Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Ravenous (Serpents, Rattlesnakes)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.9/10 (18 votes)
σ 1.05
Author Name:Tom
Submitted By:tokyokid
Hold Name:Ravenous
Theme:Serpents, Rattlesnakes
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:8
Number of Rooms:95
Number of Monsters:1038
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:3 (+3 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Ravenous.hold (51 KB)
Downloaded 1657 times.
License: Other
icon Ravenous  
Ravenous is an 8 level hold with 95 rooms with puzzles themed by serpents and rattlesnakes, which has been an on-going project since October 2006. As you may have guessed, the first level in Ravenous was built during the time Count Theme's Dungeon was in beta testing.

This is my best hold yet, better puzzles than Count Theme's Dungeon, no upredictable scripting, and no 'fillers'. Ravenous is also not huge, with an abundance of levels! No-it is a 95 room hold with a reasonable number of levels. I am proud of how I have constructed this hold to not be overly-difficult, built for a less experienced player, and to also make it a fun experience!

So get ready to dive down into Ravenous, but just come back alive. I hope you enjoy the levels of Ravenous!

A HUGE thanks to testers: bdwing, jjohn7418, Kevin_P86, Syntax, techant, Pilchard VIII, Hikari, and especially these guys jbluestein and Stephen4Louise! You guys have been a huge help! I am greatly in debt!

-Tom (tokyokid).
01-31-2007 at 08:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 392
icon Re: Ravenous (+1)  
Omly 38 downloads so far? Seriously, if you haven't downloaded this hold yet, do it now. It is a great hold with some really neat rooms, and is by far one of the best pieces of work by tokyokid (It's probably one of the best pieces of work full stop!) So download and play it now, I promise you won't be disappointed.

02-01-2007 at 03:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sergenth
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 296
Intricate, fun, and it looks great too! After the first three rooms, the other rooms contain a wide variety of 3-5 brain challenges. Several rooms make me want to compete for high scores, and that's unusual for my Drod-playing experience.
02-01-2007 at 10:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: Ravenous (0)  
Working my way through it, slowly. On the plus side: quite pleased by the lack of scripting. And it's nicely thematic--snakes, snakes, and more snakes; but not repetitive. Definitely kudos on that count.

I perhaps might question the architect's decision to go through the hold himself first, thereby claiming the high score on e.g. this room. But hey.
02-02-2007 at 05:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
martz
Rank Points: 414
Tahnan wrote:
I perhaps might question the architect's decision to go through the hold himself first, thereby claiming the high score on e.g. this room. But hey.

Heh, not to worry, I've taken that 1st place now myself ;)

and I fully expect to lose it once the experts play this hold

Progress - Gavin G
02-02-2007 at 02:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
tokyokid
Rank Points: 453
Yeah, my score was beaten by at least 100 moves... :-O

Well, I'm glad that you all enjoy it. I lost quite an audience from Count Theme's, but I hope I can win you back with this success. :)
02-02-2007 at 09:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
fratropea
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 87
Great Hold!!! :thumbsup
I have arrived at snakes in a plane and I enjoyed very much!
Thank you, Tokyokid!
Ciao
02-02-2007 at 11:30 PM
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
I like this hold. Definitely tokyokid's best effort so far. Easy, but fun, with heaps of variety. As advertised, no annoying scripting or utterly trivial filler rooms. Apart from a handful of somewhat pointless rooms, I enjoyed every room. My only gripe is that some rooms could have used more checkpoints, but nothing really painful in that respect either. All in all, very good hold.

02-03-2007 at 02:19 PM
tokyokid
Great! Excellent! I never would have dreamed that you guys would like the hold so much! It looks like I have a skill for creating fun, interesting, and easy rooms. I also learned from my mistakes from Count Theme’s Dungeon. I learned not to add any filler rooms, no abusive scripting, and stuff like that.

And my next hold should probably released in TCB, and I hope that I will be able to make a better hold than Ravenous with all the new elements. And right now, I am making a hold for my enjoyment. I just can't escape making holds! Even though I said I would take a break from Architecturing, but I can't resist! It probably won't be released, but I could post it over on the Architecture board, so others can enjoy it.

Thanks for the positive comments, and thanks for playing!

[Last edited by tokyokid at 02-03-2007 02:43 PM]
02-03-2007 at 02:40 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
tokyokid wrote:
Great! Excellent! I never would have dreamed that you guys would like the hold so much! It looks like I have a skill for creating fun, interesting, and easy rooms. I also learned from my mistakes from Count Theme’s Dungeon. I learned not to add any filler rooms, no abusive scripting, and stuff like that.

Well, speaking as someone who playtested this hold and watched as it evolved, I think it's a clear improvement on all fronts.

I give it an 8 with 4 brains of difficulty.

Josh

02-03-2007 at 02:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Why is Rage of the Serpents 4N marked as unhighscorable? It's not a difficult room but it's not a 1-move room, nor trivial to complete, and it's certainly not a room where it's obvious how to get the top score.

02-04-2007 at 03:26 PM
tokyokid
eytanz wrote:
Why is Rage of the Serpents 4N marked as unhighscorable? It's not a difficult room but it's not a 1-move room, nor trivial to complete, and it's certainly not a room where it's obvious how to get the top score.
Yeah, I know, I'm sorry. I accidentally marked it when going through the non-high scoring rooms.
02-04-2007 at 03:31 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Ah, ok. That's unfortunate, but reasonable.

02-04-2007 at 06:03 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Very, VERY nice hold tokyokid! :D Lots of fun snake puzzles, it never got tedious, and it's themed quite nicely. Although I don't get why someone seemed to be living there.

5 brains, 9 fun! Can't wait for your next hold, or your first SmS! :D
02-05-2007 at 05:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
tokyokid
Ezlo wrote:
Very, VERY nice hold tokyokid! :D Lots of fun snake puzzles, it never got tedious, and it's themed quite nicely. Although I don't get why someone seemed to be living there.
Thanks, and too bad you missed out on testing. The person was a last minute addition to avoid un-wanted scripting.

5 brains, 9 fun! Can't wait for your next hold, or your first SmS! :D
I don't think I'm up for a SmS :P (I still need one more vote anyway), but you'll definitely see another hold from me in TCB.

02-05-2007 at 09:04 PM
Juanita
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 20
Great hold!!
02-05-2007 at 11:21 PM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
Fine job.

That's a lot of dungeon you got there!
02-10-2007 at 07:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Danteslives
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 48
I realize this is a fairly outdated hold, but i had to stop by and say this is my favorite user made hold EVER! THanks tokyokid.
08-06-2007 at 03:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Hey--

Did some change in scripting break "Ravenous2: 1 South"? Michthro's demo (and my own, and probably many of the other top ones) don't work, and are kind of nonsensical to watch.
06-02-2010 at 08:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Ravenous (Serpents, Rattlesnakes) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com