Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Smitemastery 101 (2006 Summer/Fall Smitemaster's Selection)
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.3/10 (84 votes)
σ 1.57
Author Name:Jacob Grinfeld
Submitted By:Jacob
Hold Name:Smitemastery 101
Theme:2006 Summer/Fall Smitemaster's Selection
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:8
Number of Rooms:92
Number of Monsters:1619
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:12 (+12 / -0)
Poster Message
Rabscuttle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2460
IP: Logged
icon Re: Smitemastery 101 (+1)  
There wasn't one in KDD2/The Choice, but I think KDD2 should have had "End of the Game" in it.

Change it so that this is so please.
02-27-2007 at 12:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Smitemastery 101 (0)  
Rabscuttle wrote:
There wasn't one in KDD2/The Choice, but I think KDD2 should have had "End of the Game" in it.

Change it so that this is so please.
Oh yeah! Seconded.

02-27-2007 at 12:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NekoIncardine
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 127
I'm trying to figure out where the second secret (having found 2N2W) in "Invasion" is... I must say I found the song so grating that I was glad to get to stab the guy.

02-27-2007 at 09:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
schep
Rank Points: 864
NekoIncardine, a hint, if you're still stumped:
Click here to view the secret text

02-28-2007 at 12:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
Training Grounds 1n2w has got the wrong person speaking in it.

02-28-2007 at 06:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
That's weird, I swear I mentioned that in beta and that it was fixed in the next version.
02-28-2007 at 02:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Just mastered this hold. The last room is nice. :D

Voted 6 for difficulty. I still haven't finished the extra level. It's hard. :?

03-03-2007 at 08:03 PM
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
Ummm, can anyone tell me how to get to the Bonus Level (L8 I presume)? I have completed 7 Levels and conquered all the secret rooms and been given the "well done you finished the Hold" page, but no L8. :~(

03-03-2007 at 11:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
Elfstone wrote:
Ummm, can anyone tell me how to get to the Bonus Level (L8 I presume)? I have completed 7 Levels and conquered all the secret rooms and been given the "well done you finished the Hold" page, but no L8. :~(
Did you find the master wall? The stairs to this secret level are behind it.

Hint:

:)

03-03-2007 at 11:22 PM
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
Thanks Kevin - I had completely forgotten about that. :?

03-03-2007 at 11:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3741
Finally, I'm able to post on the forum again! The computer system at the hospital I'm working at has strange restrictions on what sites I can access and what I can do.

Glad to hear people are liking this hold. A number of comments:

I know bits of this hold are tough, but I hoped I'd used a decent enough learning curve to sort that out. Maybe not. I'd also wanted to make this hold fun and worth playing for non-beginners too. It's surprisingly hard to make good quality, original and still easy rooms.

I don't see why this hold's existence should deter people (e.g. Patrick) from making beginner level holds/tutorials; the more the better. It can only help to make drod more accessible. On the other hand, I don't know if there's a need for totally comprehensive hold (all monsters and elements fully explained) - back in my day we managed without one. On the *other* hand a hold that explicitly teaches about wraithwing and snake movement would be invaluable (I think Rabscuttle's in the process of doing the latter). I still am unable to solve some of Tim's and Larrymurk's rooms based on serpent movement!

About stealing/copying rooms - is it plagiarism if you're borrowing from your own work? And besides, the hold I think you're referring to (orthogonal square tricks used in Bugged?) was made after I'd made the room in Smitemastery 101 and is not a released hold anyway. No matter.

I wasn't aware it was possible to kill the instructor in the last room - I had no part in that room's creation. However, it should be possible to kill him elsewhere.

03-03-2007 at 11:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Jacob wrote:
Finally, I'm able to post on the forum again! The computer system at the hospital I'm working at has strange restrictions on what sites I can access and what I can do.
Ohhh that's one thing I can *very much* relate to... :D (thank $DEITY for ntlmaps, ssh and SOCKS...)

Welcome back! ;)

Wait - does that mean you don't have Teh Internets at home? :w00t

np: Autechre - Bronchusevenmx24 (Garbage)

[Last edited by Briareos at 03-04-2007 12:21 AM]
03-04-2007 at 12:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
tokyokid
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 453
Whew! Finally finished all the rooms! (Besides secret level).

After taking a break for about a week during the Tar and Mud level, I resumed playing a couple of days ago. At first I though the level was a nightmere, but after coming back to it, I realized what an ingenious level it was. This level had to be the most frustraiting and funest level in the hold. My other favorite level was the Rock Golem and the Seep level.

Heh, this is the first SmS that I've conqured. The hold wasn't too hard, but not too easy. I gave it a 9 with 4 brains. Keep the great work coming! :D
03-06-2007 at 09:36 PM
NeonElephant
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 25
icon Re: Smitemastery 101 (+2)  
I finished this hold (except for the challenge level, which I've only done some bits of) the other night. The main hold had a nice collection of rooms ranging from easy to moderately-challenging, and in general stayed away from the sort of "oh, you completed 90% of the room but needed to keep something else alive five minutes ago" puzzles that can lead to lots of premature hair loss.

