Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : "Longest room" contest
Page 5 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
schep
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 864
IP: Logged
icon Re: "Longest room" contest (0)  
sims5000 wrote:
Is this one possiable with the arrows init?
Still doesn't quite work, I think. I tried replacing the rattlesnake with one of length 2 heading away from Beethro, and it made several wrong turns and got stuck. The original would probably run into problems as soon as two or three columns at the east are empty.
05-09-2005 at 06:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
Nuntar wrote:
Well, I know this is an old topic, but....

I'd like to present Eternity 4. It's basically a remake of Eternity 3 but with walls round the edges so it's more like a "proper" DROD room. More importantly, this is the first of the Eternity rooms -- to my knowledge -- for which the creator has calculated the exact number of moves required to complete the room. Not the number of orb hits -- that's easy -- the number of moves. Are you ready?

It's 1,739,458,933,654,711,979,814,414,527,790,449,867,759,156,535. That's well over a septillion (or tredecillion, for you Americans). At the rate of ten moves per second it would take five and a half sextillion (undecillion) years to complete.
A worthy necro. :) Bonus points for knowing *exactly* how long the room is!

01-16-2008 at 03:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
icon Re: "Longest room" contest (+1)  
I won't believe it until I see a demo.

01-16-2008 at 03:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sillyman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
Good luck making one, then.

01-16-2008 at 06:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1299

File: Eternity 5.hold (2.3 KB)
Downloaded 71 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: "Longest room" contest (+2)  
Beaten. I added ortho squares, making it much longer. I didn't feel like calculating how long it would take, however.
01-17-2008 at 04:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jutt
Rank Points: 863
C h a l l e n g e !
 Let an optimal solution be a solution for a certain room which solves that room with the least number of moves possible.
Find an upper bound + proof for the number of moves an optimal solution can have. 

01-17-2008 at 01:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Nuntar wrote:
It's 1,739,458,933,654,711,979,814,414,527,790,449,867,759,156,535.
Oh, please. You just know that Syntax will find a 1,739,458,933,654,711,979,814,414,527,790,449,867,759,156,534-move solution.
01-17-2008 at 06:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Okay, I'm at 11321 moves, in 12 minutes, 48 seconds. I'm off to a good start.
01-18-2008 at 04:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
Five digits down, 41 to go. At this rate, you'll be done in about two hours! Power through it!

01-18-2008 at 10:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Monkey
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 190
NOTE: DO NOT READ UNLESS YOU GET THE LAST POST (sorry for the caps):
Click here to view the secret text

01-18-2008 at 11:16 PM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Jutt wrote:
C h a l l e n g e !
 Let an optimal solution be a solution for a certain room which solves that room with the least number of moves possible.
Find an upper bound + proof for the number of moves an optimal solution can have. 

A while ago (actually, a long long long time ago) there was a 'how many possible DROD rooms are there' challenge, which was managed to be solved, I think. I'm not sure whether its been updated for JtRH/TCB, but (assuming we're ignoring scripting), take that, multiply by, say, 30 to deal with roach queen and snake timers, and you could probably be done.

So basically, take the number of elements in the game, counting rotations etc as distinct, including burnt fuses, spawning roaches, and things that only happen mid-room, take that to the power of the number of the squares in the room, multiply by some huge constant that covers all possible monster-movement-order issues, multiply by 30ish, multiply by some other constants I've forgotten, and theres an upper bound for any room solution (since every state has been covered).

[Last edited by TripleM at 01-18-2008 11:46 PM]
01-18-2008 at 11:46 PM
Someone Else
You missed some. What about Mother and tar on trapdoor on water?
01-19-2008 at 01:26 AM
Someone Else
Okay, true.
01-19-2008 at 01:29 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
Yes, but mothers on tar can make some spaces cuttable - even if a tar mother is on top of a corner, or even if a gel mother is on top of an outside corner or outside edge, the respective tarstuff can be removed.

[Last edited by Chaco at 01-19-2008 01:35 AM]
01-19-2008 at 01:35 AM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Yeah, I know you can do much better, but mines still an upper bound, and I think the proof is much easier :P
01-19-2008 at 02:02 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
Nuntar wrote:
I.... don't see how that's relevant. You can't ever get a mother on a square where there wasn't one to start with.

