Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Beethro's Mission: Spiders (Themed Levels + Story)
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.9/10 (30 votes)
σ 1.80
Author Name:Dali
Submitted By:Dali
Hold Name:Beethro's Mission: Spiders
Theme:Themed Levels + Story
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:10
Number of Rooms:188
Number of Monsters:2078
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:6 (+6 / -0)
Poster Message
Doom
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3226
IP: Logged
icon Re: Beethro's Mission: Spiders (0)  
I did some testing on Priest's Hold long ago (only partial, though - didn't finish about half of the rooms, and it was eventually forgotten completely)

In any case, assuming that 1N3W hasn't changed since the version I have, it looks like it's indeed impossible. I don't see how to kill the guard either, even if everything else in the room is ignored. (I'd look at the room image feature, but it's not working. Is it just me...?)
09-21-2006 at 06:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dali
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 174
I think I'm the silliest guy in the world. :frusty
I thaught you were blocked on 2N1W... Sorry.

The room is impossible, I agree. There isn't enough Golems. Sorry, I'll fix the bugs mentionned this today.

[Last edited by Dali at 01-09-2007 08:09 PM]
09-22-2006 at 05:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
More golems won't help unless you remove the eastern most section of wall or extend the bottom chamber one more space.
09-22-2006 at 05:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
since you've updated the hold, I'd like to call your attention to this post: http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=11936&page=0#132565

really. it's easy to do and makes everything nicer.

09-22-2006 at 06:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dali
Rabscuttle wrote:
More golems won't help unless you remove the eastern most section of wall or extend the bottom chamber one more space.

That's what I did.
09-22-2006 at 06:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Dali wrote:
Rabscuttle wrote:

That's what I did.

Maybe I'm just dumb, but this room still doesn't look solvable to me.

I can kill the brain, but the guard keeps getting hung up on that wall.

09-22-2006 at 07:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
well, obviously Dali would actually test that the room is solvable after modifying it, right? so clearly it must be...

09-22-2006 at 07:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
silver wrote:
well, obviously Dali would actually test that the room is solvable after modifying it, right? so clearly it must be...

I would like to think so, yes. I'm perfectly willing to admit that it may just be my own fault. Which doesn't change the fact that I can't solve it...

09-22-2006 at 07:26 PM
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
And now it's my turn to agree with jbluestein. Nothing's really changed. There's no need for the trapdoor - there are enough golems to kill the brain and get the guard in the SE corner. But the guard still won't go around that corner. All that's needed is to remove the wall at (24,22). Also, the trapdoor might as well be made a wall again.
09-22-2006 at 08:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dali
In fact it was unsolvable. I don't know I why I didn't tested the room I made the changes. I was propably in hurry yesterday.

The room is fixed now.
09-23-2006 at 09:44 AM
silver
great! it's all doable, though when you marked un-high-scorable rooms, you missed two:

Third Level: 2N 4W
Fifth Level: 5N 2E is impossible due to placement of the brain

I 1-move-demod the former, but the latter just will always be impossible (and very probably purposefully so, and that's just fine, since it's optional and the goal is to move through it rather than do it, as long as you mark it un-high-scorable)

thanks for the conscientious updates.

09-23-2006 at 05:45 PM
Dali
Third Level 2N 4W was already marked.

For Fifth Level 5N 2E, I prefere mark it un-highscorable room instead of making too complicated stuff in the room to kill that brain.

Anyway, thanks Silver.
09-24-2006 at 10:47 AM
bandit1200
Rank Points: 290
Excellent hold! I still have a 3 secrets and the bonus level to complete but this hold has really kept me occupied over the last few days. I thought it was going to be too difficult for me at first but it held my interest enough to keep me hacking away at it.

Good one, Dali. :thumbsup
09-28-2006 at 12:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dali
Hey, I'd like to know what is the "1.35" below the rating bar.
It must be a new stuff.
09-29-2006 at 07:39 PM
jbluestein
Dali wrote:
Hey, I'd like to know what is the "1.35" below the rating bar.
It must be a new stuff.

It's the standard deviation.

http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=12176

09-29-2006 at 07:49 PM
bandit1200
can the bonus level only be played in the editor?

