Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Abuse of Light and Tiles to produce-- (Yet more of a hold)
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
IP: Logged
icon Re: Abuse of Light and Tiles to produce-- (0)  
I'm not entirely sure what you've edited, but okay, sure, go for it?
05-12-2007 at 08:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Neathro
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 41

File: Modified Memories.hold (70.8 KB)
Downloaded 57 times.
License: Public Domain
Okay, I edited: the tar mother's den: added way easier soloution, added: Set misic finale to the last 3 rooms. I also changed the way the light in Houses works, its now when you step on the space it comes from.
oh yes, and I added 6 wall lights to the skull piles in Recollections Once North.

05-12-2007 at 12:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Yeah, Banjooie, are you done with this hold? Or are you working on it?
05-12-2007 at 02:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
I'm actually working on it still, it's just that I've been uninspired to a great degree, and busy with a variety of things.

...is the Tar Mother's Den really that bad? Really? I was just trying to eliminate Stefan's trivial solution...

Edit: And having seen your version...uh.

I see that swords kill everything, but I don't see how you turn them on.

[Last edited by Banjooie at 05-12-2007 08:53 PM]
05-12-2007 at 08:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Banjooie wrote:
...is the Tar Mother's Den really that bad? Really? I was just trying to eliminate Stefan's trivial solution...
The Tar Mother's Den was quite possibly my favourite room in the hold. It required efficiency and cleverness, all wrapped up together like a twinkie of puzzle goodness.

05-13-2007 at 06:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Banjooie wrote:
Because I think I was the one who complained, I think I should say that I don't think it is too bad. I just don't like hyper efficient rooms, that's all.

It also doesn't fit to the rest of the hold. I think that room alone makes your hold's brain rating go up by 2.

I'd rather see that room as optional. Or as an challenge.

Besides, there is no such thing as a Stefan's solution that is trivial. :D

05-13-2007 at 08:38 AM
Banjooie
I'll make it optional then, in the next version, and I think I know exactly how.

It is sort of terrifying--

Oh, and there's a Stefan trivial solution. Half of that was just making it not easily finishable before the first spawn.
05-13-2007 at 09:08 AM
Neathro
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 41
1 west of the very bottom right accessable space there's an NPC, step there i think?

if you right click and select the whole playing field in the editor with wall light, light or darkness it show the whole playing field so you can see the distinctive Alternate Floor square.

oh yeah, and until i used the editor i didn't know how to get to Under the island.
and yess, i HATED the tar mother's den!!!
OK?

[Last edited by Neathro at 05-13-2007 04:42 PM]
05-13-2007 at 04:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
...you know, to be honest, I really thought it was one of those rooms that theoretically was difficult but since every wrong move made you lose it was basically brute-forcable. But anyway, yeah. In the mysterious and eventual new version, it will be optional.
05-13-2007 at 07:33 PM
Yellow_Mage
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 267
Banjooie wrote:
I'll make it optional then, in the next version, and I think I know exactly how.

It is sort of terrifying--

I don't normally swear when I play puzzle games.

Click here to view the secret text

05-13-2007 at 07:54 PM
Banjooie
Okay, come on, the room was not /that/ hard.
05-13-2007 at 08:05 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Banjooie wrote:
You are the /architect/. You can't judge that very well because you /made/ the room in question, so of /course/ the solution is easy to see for you.

/slashies/

05-13-2007 at 09:01 PM
Banjooie
I'm trying to live in this world where somebody plays larrymurk's holds, and Doom's, and Stefan's, and tells me that the Tar Mother's Den is the first time they've sworn at DROD.

I'm sorry. D:
05-13-2007 at 09:03 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Abuse of Light and Tiles to produce-- (+1)  
Banjooie wrote:
I'm trying to live in this world where somebody plays larrymurk's holds, and Doom's, and Stefan's, and tells me that the Tar Mother's Den is the first time they've sworn at DROD.
He said "don't normally", you silly fungi.

05-13-2007 at 09:06 PM
Yellow_Mage
Rank Points: 267
Heheh. It's really that the Briar came from nowhere... it was like some horror movie. I had sweat patches under my arms.

05-13-2007 at 09:58 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Tar Mother's Den is my favorite room, I didn't think it was that hard.
05-14-2007 at 01:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
Banjooie wrote:

It really wasn't that hard, honestly. IF you already know what all the tarstuffs are like when you play through it.

