Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : The Mining Business (Mining Engine)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.7/10 (27 votes)
σ 2.20
Author Name:Jason
Submitted By:Jason
Hold Name:The Mining Business
Theme:Mining Engine
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:3
Number of Rooms:18
Number of Monsters:887
Version:DROD: The Second Sky (5.0)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:2 (+2 / -0)
Poster Message
da rogu3
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 491
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Mining Business (+1)  
west.logan wrote:
Thank you, I hope there are more like this.
I'd recommend RPG 3.0, it's made by the same guy and has some really incredible scripting (although it's much more difficult than this hold, I haven't finished it yet)
05-15-2011 at 09:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 608
icon Re: The Mining Business (0)  
Thank you very much for mentioning that. I will look into it when I have the chance.

05-16-2011 at 02:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed my hold - the scripting system is very versatile, even before the addition of the DROD RPG commands (which I haven't even looked into yet).

I appreciate the support and hope that this hold helped you (a bit) on your quest up the high scores board! ;)

06-01-2011 at 01:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
It did, strangely I got a 1st place score on this one, in one of the training levels. Perhaps it was a US.

06-01-2011 at 01:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
Humph. Shoulda kept my mouth shut. mxvladi must have read this :D

06-02-2011 at 06:52 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
west.logan wrote:
Humph. Shoulda kept my mouth shut. mxvladi must have read this :D
Don't think he needs to - I think he can just sense available #1s :)
06-04-2011 at 02:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
martz
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 414
Having started playing this using 3.3 (even after having read the post stating it was broken) I've finally finished the last room and beaten the hold.

This hold really shows the versatility of the scripting in Drod and gives you an idea of what can be achieved. I imagine the boundaries have been stretched even further with GatEB as well. This hold contains a mining engine, with a few tutorial rooms and some tougher puzzle rooms. It would have been nice to see a few more architects contribute a few more rooms (maybe a contest could have been arranged?) but the last level is pretty tough and I expect most people will spend a while on it. It's hard to explain exactly what you do - the best thing is to install and play it for yourself. I'm aware that Jason also created the RPG 3.0 hold which I haven't got round to playing yet and he clearly has a good grasp on the complexities of scripting in the Drod engine, and how this can be used to create a seemingly different game to the original.

If you'd like something a bit different from the norm, I would definitely recommend you try this hold.

My rating:

Difficulty: 6
Fun: 8

Progress - Gavin G
05-16-2012 at 11:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Just a heads up, while this is a TCB hold in a few minutes I will be uploading a new version of this hold because a change that happened in TSS 5.0.1 [sic[/rb] that actually invalidated almost all of the demos there. If you replayed this hold in TSS 5.0.1 you might've noticed the brains next to the player's starting position in the rooms.

Anyhow this hold will then be available only from TSS 5.1+, a more detailed report will be available once I go through all the currently failing demos.

02-14-2016 at 06:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434
Issue: In Training Center 1E, I went through the upgrade thingy after upgrading the converter, and was prompted with a "What would you like to buy? Yes/No" text box.

I can't undo from this text box at all. Not sure if this is a hold issue or an issue with the beta build I'm using (5.1.0.6345).
02-14-2016 at 07:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : The Mining Business (Mining Engine)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com