Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Twenty-Three Rooms (Puzzles)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.9/10 (15 votes)
σ 2.00
Author Name:boyblue
Submitted By:BoyBlue
Hold Name:Twenty-Three Rooms
Theme:Puzzles
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:2
Number of Rooms:34
Number of Monsters:425
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:2 (+2 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Twenty-Three Rooms.hold (9.3 KB)
Downloaded 1447 times.
License: Other
icon Twenty-Three Rooms  
This is an austere two-level hold, with puzzles and a few tactical challenges.
01-28-2007 at 09:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
larrymurk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1908
icon Re: Twenty-Three Rooms (0)  
Since Spare Rooms I know it's a happy day when BoyBlue publishes a hold.

This hold is just what I like-- puzzles, puzzles, puzzles. As usual, the puzzles tend to focus on a trick but there isn't a whole bunch of junk thrown in to distract the player. I especially thought the final secret room was well done.

Hats off to Mr. Blue :sombrero
02-04-2007 at 12:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Remlin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 181
icon Re: Twenty-Three Rooms (0)  
BoyBlue releases a new hold and none of you people think to email me to let me know?! There ought to be some sort of RSS feed set up for new holds.

Very good hold, and like all BoyBlues, lots of highly original rooms. The emphasis is always on a good puzzle instead of just monster slaying - each room has exactly enough to get the puzzle across, and no more.

I hope this being the last hold in the "rooms" series doesn't mean you're giving up architecting, BoyBlue?
02-22-2007 at 08:08 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
icon Re: Twenty-Three Rooms (+1)  
Yeah haven't completed this hold yet (in fact, possibly none in the trilogy), but this is some excellent work! Thoroughly enjoyable. I'll vote when I've finished it but let it be said - this is genius at work :) Thanks!
03-01-2007 at 06:44 PM
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
icon Re: Twenty-Three Rooms (+1)  
Just came across this hold, after checking out Boyblue's other work. I quite liked. It's got some tricky rooms, but the difficulty level's about right, I only needed the H&S board on a couple of them. None of the puzzles are unfun either, though the secret rooms were a little evil. Mastered.

Well worth playing. Gets a 9/10 and 6.5 brains from me.

[Last edited by calamarain at 04-22-2008 05:12 AM]
04-22-2008 at 04:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
martz
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 414
icon Re: Twenty-Three Rooms (+3)  
This is an excellent pure-puzzle hold from BoyBlue - I've only played one other BoyBlue hold but I remember it being a similar quality to this.

There's no story here, just puzzles and simple level layouts (besides from a nice 4-room multi-puzzle on the 2nd level). Some of the rooms are quite simple, some are not, in fact I'd go as far to say that some of the puzzles are LarryMurkesque (which I would consider high-praise indeed).

If you like Drod purely for great puzzles then I would highly-recommend this hold, but I would have to knock the fun rating down a little because I personally like a bit of story & interest in holds - nothing against this, just my personal preference.

Difficulty: 6.5
Fun: 7

Progress - Gavin G
06-09-2014 at 01:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Twenty-Three Rooms (Puzzles) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com