Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : The Mining Business (Mining Engine)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.7/10 (27 votes)
σ 2.20
Author Name:Jason
Submitted By:Jason
Hold Name:The Mining Business
Theme:Mining Engine
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:3
Number of Rooms:18
Number of Monsters:887
Version:DROD: The Second Sky (5.0)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:2 (+2 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: The Mining Business.hold (44.7 KB)
Downloaded 1719 times.
License: Other
icon The Mining Business  
I first made this engine a long while ago, and just recently put it on to the forums. Many people liked it, so I made a few more levels and got one from Chaco. (Thanks!) Then I made three tutorial levels, explaining exactly what you need to do, bit by bit. I hope everyone has fun, and might consider making their own levels. The hold is anyone-edit, so you can look at the scripting.

DISCLAIMER: CRAFTY AND COMPLICATED SCRIPTING IS USED!

So, enjoy!

- Jason
08-08-2007 at 04:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stephen4Louise
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 548
icon Re: The Mining Business (0)  
If ever there was a hold that showed off the power of the DROD scripting engine, this is it.

Shovels at the ready folks!

Steve.
08-08-2007 at 04:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
As someone who contributed a mine to this hold, I can say that once you conquer this hold, I think it would definitely be worth it to look at the scripting when you're done. If you understand it, it's not actually very difficult to make levels.

I believe we've made a game that's not Deadly Rooms of Death over here.

Plus, I think this hold reasonably explains what happens after the oremites eat metal.

EDIT:

Although the coins speaker is set to None in the missions, in the training center the coins speaker is still a Wraithwing and thus the portrait flickers from Beethro to Halph.

[Last edited by Chaco at 08-08-2007 05:03 PM]
08-08-2007 at 04:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Just started playing and yeah... brilliant concept hold! So far, easily a 9. It's a total different game.

One thing though, it seems the oremite convertor actually costs 55 as opposed to 50 (stepping off the conveyor costs 5). Maybe that charge is true for whatever the first object you buy is... haven't tested that yet.
08-08-2007 at 05:56 PM
Monkey
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 190
Syntax wrote:
One thing though, it seems the oremite convertor actually costs 55 as opposed to 50 (stepping off the conveyor costs 5). Maybe that charge is true for whatever the first object you buy is... haven't tested that yet.
Maybe it's a tax.
Yeah! It has to be a tax!

[Last edited by Monkey at 08-08-2007 06:08 PM]
08-08-2007 at 06:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Should have known :)
08-08-2007 at 06:11 PM
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
And Mastered!

Well, it's a really cool idea, but I don't really like the mining rooms, in the first two I felt I just had to wait for a long time since I had to survive for 1500 moves, the third one was pretty fun, but the last one was horrible:no. It was quite fun to play through anyway, as I already said it's a really cool idea and the scripting is awesome.

08-08-2007 at 09:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
There's interesting stuff here, certainly. The fact that "undo" in the upgrade area doesn't really let you undo--it sends you back a space, but you're still stuck in the upgrade area and thus forced to upgrade--is quite frustrating. Still playing around with it.
08-09-2007 at 04:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
Rank Points: 854
OK I am in training but how do you get your aumtlich(you as an aumtlich) to fire at the roaches? :blush I have the demo tcb 3.0.1 :?

08-09-2007 at 10:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Tahnan wrote:
There's interesting stuff here, certainly. The fact that "undo" in the upgrade area doesn't really let you undo--it sends you back a space, but you're still stuck in the upgrade area and thus forced to upgrade--is quite frustrating. Still playing around with it.

Undo should take you off of the force arrow, allowing you to go in another direction. Is there a room where this isn't true?

Josh

08-09-2007 at 03:01 PM
Pilchard VIII
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 392
jbluestein wrote:
Undo should take you off of the force arrow, allowing you to go in another direction. Is there a room where this isn't true?

In the second level this is true.

Anyway, allow me to add my own admiration to this hold's concept. It's very unique, and has one of the best uses of scripting I've seen. Great work!

08-09-2007 at 06:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
In the second level this is true because I moved the force arrow one square to the left, noting that undoing would then put you back at the entrance to the building.

Anyway, I'd like to add that both of the nastier (brained) swarms in my level are, in fact, very easy to survive if you purchase two specific upgrades and use them wisely.

08-09-2007 at 07:22 PM
Syntax
I'd just like to add that I completed this hold (9/4) without ever needing to build a bridge.
08-09-2007 at 08:59 PM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Also, in some rooms, the coins you have "left over" is given as $coins$, i.e. all the coins you earned, not your surplus. (Don't mind me, I'm just frustrated by the last room.)
08-09-2007 at 10:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
sam3212
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 6
icon Re: The Mining Business (-1)  
:thumbsup if you wanted to mack a new level hear is a thing to alou you to carry mor metel in vars
key
m=metel
c=coins
i=invetertore

i + m
m x amount of c 1 is wort
c + m
m = 0

from Sam3212 :)

08-31-2007 at 02:33 PM
Bingbing
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
Pure. Awesome. I beg you. PLEASE MAKE A SEQUEL!

09-07-2007 at 01:02 AM
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
icon Re: The Mining Business (+8)  
Bingbing wrote:

:D I'm so glad everyone liked it!

