Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Beethro Is Getting Home (A side quest, under the city.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.2/10 (18 votes)
σ 1.90
Author Name:Rasmus Björling
Submitted By:Rheb
Hold Name:Beethro Is Getting Home
Theme:A side quest, under the city.
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:6
Number of Rooms:37
Number of Monsters:2916
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:7 (+7 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Beethro Is Getting Home .hold (59.6 KB)
Downloaded 1669 times.
License: Other
icon Beethro Is Getting Home  
Here's my second hold.
It's not as big as TUC and it's a bit easier too.

Thanks to testers: Blondbeard, michthro and Alneyan. Also, thanks to Erik H, for letting me use his picture: BigSword as an image floor.

Enjoy!!!

11-04-2006 at 02:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: Beethro Is Getting Home (0)  
mutter mutter mutter tell me again why we shouldn't rate holds based on our utter inability to even get through the first room mutter mutter.
11-04-2006 at 05:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
Tahnan wrote:
mutter mutter mutter tell me again why we shouldn't rate holds based on our utter inability to even get through the first room mutter mutter.

Hmmmph! I'll second that!!
Elf. -_-

11-04-2006 at 06:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Elfstone wrote:
Tahnan wrote:
Hmmmph! I'll second that!!
Elf. -_-
Yay! I'm stuck in the second room... beat that... :D

np: Console - Hibernating (Mono)

11-04-2006 at 07:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
H&S are your friends ;)
11-04-2006 at 08:04 PM
Tahnan
It's the first room. It seemed a little early to rush to post to H&S. Still working on it. (But also muttering. Mutter mutter.)

[Edit: and, hey, look, I just got it on my first attempt. Not that I'm so sure what I just did...)]

[Last edited by Tahnan at 11-05-2006 07:29 AM]
11-05-2006 at 07:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
I just had to give this a couple of good karma points for the secret room I found on the first level. My goodness, that was amazing.

11-05-2006 at 08:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
I'll add (with the caveat that I've not conquered more than about seven rooms) that almost every room I've encountered so far has looked pretty much impossible from the start (in the sense of "why does my starting position involve being surrounded"). If it's satisfying to solve a room you knew would be hard, it's even more satisfying to solve a room you thought was impossible.
11-05-2006 at 09:25 PM
Syntax
Well, that was a lot of fun :)

I wondered upon solving a lot of these rooms, how on earth you even knew they were solveable! You're obviously a great architect and player.

The themes work very well from level to level, and those lynchpins rooms which were present were extremely well thought out (the multi-entrance rooms for example). Also, a lot of innovative ideas in there... can't remember seeing goblins and wws used in this many ways before :)

My only (minor) gripe would be some of the rooms actually relying on monster placement to a degree. The solution for "The Sewers" 3N for example works *most of the time*. Depending on the walking approach (which shouldn't actually make a difference), the roaches aren't always "in sync".

Overall, excellent hold with some unique ideas. I've rarely seen a design as daring as "The Goblin Mine" 1N. That must have taken *ages* to design... Finally, a great use of master walls. I'm actually going to go and complete the secret rooms now :)

7 brains
7.5 overall

[EDIT]

Wrong direction...

[Last edited by Syntax at 11-07-2006 11:34 AM]
11-05-2006 at 10:31 PM
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
Syntax wrote:
Well, that was a lot of fun :)

I wondered upon solving a lot of these rooms, how on earth you even knew they were solveable! You're obviously a great architect and player.

Syntax wrote:

My only (minor) gripe would be some of the rooms actually relying on monster placement to a degree. The solution for "The Sewers" 3N for example works *most of the time*. Depending on the walking approach (which shouldn't actually make a difference), the roaches aren't always "in sync".

Well, that’s weird. I never have any problems with that room, though I agree that some rooms are a bit random and that’s not so good.
-_-

11-06-2006 at 03:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rheb wrote:
Well, that’s weird. I never have any problems with that room, though I agree that some rooms are a bit random and that’s not so good.
-_-
Yeah, there were a few such rooms. Also, a few of the "Beethro + 1 and a wubba" type assault rooms were a case of trial and error to find just the right combination (though on paper they should all have been equivalent). Again, this shows you must have spent a serious amount of time on each room so I don't see it as a bad thing. I do realise some may lose heart after a while though as they have *technically* found the solution, but just not the right configuration.

It's a minor anyways...

[EDIT]

Grammar

[Last edited by Syntax at 11-06-2006 09:24 PM]
11-06-2006 at 09:23 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Well, so far I count myself fortunate for having been able to complete the first level. Rheb, quite an impressive amount of difficulty (although after similar experiences with The Underground Civilization I guess I shouldn't have been that surprised).

Ouch, though.

11-06-2006 at 09:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
icon Re: Beethro Is Getting Home (+1)  
Will wonders never cease? I was actually able to beat this hold! I've even found all of the secret rooms, although I only managed to solve the first one.

Quite a ride! I give it an 8 with 8.5 brains.

Very difficult, but a relatively small solution space...so trial and error do help. Goblin Mine 1S and 1S1W are a very impressive pair of rooms.

Two thumbs up!

11-15-2006 at 06:58 PM
jbluestein
Three in a row on the same topic. Probably bad etiquette or something...

Anyway, I have mastered the hold now. The secret rooms are actually not that hard if you can solve the required rooms.

But they are very satisfying.

11-15-2006 at 07:33 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Aaand mastered. :)

And it certainly took long enough for "only" 31 rooms... :D

I gave it 9 points and 7.5 brains.

np: Jah Wobble & Deep Space - They Were Planning Murder (Largely Live In Hartlepool And Manchester (Disc 1))

01-21-2007 at 10:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
iamyum
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 64
Seriously, my liberal use of H&S forum was the main reason that Beethro arrived home in 20 different pieces, dying 100+ times, and finally mastered the hold.

There was more frustration going through the rooms than satisfactions. My intense trial and errors made me feel many of the rooms are chores more than puzzles. But that's really just me. I know many people do like them.

The innocent city of Gronce is a nice thematic addition. Scripting is well done. It took me, however, more than 2 months to solve the first level, which is an eye-opening level for wraithwing and goblin manipulations. (most of the time I don't even know why the WW move the way they do)

Goblin mines 1S, 2S, 1S1W are fun, esp when 1S1W has multiple possible solutions. Overall, I like hold (more so after I mastered it). Please keep up!!!
03-13-2007 at 06:06 AM
martz
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 414
There are some really tough rooms here, and the first level might cause you to give up (although I think there are H&S topics for pretty much every room), but this is actually a decent hold - there are some similar puzzles to Rheb's previous hold (The Underground Civilisation) and also some nods towards Complex Complex (particularly the secret room on the first level.)

As mentioned above, a lot of the rooms seem impossible but just require you to find the right sequence of moves to survive and it can be quite satisfying when you find them yourself.

There is a bit of story here, although there are some spelling mistakes (I was particularly amused by the hold ending text talking about a "guilty confidence" :)) but that's acceptable for those who's first language is not English.

If you can get past the (potential) frustration of the first level there are some very good puzzles here.

Difficulty: 7.5
Fun: 7

Progress - Gavin G
06-10-2014 at 11:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Beethro Is Getting Home (A side quest, under the city.) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com