Okay, okay, I didn't read that properly enough. Yeah, a tarstuff mother can never be on the same space as a space that started out with a cracked orb, so that wouldn't work. Sorry about that.

01-19-2008 at 02:16 AM
Seth
Rank Points: 264

File: Longest room hold.hold (1.7 KB)
Downloaded 31 times.
Here's mine probably something around 10000 moves no scripting!

Boy this took a long time to make I'll maybe make a longer version.

1278 error exceptions in the code...
04-15-2012 at 11:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Seth
Rank Points: 264

File: Longest room hold.hold (1.9 KB)
Downloaded 39 times.
Here's my second same thing times 10.

1278 error exceptions in the code...
04-15-2012 at 11:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
blorx1
Rank Points: 920

File: LongRoom.hold (2 KB)
Downloaded 49 times.
icon Re: "Longest room" contest (+3)  
After seeing this thread I decided that I should make one of these, using only minamalist elements. I've made a room using a single force arrow, a single broken wall, about 415 roaches and some walls. It should take around 250,000 moves if I constructed it properly, and if I really wanted to, I think I could possible increase the needed number by a bit.

04-19-2012 at 11:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734

File: Skells LongRoom.hold (2.4 KB)
Downloaded 49 times.
I hope you won't mind blorx1, but I have improved your excellent design and made it that killing one roach takes 1264 moves.

Considering that there are now 419 roaches, conquering this room should require ~529,616 moves. I think it still could be improved!

04-21-2012 at 11:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Zaratustra00
Rank Points: 107
Now, what's the longest room solved with non-repeated moves? Like, assume there's a key that performs the action "repeat my last X moves Y times", and that counts as a single move for any values of X and Y.
04-24-2012 at 01:18 AM
Kwakstur
Rank Points: 385
Zaratustra00 wrote:
Now, what's the longest room solved with non-repeated moves? Like, assume there's a key that performs the action "repeat my last X moves Y times", and that counts as a single move for any values of X and Y.
Now we're moving into self-information and entropy and all sorts of ugly things.

Ick, I picked a bad time to come in.

04-24-2012 at 01:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Rank Points: 354
I like that change. It makes it harder to make the puzzle. Or like it could actually be a puzzle.

I wish that man would stay away
04-24-2012 at 02:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else

File: SL The Level The Entrance Victory.demo (19.7 KB)
Downloaded 33 times.
Sorry for the necro, but I have news:

Skell, I beat it! Not optimally, but not bad. And your estimate is way off. I beat it in 460550 moves. The issue is that the first 120 roaches you don't need to hit orbs to kill.
08-01-2012 at 09:49 PM
blorx1

File: An Eternity.hold (3.5 KB)
Downloaded 35 times.
I made a silly, semi-minimalist room for this, just for the sake of it. It's pretty short by these standards, but I still think the idea is kind of clever. The demo I made for a previous version is about 95000 moves, and a minor change I made ended up shortening the room by some amount, but random changes could increase the length again.

09-17-2013 at 01:03 AM
blorx1

File: LongerRoom.hold (2.2 KB)
Downloaded 36 times.
I don't like to double post but I also made a cool modification to my other room. It's a heck of a lot more force arrow intensive, but it still fits the minimalist theme. I think it should take just about 1 million moves, which is nice.

Edit: I realize I actually screwed something up, shortening the room somewhat, it's still probably pretty long, but not as long as I first thought.

[Last edited by blorx1 at 09-18-2013 12:04 AM]
09-17-2013 at 04:00 AM
Red-XIII
Rank Points: 618

File: More than 181832.hold (3.3 KB)
Downloaded 31 times.
After watching some rooms I decided to give it a shot.
It's my first attempt to make a long room and it should take more than 181832 moves. I used more elements compared to other rooms but I hope that it's fine.
I'm sure there are better ways to use speed potion as a delay but for know that's all I could do.

09-17-2013 at 02:37 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
I haven't tried these yet, but these definitely sound like some *long* rooms!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
09-17-2013 at 08:38 PM
Page 5 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : "Longest room" contest
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com