Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Goonhard da Ginky's Cellar (20 rooms for your enjoyment!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.8/10 (14 votes)
σ 2.08
Author Name:Geiler Hengst
Submitted By:Geiler Hengst
Hold Name:Goonhard da Ginky's Cellar
Theme:20 rooms for your enjoyment!
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:6
Number of Rooms:34
Number of Monsters:280
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:3 (+3 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Goonhard da Ginkys Cellar.hold (23.9 KB)
Downloaded 1354 times.
License: Other
icon Goonhard da Ginky's Cellar  
Final release of an old hold. 5levels, 20 rooms ranging in difficulty from 4 to 10+ and funwise from 0-hopefully 8+.

Check it out and help bethroooo to clear the cellars of the king.

NOTE: The last level is a collection of HARD remakes of previous rooms, some of which might be boring or just a bit too hard, dont take it as a real part of the hold, more as an exhibition what the hold might look liked when i even had a worse day when i made it.

05-11-2007 at 09:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jbluestein
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1670
icon Re: Goonhard da Ginky's Cellar (0)  
I give this hold an 8 with 6 brains. Some really excellent rooms here.

I haven't managed to beat all of the rooms on the last (HARD) level, but it's very good.

Josh

05-12-2007 at 02:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
I'm liking the freedom of movement and the general larrymurkiness of the puzzles. haven't beaten it yet, but so far nice job (and it's harder than 6)

05-12-2007 at 10:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
silver wrote:
I'm liking the freedom of movement and the general larrymurkiness of the puzzles. haven't beaten it yet, but so far nice job (and it's harder than 6)

Yes, I'm surprised anyone would rate the difficulty below 6. Very strange.
05-13-2007 at 01:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Geiler Hengst
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 64
I guess it's the mixture... some levels are probably 1-2 brainers, some more likely 8-9 brainers that gives you an average around 6.

However have fun playing it, every kind of feedback welcomed...

EDIT: I just found out that one room (Level2) 1W is much easier than it should have been... i didnt know until today, that snake behaviour in connection with tunnels changed from 2.0 to 3.0. :-(

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Geiler Hengst at 05-13-2007 10:21 PM]
05-13-2007 at 09:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dolan42
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 195
Geiler Hengst wrote:
EDIT: I just found out that one room (Level2) 1W is much easier than it should have been... i didnt know until today, that snake behaviour in connection with tunnels changed from 2.0 to 3.0. :-(
I think that this is a bug and will be fixed thus any demo using it will probably be invalidated at some point.

Oh, and I rate it a 9 with 8 brains, I still have a few rooms to go, but they are Clearly Impossible.

Edit: Could you mark King's Castle 3 South as uninteresting? With the master wall in the previous room 1 move demos don't seem to get rid of it.

[Last edited by Dolan42 at 05-14-2007 01:47 AM]
05-14-2007 at 01:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Geiler Hengst
Dolan42 wrote:
Oh, and I rate it a 9 with 8 brains, I still have a few rooms to go, but they are Clearly Impossible.

Edit: Could you mark King's Castle 3 South as uninteresting? With the master wall in the previous room 1 move demos don't seem to get rid of it.

Clearly Impoosible :-) Sure... but just about 50% of them i guess... No everything is 100% doable, just post on the Hints and solution oard an i'll help u.

What so you mean with the Edit:? I dont really get it and actually fear i wont be able to do anything about it since the hold is already uploaded in its final version...
05-14-2007 at 02:23 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Geiler Hengst wrote:
What so you mean with the Edit? I dont really get it and actually fear i wont be able to do anything about it since the hold is already uploaded in its final version...
I'm not an architect, so I don't know the exact page, but on one of the webpages you should have access to after uploading a hold you can mark rooms as unhighscoreable.

05-14-2007 at 02:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Geiler Hengst
Ok thx for the info.... btw i also put all the entrances on non highscoreable as they dont deserve it in my opinion..

I just found out about a much bigger issue:

As all the rooms in level 5 are not required you are able to download the demos before you solved it yourself, which I think kind of sucks... is there any way to stop that?

05-14-2007 at 05:49 PM
jbluestein
Geiler Hengst wrote:
As all the rooms in level 5 are not required you are able to download the demos before you solved it yourself, which I think kind of sucks... is there any way to stop that?

I don't think this is the case. Just because a room is unrequired doesn't mean you get to download the demos without beating it.

Although I think that there's a bug in DROD 3.0.0 that sometimes marks unrequired rooms as solved on some level when they're not actually solved -- that might make the demos accessible that way?

Josh

05-14-2007 at 06:14 PM
silver
I think that bug deals only with secret rooms, but I could be wrong.

05-14-2007 at 06:15 PM
jbluestein
silver wrote:
I think that bug deals only with secret rooms, but I could be wrong.

Could be. In any case, I have only solved one of the four rooms on the fifth level, and I can't download demos for the other three.

So I think Geiler need not worry.

Josh

05-14-2007 at 06:16 PM
silver
If you haven't watched someone else's demos, you won't have triggered the bug anyway - the bug is that if you watch someone's demo, you get "credit" for all the secret rooms they've solved up to the point at which they recorded the demo (in the same hold only).

05-14-2007 at 06:18 PM
Geiler Hengst
Ok thats what i did and thats what then happened.

I imported my own demo from level5 1N from Drod 2.0 to drod 3.0 as i wanted to check wether it still works or not. Then as soon as the demo was imported (i didnt watch it) rabscuttles demo was avaiable for download, although i still havent officially solved the room. Either this is a weird bug or i was just lucky :-)
05-14-2007 at 08:53 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Geiler Hengst wrote:
Ok thats what i did and thats what then happened.

I imported my own demo from level5 1N from Drod 2.0 to drod 3.0 as i wanted to check wether it still works or not. Then as soon as the demo was imported (i didnt watch it) rabscuttles demo was avaiable for download, although i still havent officially solved the room. Either this is a weird bug or i was just lucky :-)
First of all, glad to see this hold released. Had a lot of fun playtesting it though I didn't get very far. Glad you haven't changed much. It really is excellent (will vote when I finish it).

As for the demo downloading thing. That happened to me whilst playing TCB and is probably a bug. Restarting DROD made things back to normal.
05-18-2007 at 04:55 PM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
icon Re: Goonhard da Ginky's Cellar (+2)  
Oh, my! When you say something is really hard you mean it :D

I have just finished Real Stuff 1N, and I literally tried out dozens of strategies. None of them were wasted though, since each progressive strategy brought me one babie step closer to the solution. A Excelent room were you have to pay atention to detail. It was some time since I felt such a pleasurable adrenaline rush after solving a room :)

All in all I rate the hold a 9.
05-20-2007 at 11:30 AM
Remlin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 181
icon Re: Goonhard da Ginky's Cellar (+1)  
Just finished this hold, and I thought it deserved a bump. Great bit of architecture here: Nice variety in the puzzles, good challenges, and no filler or annoying rooms. I always like a layout that let's you explore other levels when you're stuck on something, and this hold has all rooms accessible at all times.

I thought the difficulty ratings were off a bit at times. Level 5 was definitely the hardest, but otherwise the other levels were all a mixed bag. I think level 4 was the first one I finished. But that's alright, maybe it's better to spread the difficulty across the hold to keep things fresh. Anyway, I hope we see more holds from you!
09-13-2007 at 08:58 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Goonhard da Ginky's Cellar (20 rooms for your enjoyment!) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com