09-07-2007 at 07:00 AM
sam3212
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 6

File: sams Game World .hold (18.2 KB)
Downloaded 96 times.
License: Creative Commons
Attribution 3.0
Jason wrote:
Bingbing wrote:

:D I'm so glad everyone liked it!

if you mack a new one i will make a level
you can edit if you want :) :)

[Last edited by sam3212 at 09-13-2007 05:23 PM]
09-13-2007 at 04:05 PM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
icon Re: The Mining Business (+2)  
I think something has broken somewhere - the first training level (at least) seems to mess up somewhere - Once you do the upgrade the door with the builders keeps opening and closing so they don't get out. Also the no. of coins keeps dropping so I'm guessing it's stuck in a loop somewhere.

edit: and it looks like it's affecting all the game-rooms - my demos are all complaining of different gameplay behaviour.

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 05-19-2008 10:31 AM]
05-19-2008 at 10:23 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
icon Re: The Mining Business (+3)  
The Mining Business has been fixed and updated!

Thanks to:
Jason and Stefan for fixing the hold
Wallu for testing
Schik for updating

This is now a 3.2 hold. Those of you who played before and want highscores for this hold will have to play a bunch of it again. That's because 3.2 broke the old metal-money converter scripting, and it was not possible to fix it such that all the old demos worked again.

Enjoy! This is a fun and different diversion from regular DROD. :)
08-14-2008 at 03:48 AM
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
icon Re: The Mining Business (+1)  
WOW. This is a cool thingy!

I liked the Halph-to-aumtlich changer, I also liked fruit and metal collecting, I also like building and paying for getting stalwarts... I like everything! This is indeed a very cool hold with a very cool idea.

While not being too tricky(I gave 6 brains), it's go fun that I gave 10 for fun.

:thumbsup

(and why somebody gave "1" for fun factor?)
08-18-2008 at 04:58 PM
Samuel
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 69
Excellent Gameplay. Brillinat use of the scripting engine. Fantastically Enjoyable to play. What more could you want: 5 brains and 10 fun!

even if it's in your mind. Who's to
say that dreams and nightmares
aren't as real as the here and now?
John Lennon
07-05-2009 at 03:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
icon Re: The Mining Business (+1)  
I'm bumping this topic because for the longest time nobody could get highscores for The Mining Business : Worlds : Entrance or The Mining Business : Worlds : 1 East. Thanks so very much to Schik for fixing the problem. Now everyone can go ahead and upload their scores for these two rooms. :)

It's also a fun game to play, if you're looking for something completely different.
09-03-2009 at 02:36 AM
minimike98
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 1
you no i love this hold but mabey i mite make one of my own mining games what about any one else?
09-06-2009 at 02:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
Woohoo! I'm loving this hold so far! The first two levels were relaxingly easy (as the name "Very Very Easy" and "Very Easy" suggests) but the third and fourth one give miners a hard time.

First mineshaft: 7 fun 3 brains.
Second mineshaft: 7 fun 5 brains.
Third mineshaft: 8 fun 6 brains.
Fourth mineshaft (estimation): 9 fun 7 brains.

Overall: 7.75 fun (rounded to 8) 5.25 brains (rounded to 5.5).

This hold was fun, but there was room for improvement. Perhaps more monsters than just roaches, goblins,

Rock golems (only stalwart/mimic defenders could destroy them).

Wave of spiders (not that it should happen, just a suggestion, since spiders = bad).

Wave of adders (...good luck scripting this! However, this might have potential).

Or wave of roach queens NPC's that turn into roach queens after a certain number of turns.

But to avoid ending this comment on a less than positive note, I will say to Jason that this is an awesome hold. Good job figuring out the scripting! :thumbsup

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!

[Last edited by 12th Archivist at 10-05-2009 09:01 PM]
10-05-2009 at 08:02 PM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
I'm not going to take any credit for this hold. It was made by Jason.

10-05-2009 at 08:44 PM
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
Jacob wrote:
I'm not going to take any credit for this hold. It was made by Jason.
Whoops. Edited.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
10-05-2009 at 09:01 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
I actually went back and played through this hold after the upgrade blew away my scores.

It's a fun little concept, not much like DROD but a very impressive scripting job.

I give it 5 brains and a 7 for fun.

Josh

10-29-2009 at 04:10 PM
da rogu3
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 491
Very unique hold -- it's amazing to see what people can do with the scripting engine, I haven't seen anything like it before.

The only criticism I have is the length, it would have been nice to see the concept expanded into more than 4 rooms.

I breezed through the levels fairly quickly, although the last one did take quite a bit of time.

I'm giving this 4 brains and 8 fun - definitely recommended for any moderate skilled players looking for a nice, quick challenge. Nice work :)

[Last edited by da rogu3 at 05-11-2011 08:48 PM : typo fixed]
05-11-2011 at 06:02 PM
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
After rogu3's review I decided to play this one and I'm glad I did. The mining idea was actually quite fun and gave the game a different dynamic than a regular DROD hold. I would have liked to have seen a larger hold and perhaps a more extensive story line (it really could have had potential for a story). Very, very fun and I'm glad I played. Thank you, I hope there are more like this.

05-14-2011 at 11:24 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : The Mining Business (Mining Engine)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com