Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : The Forbidden Fortress (Fortress)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

6.4/10 (15 votes)
σ 1.82
Author Name:Vipul
Submitted By:VIPCOOL
Hold Name:The Forbidden Fortress
Theme:Fortress
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:11
Number of Rooms:63
Number of Monsters:652
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.1)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:-2 (+1 / -3)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: The Forbidden Fortress.hold (22.2 KB)
Downloaded 1358 times.
License: Other
icon The Forbidden Fortress  
This is my sixth hold. It is part one of three holds I am making. I have spent more time on it than my other holds. Each level has a different theme and the puzzles aren't that difficult. I hope you like it.
08-03-2007 at 01:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3623
icon Re: The Forbidden Fortress (0)  
I decided to play this one through. So far, this hold has mainly focused on hack-and-slash, with some very nice refinement of the "oh geez oh geez run for it the briar is going to eat me alive" theme.

The fourth level is pretty tedious, though.

I'll comment more specifically when I complete the hold.

08-03-2007 at 05:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1908
I found this hold pretty quick and fun for the most part. Playing as a rock golem and water skipper was neat. Having scripted characters that look like golems but move according to unknown scripting annoyed me.

Thanks for the overall fun hold.
08-03-2007 at 07:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
larrymurk wrote:
Having scripted characters that look like golems...
OK, I'm trying to understand what can and can't be used. I would have thought that using the golem images would be a copyright issue; but the hold admins approved the hold, so apparently it's allowed. Is all of this clarified somewhere?
08-04-2007 at 09:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stephen4Louise
Rank Points: 548
Tahnan wrote:
OK, I'm trying to understand what can and can't be used. I would have thought that using the golem images would be a copyright issue; but the hold admins approved the hold, so apparently it's allowed. Is all of this clarified somewhere?

According to the HA tools, there are no custom graphics in the hold. So the hold was passed. Remind me where the suspect golems are in the hold and I will take a closer look.

The golems in question are simple characters using rock golem in-game graphics, so there's no problem there.

Steve.

[Last edited by Stephen4Louise at 08-04-2007 09:23 AM]
08-04-2007 at 09:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Ah, I see. You know what it is--I'm not used to scripted characters that can kill you. I confuse so easily.
08-04-2007 at 10:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
larrymurk wrote:
Having scripted characters that look like golems but move according to unknown scripting annoyed me.

it wasn't annoying to me because the scripting was announced in the level description, and there were only 2 rooms of it, where the movement didn't really matter much, since it was just "run away", anyway.

08-04-2007 at 10:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Tahnan wrote:
Ah, I see. You know what it is--I'm not used to scripted characters that can kill you. I confuse so easily.
Eh? Khaim's "War" holds are full of those... :|

np: Denzel + Huhn - Offane (Paraport)

08-04-2007 at 10:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
Briareos wrote:
Tahnan wrote:
Eh? Khaim's "War" holds are full of those...
OK, to clarify: I'm not used to scripted characters that can kill you without swords.
08-04-2007 at 07:24 PM
Danteslives
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 48
I really enjoyed this hold, but give a delver a warning when you go from "ok, this is fun with fairly easy levels", to "WOAH this is still fun, but the level is NOT fairly easy". I loved the fact that this hold taught me that I still stink at being efficient. Great job!
08-06-2007 at 03:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
A good hold. I didn't care for the unpredictable Slayer scripting in the waterskipper rooms. I'm cool with the iron golems, but the player should get some warning.

08-13-2007 at 03:32 AM
Tahnan
Was this just updated? (I ask because I think I just downloaded an update.) If so, how?
12-24-2007 at 04:46 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
Yes, this hold was updated about a month ago, because Floor 2 : 1N was impossible in 3.1. That room has been changed so that it works in 3.1.
12-24-2007 at 04:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : The Forbidden Fortress (Fortress) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com