Rank Points: 16
Well, unless the editor is hiding something from me, I've seen every room in this hold, and I still can't find the stairs.
08-23-2004 at 05:11 PM
YtterbiJum
Rank Points: 29
Downward Descent leads to...

:huh
Ok...

08-23-2004 at 10:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
Well, I am quite confused about the Forgotten Way. The highscores page does say there is one explorer on that level, but... Is it currently possible to reach *that* level? The only way I know of to hide stairwells is tar, but there isn't any tar to be found in the vicinity; crumby walls (or regular walls) do not seem to be able to hide those stairwells, and I have visited all rooms, so.

08-04-2005 at 02:58 PM
Insane
Rank Points: 154
I beat the first floor VERY easily but now im in the second floor and im stuck in the entrance i cant think of any possible way to kill all of the roaches coming from all directions pls help me here

-Insane

08-06-2005 at 04:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Insane wrote:
I beat the first floor VERY easily but now im in the second floor and im stuck in the entrance i cant think of any possible way to kill all of the roaches coming from all directions pls help me here.
It will be easier to help you on the Hints and Solutions forum, please post your question there.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
08-06-2005 at 05:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
JayS wrote:
I can't seem to find the stairs to access

Sorry, everyone. I haven't been paying attention to this thread :( I've fixed this bug and uploaded a new version. These stairs are in

08-30-2005 at 06:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
Indeed, it now works much better. Thanks!
09-01-2005 at 07:04 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
I've just noticed, and haven't read why elsewhere, that only 3 of the levels appear in the high scores list. Is there a reason for this?
04-10-2006 at 12:37 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
Hmm. Well, notably, many of Downward Descent's rooms have appeared in one form or another in JtRH (The Goblin Bridge is easier with trapdoors, but the queen ledge room is the same, and the Eight Queen problem was a secret room... somewhere or another).

04-10-2006 at 08:30 PM
Syntax
Sorry, I wasn't very clear:

This only lists levels 1, 2 and 3 ie not "Downward Descent" though this level does appear in the Hints and SoOlutions forum, and are scorable in game.

04-10-2006 at 08:52 PM
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
Syntax wrote:
This only lists levels 1, 2 and 3
Umm, no it doesn't. It lists (at least for me):
First Level, Second Level, The Forgetten Way, Third Level, Downward Descent, Eleventh Level

Edit: This hold seems to have 'Only allow viewing if visited' enabled, so you need to let Caravelnet know you've explored those other levels. If I log out, I only see the three levels.
I don't know why you're able to see Downward Descent in H&S, though.

[Last edited by Stefan at 04-10-2006 09:15 PM]
04-10-2006 at 09:05 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Stefan wrote:
Syntax wrote:
First Level, Second Level, The Forgetten Way, Third Level, Downward Descent, Eleventh Level
If I'm not logged in, I see only the first three levels. Beyond that, it seems to depend on your progress in the hold. I can see Downward Descent, but not Eleventh Level. (I'm at 18/31 scores) And well, I don't have a clue about what's the intented behaviour.
04-10-2006 at 09:14 PM
Syntax
Stefan wrote:
Syntax wrote:

Edit: This hold seems to have 'Only allow viewing if visited' enabled, so you need to let Caravelnet know you've explored those other levels. If I log out, I only see the three levels.
I don't know why you're able to see Downward Descent in H&S, though.
Weird! Reckon this might be a bug with regards to dual accounts then. This was originally a post on behalf of VodkaAndCoke. She's finished that hold, but as she was going through "The Forgotten Way", "Downward Descent" and "Eleventh Level", she couldn't (and still can't) see the high scores for these levels on the site. I haven't played the hold, so maybe it's checking for the progress of player 1, and not the actual current player. Will post as a bug in the next couple of days if no-one else gets this behaviour...
04-11-2006 at 02:57 PM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3408
Just got around to playing this one - funny how for all the griping in the thread, the rooms in Downward Descent hold up the best. Standards seem to have changed.

Also, "The Forgetten Way"? Really? :)

02-10-2012 at 05:13 AM
Munby
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
Holy 6 year bump!
Just finished playing this hold, I found it enjoyable.

11-30-2012 at 07:54 AM
CrazyDiamond
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 38
This one was interesting mainly for the Downward Descent section, Eight Queens problem got me stuck for a while and I found the solution not while I was playing, but while thinking about it half asleep in a bus. :P
Apart from that didn't find so much appeal in it... anyway this was one of the very first holds and JtRH paid its proper tribute to these levels too.

P.S. I've counted 55 rooms and not 56 in the restore section... am I missing something?

[Last edited by CrazyDiamond at 12-23-2013 06:39 PM]
12-23-2013 at 06:38 PM
mrimer
Yeah, this hold was my first attempt at building DROD levels, back when I just implemented the level editor. Fortunately, it's pretty simple and not too long. A few nice rooms there, imho. Thanks for trying it out!

(Don't know about where the room count de-sync you're seeing is offhand, or where you might be missing something.)

[Last edited by mrimer at 12-23-2013 07:08 PM]
12-23-2013 at 07:05 PM
CrazyDiamond
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 38
mrimer wrote: Yeah, this hold was my first attempt at building DROD levels, back when I just implemented the level editor. Fortunately, it's pretty simple and not too long. A few nice rooms there, imho. Thanks for trying it out!
Thank you for building it and for all the subsequent work done for the development of the game itself. :)

mrimer wrote: Don't know about where the room count de-sync you're seeing is offhand, or where you might be missing something.
Probably it's a matter of synchronization (maybe 56 refers to an older version modified later), in the build section for the conquerors of the hold I'm not seeing any more rooms other than the ones visited.

[Last edited by CrazyDiamond at 12-27-2013 02:59 PM]
12-24-2013 at 04:16 PM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Dugan's Dungeon Revisited (Early floors of Dugan's Dungeon with a twist!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com