You don't want to try it BEFORE encountering gel in TCB though. Thats a bad thing. Its not a good first place to play with gel at all.

Actually, instead of making this optional, I'd say you should expand the den with a few earlier rooms that get people in the right frame of mind (frustrated and angry thinking about the right things, y'know?). With them already wanting to hurt you prepared, the room should go much more smoothly.

05-14-2007 at 03:07 AM
Banjooie
Actually, it's funny because you hit upon the problem I am coming into--I am producing a variety of concepts I would like to dig more into, and eventually I end up making every level spin off into further sub-levels, each of which may have many rooms.

Like, at some point here we're going to hit an event horizon.
05-14-2007 at 08:46 AM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
Really enjoyed this hold. Keep up the good work.
Erm, that's it really.

[Last edited by Jacob at 05-14-2007 05:36 PM]
05-14-2007 at 05:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
BDR
Rank Points: 106
Humph, I'm stuck on the Tar Mother's Den. But I like the concept. I just can't figure out how the heck to take all 3 tar mothers out before they open up that giant door and let the briar eat me. D:

But then, I'm sure there's some form of trickery in which I am lead to false assumptions. And considering that comment about this not being the best place to start with gel, there's a good chance of that.
05-22-2007 at 05:16 PM
Banjooie
Beef Row: I need to thieve something from you, as I have lost the hold I sent you. D:

BDR: Gel only expands anything it touches. This is critical to the entire room.
05-22-2007 at 05:53 PM
BDR
Oh ho, but that is a mighty good trick you have there. Though it's not quite as mechanically easy to divine as, say, backswiping in certain rooms (or just a certain room, perhaps) of a certain hold with lots of eyes in dangerous groups.
05-23-2007 at 07:20 AM
Banjooie
It's going to be optional from here on out--now that I get to remake like two levels, well.
05-23-2007 at 08:24 AM
BDR
Well, it's really not that bad: mostly it's all about the immediacy of your actions. In the classic deadly roach/eye rooms, picking the wrong choice either kills you or puts you in zugzwang very obviously and quickly. Here, you only see that you made some kind of blunder after 29 moves, and it's not like most people are going to take the time to measure moves and figure out what they do and don't have time for. But of course it's going to be optional anyhow so this is moot, and I have other nits to pick.

2. IIRC the entrance text for the Tar Mother's Den is "Entrance 9" or some such hogwash. You probably already are aware of this problem and plan to fix it in postproduction, but just in case you aren't I figure it can't hurt to increase awareness.

3. Underneath the Island 2N, when I move northwest a platform near the top drops (which I'm sure is supposed to happen) and the game donks at me (which is probably not supposed to happen). I am running only 3.0.0, though; and it doesn't bother me a whole lot as long as TCB doesn't crash or go crazy on me. EDIT: Actually, now it seems like every time I undo in this room it donks at me. Odd.

[Last edited by BDR at 05-24-2007 04:31 AM]
05-23-2007 at 10:26 AM
Banjooie
Re: 1:

re 2:

...actually, there shouldn't be entrance text at all. Argh. Will fix!
05-23-2007 at 11:09 AM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
I just played through this and mastered it (downloaded from top of thread on 5/25).

Really good stuff here. My favorite room is the Tar Mother's Den (awesome!), with the room with the briars and the clone a close second. But there's a lot to like here.

Didn't find any problems.

Waiting for the final version, mostly patiently.

Josh

05-25-2007 at 07:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
Rank Points: 355
I seriously can't see why people don't like the tar mother's den. Not onlz is it quite easy (I needed less than 1 minute and 5 tries) but I also absolutely loved the feeling I got when that briar appeared out of nowhere.

I don't like the scroll though... :)
05-28-2007 at 10:58 AM
Banjooie
I actually put that scroll there because A: it only shows up you're doing the room the second time for some reason, and B: Maybe you don't know exactly why the briars are kicking your ass.
05-29-2007 at 12:41 AM
Dex Stewart
Rank Points: 355
Mini-bump for encouragement...

I just mastered this and IT'S FRACKIN' FANTASTIC!!! :w00t

I can't wait to get my hands on the finished hold.
06-16-2007 at 11:01 AM
Banjooie
I am very vaguely doing progress on this I swear

It's just depressing that I lost one of my awesomest rooms to my own stupidity.

:(
06-16-2007 at 09:15 PM
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Abuse of Light and Tiles to produce-- (Yet more of a hold)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com