Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Whither the contest compilations? (We're missing some...)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
IP: Logged
icon Whither the contest compilations? (+1)  
So, we've had some contests in the past several months. I'm pretty sure we've had some, anyway. I'm also reasonably sure that some of these involved hold architecture. And I was under the impression that these contests would have a Compilation of entries on the Holds board, as is customary for such contests.
However, I don't see these:
Holds Al Dente - Done!
Beauty over Brains!
Technology
The Labyrinth of Mellenfral
Death to Death! - the unfinished effort
Holds Al Dente 2 - the unfinished effort
Limited Resources - the unfinished effort

[Last edited by Jatopian at 05-13-2012 12:08 AM]
03-18-2007 at 10:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
icon Re: Whither the contest compilations? (0)  
Death to Death is also missing, and this is my fault.

I'm still working on it, occasionally.

03-18-2007 at 10:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Yeah, I was working on the LoM compilation, but my loss of all my hold data got rid of it. I think I'll start it up again.
03-18-2007 at 11:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Chaco wrote:
Death to Death is also missing, and this is my fault.

I'm still working on it, occasionally.
Ezlo wrote:
Yeah, I was working on the LoM compilation, but my loss of all my hold data got rid of it. I think I'll start it up again.
:whip
I did some searching, and apparently Mattcrampy is responsible for the (lack of) Lunchbox Special (Holds Al Dente), there never was a Beauty over Brains compilation planned, and Chaco was also supposed to do the Technology Faire.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 03-19-2007 12:32 AM : :whip > :)]
03-19-2007 at 12:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Actually, to be honest, it's mostly story that's holding the product back right now.

I mean, yeah, sure, I could just throw twenty staircases into a hold, do some gnarly stuff with blue doors, and call it a hold, but it desires in-game explanation.

Which means about ten rooms of NPCs telling you why you aren't allowed to kill anything and why Gorby is dead.

03-19-2007 at 12:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: Whither the contest compilations? (+1)  
I generally assume we should blame any given compilation related problem on Chaco.

Like, if Jon Bon Jovi's latest compilation CD is late? Chaco.

If I can't compile my program? Chaco.

See? This plan has no flaw.
03-19-2007 at 06:42 AM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Banjooie wrote:

See? This plan has no flaw.

And if it did, it would be Chaco's fault?

Josh

03-19-2007 at 03:07 PM
Banjooie
No. Unless there were a compilation of my plans somewhere, of course.
03-19-2007 at 05:17 PM
jbluestein
I heard that there was supposed to be one, but it was never released.

03-19-2007 at 06:07 PM
Banjooie
Damn you, Chaco!
03-19-2007 at 06:25 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
Whuzzuh? You mean, if I'm angry because someone pushed me on the ground, it's Chaco's fault? O_o

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

03-19-2007 at 08:58 PM
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
Banjooie wrote:
I generally assume we should blame any given compilation related problem on Chaco.

03-19-2007 at 09:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
Whuzzuh? You mean, if I'm angry because someone pushed me on the ground, it's Chaco's fault? O_o
Only if it's a compilation push.
03-20-2007 at 02:32 AM
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
Sorry to bring this suddenly back on topic ;)

I'm uncertain of correct ettiquete here, so apologies if I am out of line. I would prefer it if my contest contributions were not used in a Compilation. I may re-use some of the rooms in future Holds, which would be released (I hope) onto the Holds board. I am slow at making puzzles and it seems a shame to waste some of the (admittedly not very clever) ideas I put into the competitions.

03-20-2007 at 12:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Elfstone wrote:
Sorry to bring this suddenly back on topic ;)

I'm uncertain of correct ettiquete here, so apologies if I am out of line. I would prefer it if my contest contributions were not used in a Compilation. I may re-use some of the rooms in future Holds, which would be released (I hope) onto the Holds board. I am slow at making puzzles and it seems a shame to waste some of the (admittedly not very clever) ideas I put into the competitions.
This brings up another issue: Should we require that entries be put in the compilation?
I, for one, like my compilations comprehensive. And if a room is so terrible as to not want to inflict it on players twice, should the architect be releasing it at all?

03-21-2007 at 12:36 AM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
I tried to compile a list of things that were Chaco's fault, but failed. It was Chaco's fault.

03-21-2007 at 05:22 PM
jbluestein
Jatopian wrote:
This brings up another issue: Should we require that entries be put in the compilation?
I, for one, like my compilations comprehensive. And if a room is so terrible as to not want to inflict it on players twice, should the architect be releasing it at all?

