Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : The Dungeon (Partial editor for testing)
<<891011
Page 12 of 12
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
DGM
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 202
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Dungeon (Partial editor for testing) (0)  
As far as design goes, I know more or less exactly what I want to do for the initial release (except for a few details of the interface). As for the actual coding, I'm still where I said I was a week ago. Which means: I have TGB, but I still haven't found the time to dive in and learn it.

That will change shortly, though... I've been helping my mother with her business, but she's about to take off for a few months for arts and crafts shows and I'll be a lot less busy. So I should be able to get moving again this week.

05-28-2007 at 10:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
vinheim
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 300
icon Re: The Dungeon (Partial editor for testing) (+1)  
its nice to see a fellow gamemaker user, (the icon, loading bar and the popup messages) this is probably the best game made with gamemaker, heck it is the best game made with gamemaker, could i see the source code for the battling, i played the game you cloned this off ages ago and wanted to make a gamemaker clone but didnt know how to do battling
05-31-2007 at 03:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zonhin
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 99
It probably isn't the best. And if you actually read the thread, you'd know that it isn't going to be for gamemaker anymore.

Till time went and told me to say hello but wave goodbye

[Last edited by zonhin at 06-07-2007 01:09 AM]
06-06-2007 at 11:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
vinheim
i read the thread straight after posting, i was just saying the current version was made in gamemaker, and being a fan of these puzzle type games like drod aswell in my opinion its the best ive seen, better than any on the gmc, but thats just my opinion
06-07-2007 at 03:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zonhin
Sorry, I was rude. I didn't get enough sleep that night. No harm intended.

06-07-2007 at 03:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sillyman
Rank Points: 339
Yeah, some of those games made by Helix Games, Inc. might be better than this version.

06-07-2007 at 09:09 PM
DGM
icon Re: The Dungeon (Partial editor for testing) (+2)  
I'm not sure who's being sarcastic and who isn't. And I'm not entirely sure I want to know. :rolleyes

Okay, I've dabbled just a bit in TGB and my motivation for this project is slowly returning (I didn't realize how burnt out I was getting). But the big news is that I started teaching myself how to run a website and some forums today, so that I'll actually have some idea of what I'm doing when I start using said site to ask people for money instead of just storing files there.

So The Dungeon now has a real website instead of just some links to files and screenshots. There isn't much there yet (I'll add as I go), but there is a forum. Many, many thanks to Erik and company for letting me use theirs during my project's larval stage.

You can find the new site at: www.dungeon-games.com

Be sure to check out the "CG Humor" section while you're there.

06-08-2007 at 02:49 AM
DGM
vinheim wrote:
could i see the source code for the battling,

Giving out source code is not a habit I want to get into. But I'll be happy to describe the process.

At the moment I'm not using the concept of first strike the way TOTS does. Each side gets a hit in each round. That simplifies things a bit.

1) Compute how much damage each side does to the other per hit. Make sure the player can actually deal a positive amount of damage. Don't allow the fight if he can't (you risk an infinite loop if neither side can hurt the other.)

2) Divide each side's Life by the amount of damage it takes each time it gets hit. Round up. The lower of the two results is the number of rounds the fight will last.

If the monster can't deal positive damage to the player, just check how many rounds the monster will last and use that. Otherwise you'll get a divide-by-zero error when you check the player.

3) Once you know how many rounds the fight has to go, it's a simple matter to have the combatants trade blows until the appropriate number of hits have been dealt out. Then just check to see who's dead and proceed accordingly.

[Last edited by DGM at 06-08-2007 02:59 AM]
06-08-2007 at 02:54 AM
vinheim
oh i get it now, to make sure he can deal damage before i attack check if my attack is bigger than his defense or something like that, thanks
06-08-2007 at 08:28 AM
DGM
It's time I started using my own forums for something, so I'm starting a poll over at www.dungeon-games.com concerning how big the screen resolution should be. The thread is here: http://dungeon-games.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3

Come say "hi" and vote.

07-19-2007 at 07:23 AM
Blondbeard
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1486
(a gentle bump: )

Any news on this project?

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 11-11-2007 10:18 AM]
11-11-2007 at 10:17 AM
DGM
<sigh>
I had been hoping for a January release, but since that looks like it may not happen I may as well answer this.

At the moment, I'm not sure how to proceed. The gameplay I've worked on enough that I can almost code it in my sleep. Also I've figured out how to get the game to throw together a dungeon based entirely on text, sprite and sound files, which should, in theory, make creating an editor easy. Unfortunately, actually making an editor is proving to be almost impossible, because the file manipulation functions I need won't work as advertised.

I was planning to use Torque's built-in zip file support, but after trying for weeks to get help with it I was finally told that it didn't work as advertised and that I'd basically have to fix it myself. Which would require buying the (prohibitively) more expensive license to get access to Torque's source code, among other things. This drove me back to Game Maker, where I'm currently having trouble with an entirely different set of functions. Specifically, I can't get the bloody thing to delete files or directories as needed.

It's quite infuriating. I can see how to write an editor, but I can't actually make it work in either Torque or Game Maker because the functions I need just flat-out fail every time I try. I've managed to find alternate ways around similar issues in other areas, but this problem is proving to be intractable.

I'm not sure what to do about this. I'm not willing to throw money at yet another IDE.

01-03-2008 at 03:01 PM
zonhin
Maybe you could try asking? Go to a forum with a lot of programmers. (Maybe a Google search could help?) And ask how. don't be afraid to ask questions.

[Last edited by zonhin at 01-03-2008 05:38 PM]
01-03-2008 at 05:35 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Ah, that's terrible. Sounds extremely frustrating. :(

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 01-03-2008 07:05 PM]
01-03-2008 at 07:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
DGM
Okay, some good news. I'm past the problem I mentioned before and work shall proceed. However it will probably continue to proceed slowly, as I'm doing this on-and-off in my spare time.

Meanwhile, I've decided I need to actually be doing something with this website that I'm paying for. So I've started a blog. For those interested: http://dungeon-games.com/blog/

01-11-2008 at 07:14 AM
Zaratustra00
Rank Points: 107
Sorry for the ultra-necro, but the more I play Tactical Nexus the more I am reminded of this game, and it's not available in the website or archive.org... by any chance does anyone still have the files?
04-10-2021 at 04:39 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056

File: TheDungeonAlphaDemo8.zip (4.3 MB)
Downloaded 24 times.
License: Public Domain
Zaratustra00 wrote:
Sorry for the ultra-necro, but the more I play Tactical Nexus the more I am reminded of this game, and it's not available in the website or archive.org... by any chance does anyone still have the files?
I do have the original package for Alpha build 8.

Unfortunately, the files are not running properly for me. I tried on an older Windows 7 PC and the .exe crashes on startup. On a current Windows 10 PC, the app runs but no window appears on the screen (and the process runs at 100% CPU on one core).

I probably don't have the right level of Windows fu. Possibly some compatibility settings might get it to work.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 05-04-2021 09:32 PM]
05-04-2021 at 09:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: The Dungeon (Partial editor for testing) (+3)  
mrimer wrote:
Unfortunately, the files are not running properly for me.

I probably don't have the right level of Windows fu. Possibly some compatibility settings might get it to work.
Sometimes all you need is a little google-fu.

There are instructions here for running old GameMaker games. See the section titled "Making really old games work". The alpha runs on my end with this tool.
05-04-2021 at 10:44 PM
<<891011
Page 12 of 12
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : The Dungeon (Partial editor for testing)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com