I'd opine that the goblin level could perhaps have used a little more hand-holding at the start (compare with the mud and tar level with the initial practice room), but I'm not sure exactly how one would go about doing so. I suppose by that point in the hold the hand-holding would have been thematically out of place anyhow, and in any event that level did have nice examples of basic goblin puzzle motifs.

The increase in difficulty as the hold progressed seemed fairly steady, and the transition from pedagogy to training wheels to straight-up puzzles was smooth. All in all, a nice hold, even for a moderately seasoned dungeon exterminator :-)
03-08-2007 at 02:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
NeonElephant wrote:
All in all, a nice hold, even for a moderately seasoned dungeon exterminator :-)
You should lay off those seasonings; they can attract roaches. And serpents, and rock golems, and tarstuff, and goblins... Good thing you know how to deal with them.

03-09-2007 at 12:57 AM
NeonElephant
Rank Points: 25
Jatopian wrote:
NeonElephant wrote:
All in all, a nice hold, even for a moderately seasoned dungeon exterminator :-)
You should lay off those seasonings; they can attract roaches. And serpents, and rock golems, and tarstuff, and goblins... Good thing you know how to deal with them.
It's not the seasonings that bother me, it's the beatings with what rock golems use for a meat tenderizer :-)
03-09-2007 at 02:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Sillyman
Rank Points: 339
In my opinion, they should have made the song end with "Really Big Sword (TM)", not just "Sword".

03-11-2007 at 09:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Beef Row
Rank Points: 471
I really liked this hold... I'm currently working through the challenges level... and I have to say, 1E is beautifully evil. CLASSIC Jacob right there. Well played, very well played.

I do hope you're in any branch of medicine other than psychology, or I fear for your patients.

03-23-2007 at 04:40 AM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Jacob wrote:
About stealing/copying rooms - is it plagiarism if you're borrowing from your own work? And besides, the hold I think you're referring to (orthogonal square tricks used in Bugged?) was made after I'd made the room in Smitemastery 101 and is not a released hold anyway. No matter.
A bit late reply:

I suppose you can do it. But it doesn't make re-used rooms any more original or interesting to play through 'again'. Especially if they don't contain any new twists, like this particular room, which is just way too close to the original in how it plays. I'm not saying that similar concepts should never be used again. But please, add some variety if you do.

The order has little to do with anything. Let's say you made them the other way round: That just shows a lack of ideas with the contest hold.

This whole thing, by the way, is really exaggerating it. I don't remember if there were any other rooms that felt overly familiar, but if there were, the number was very small. I just wanted to say that I'm not satisfied with near-identical rooms, even if they were used in unpublished rooms before (which may change with compilations)
03-26-2007 at 08:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
malkav11
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 59

04-09-2007 at 07:08 AM
DGM
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 202
Regarding the second seceret room in Invasion:

[Last edited by DGM at 04-09-2007 07:40 AM]
04-09-2007 at 07:39 AM
Devante
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 1
Where is the download folder for this file? I simply cannot find the download link anywhere. Do I have to go to another thread to download it, or a download area on the main site itself? Everyone else seemed to find it quite easily.
09-01-2007 at 09:34 AM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
I would advise you to took a look at the Smitemaster's Selection FAQ.
09-01-2007 at 09:38 AM
Devante
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 1
Never mind, I can't play it.
09-01-2007 at 09:45 AM
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
icon Re: Smitemastery 101 (+2)  
I bought this quite recently, to complete my collection of SmS's.

And I have to say that I enjoyed it. It's a worthy successor to JtRH. It has the advantage of being challenging without being too hard. Difficult enough that you have to think but not too difficult that you have to look at the hints board more than once or twice. I also liked the explicit mention that there were 2 secret rooms per level, that made it a bit more interesting looking for secret rooms as I went along rather than at the end when I'd finished.

Very enjoyable hold and worth the purchase price. 10 for fun, 6 brains.

05-25-2008 at 04:19 PM
Connoraustin
Rank Points: 15
icon Re: Smitemastery 101 (-1)  
Could you PM me with this hold please

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

Want try good hold...

01-23-2009 at 05:11 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: Smitemastery 101 (-1)  
Connoraustin wrote:
Want try good hold...
How about paying for it, then? :angry :thumbsdown

(Also, only a moron would ask for a pirate copy on a game's official forum...)

np: Future Sound Of London - Absent With Concept (From The Archives Vol. 4)

01-23-2009 at 05:28 PM
Connoraustin
Rank Points: 15
Sorry, I didn't realise that it was an official hold.

Forget it...

01-23-2009 at 06:21 PM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Don't worry!

These Smitemasters Selections are very worth your money, though. And this one is quite easy, if you like easy holds.
01-23-2009 at 07:20 PM
martz
Rank Points: 414
coppro wrote:
What are the voice credits?

Was this answered somewhere? I too would be interested in seeing the voice credits.

Progress - Gavin G
04-21-2009 at 03:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Smitemastery 101 (2006 Summer/Fall Smitemaster's Selection)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com