I would prefer a comprehensive compilation myself.

However, I'm concerned about the second half of your question. You seem to be suggesting (if I'm reading you correctly, and I may not be) that people who submit contest entries shouldn't submit bad contest entries. While this is certainly true on one level (in that everyone is trying to submit the best entry possible), I wouldn't really like to see this espoused as any sort of policy or even guideline.

Josh

03-21-2007 at 07:03 PM
Banjooie
Well, we all know that Elfstone isn't making terrible rooms at all, but I imagine the sentiment here is 'Wait, are you making rooms you wouldn't want players to see twice? What is this?'
03-21-2007 at 07:39 PM
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
Banjooie wrote:
Well, we all know that Elfstone isn't making terrible rooms at all, but I imagine the sentiment here is 'Wait, are you making rooms you wouldn't want players to see twice? What is this?'

Thank you . . . I think . . . but I wasn't saying or suggesting that I wasn't wanting players to see any rooms twice; rather that there are some rooms in my Contest submissions that I might use twice . . ummm, I think I'm confused :~(

03-21-2007 at 07:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
icon Compilation of Things That Are Chaco's Fault (+3)  
Sheesh, do I have to do everything for you guys? If it's to be done right, I end up being the only one who can do it right.

Things that are My Fault

This is my fault.

This is my fault.

This is my fault.

This is my fault.

This is my fault.

This is my fault.

This is my fault.

This is my fault.

This is my fault.

This is my fault.

03-21-2007 at 09:15 PM
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
Choose Chaco: Not faultless, but flawlessly consistont!

[Last edited by Znirk at 03-21-2007 09:18 PM]
03-21-2007 at 09:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
icon Re: Compilation of Things That Are Chaco's Fault (0)  
Chaco wrote:
Sheesh, do I have to do everything for you guys? If it's to be done right, I end up being the only one who can do it right.

Things that are My Fault

At least here you have a fine compilation of the things that are your fault?
03-21-2007 at 09:30 PM
Jatopian
icon Re: Compilation of Things That Are Chaco's Fault (0)  
Banjooie wrote:
Chaco wrote:

Things that are My Fault

At least here you have a fine compilation of the things that are your fault?
Eureka! He's a masochist!
:whip

03-22-2007 at 02:20 AM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
Gah!
You made me open all those links at the same time!
My computer froze and I had to reboot!
Chaco strikes again!
Note: It was probably Microsoft's fault that my computer crashed, but Chaco was the one who caused me to press the three-fingered salute (Alt-Control-Delete)!
03-22-2007 at 07:25 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
If having over 10 tabs freezes your PC... you ought to think about getting some more RAM dude.
03-22-2007 at 07:30 AM
Someone Else
I was doing other stuff at the same time...
03-22-2007 at 09:59 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
For those wondering about the Holds al Dente compilation, Kevin_P86 has stepped up and volunteered to compile this, so don't be worried if he PMs you! He's legit!

He'll also be running testing, at some point. Some of the al Dente entries weren't masterable, and others probably shouldn't be scorable, and we want to get those sorted out.

Kevin tells me it's coming along nicely.

04-05-2007 at 07:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
Mattcrampy wrote:
Kevin tells me it's coming along nicely.
Indeed it is coming along nicely.

I should mention that now is an excellent time to send me any fixed / improved versions. So far, I have the following fixed entries:

http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=12597&page=0#144356 (Beethro Budkin stars in...)
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=12469&page=6#145251 (A decision of no choice)
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=12469&page=6#145270 (Hold Al Dente Jeff_Ray)
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=12469&page=7#145841 (Hold of the Hour)
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=12469&page=7#157516 (Level 20061022)

So if there are any others (or a newer version of one of these), either PM me a link from which I can download it, or PM me and I will send you an e-mail address to which you can send it.

04-05-2007 at 06:53 PM
Jatopian
Bumping this. I've updated the first post. There's also no published compilation for the recent contest, though I expect Someone Else plans to make one, seeing as he presented the entries in compilation form originally.

Later I may go through the Master List of Contests and see what others are missing compilations, though it would help if we could get that up to date. Le sigh.

05-13-2012 at 12:14 AM
Someone Else
Yeah, I'm going to go through it and readd the victory texts (sorry!) and remove the voting stuff. I'll probably manipulate the hub level a bunch as well.
05-14-2012 at 02:50 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Whither the contest compilations? (We're missing some...)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com