10-01-2006 at 10:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bandit1200
Ah, thanks. I better concentrate on the two secrets I can't beat then.
10-01-2006 at 06:16 PM
bandit1200
Hopefully my last plea for help on this hold. (Why is it so damned difficult to ask about secret rooms in the H&S forum?)

Click here to view the secret text

10-02-2006 at 12:03 PM
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
icon Re: Beethro's Mission: Spiders (+1)  

10-02-2006 at 12:12 PM
bandit1200
As I've pointed out elswhere, I'm a master at missing the obvious. Thanks.
10-02-2006 at 12:17 PM
Niccus
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 308
Excellent hold so far... definitely loving this!

On Level 4, 2N 2W...

10-09-2006 at 02:33 AM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
This hold played a little like a famous Western movie:

THE GOOD-
Quite a large hold which is only good since the rooms generally had some fun puzzle elements. The difficulty level tended to stay around the 6 or 7 level which is very enjoyable.

THE BAD-
Way too many orbs/doors used for my liking. Many times you threw in orbs/doors that had no real effect on the gameplay. At times I wasn't so happy with the explanation and use of scripting. In one case, L2:1N1E you actually have a scroll explaining that a script causes a monster to be placed whenever a roach hatches, but it says nothing about how to activate the script to strike an orb stuck in the middle of walls.

THE UGLY-
There were a lot, lot, lot of unintended solutions.
Also, I'm not sure why:

Overall verdict-
The GOOD have an easy victory here. Play this hold and have fun for a good, long time!!

Thanks for making such a fun hold Dali :)
10-12-2006 at 12:20 AM
Dali
Thanks Larry!
I'm a little bit discouraged by "the bad and ugly" part of my hold, well I admit some orbs were useless and some rooms with sriptng weren't explained correctly, because of my mediocre english...
I'll maybe do some changes later.
Thanks Larry for your post and I think I have a debt, because I remember you tested over 90% of my old hold "Lendy's Dungeon" (which is now "incomprehensibly" one of the best holds with it's rate) so if you need a hold test don't hesitate to call me...
:lol

[Last edited by Dali at 01-03-2007 06:06 PM]
10-25-2006 at 07:41 PM
jbluestein
Dali wrote:
I'm a little bit discouraged by "the bad and ugly" part of my hold, I admit some orbs were useless and some rooms with sriptng weren't explained correctly, because of my mediocre english...
I'll maybe do some changes later.

I wouldn't be too discouraged by it. You created a very good hold, just not a perfect one. (Which there really aren't that many of anyway -- how can you please all of the people all of the time?). Think of Larry's comments as constructive criticism.

I would caution against making any substantive changes to a released hold. Things like fixing up language/explanations are OK, but in general hold updates should be reserved (IMHO) for such things as removing unintended solutions and fixing unsolvable rooms. And in general they should be used very sparingly.

In my opinion. Which is mine.

(Pssst. By the way, I still can't solve the last room of the Priest's Hold...did you ever come up with a solution or hints for how to do this?)

[Last edited by jbluestein at 10-25-2006 08:12 PM]
10-25-2006 at 08:10 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Niccus wrote:
On Level 4, 2N 2W...

Ah, but due to some recent update of either the hold or the client it now does, even though the room is still solveable.

Does anybody know what happened here?

10-30-2006 at 11:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
I believe mrimer fixed a bug that "stabbing a golem doesn't count as killing a monster." I haven't played the room, but I think that'd do it.

* Script "Wait for Monster stabbed" event didn't catch rock golems breaking

17th bug fix in http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=11338 this thread.

11-02-2006 at 01:22 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
zex20913 wrote:
I believe mrimer fixed a bug that "stabbing a golem doesn't count as killing a monster." I haven't played the room, but I think that'd do it.

* Script "Wait for Monster stabbed" event didn't catch rock golems breaking
Yeah, I guess that's the ticket... :)

np: Uusitalo - Everything's An Object (Vapaa Muurari)

11-02-2006 at 03:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dali
Reviving the hold with some modifications. remember to read the first page.

[Last edited by Dali at 01-09-2007 08:47 PM]
01-09-2007 at 08:32 PM
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
Dali wrote:
L2 3S 1E: Changed completely the room.
This might not be such a good thing.

Edit: It seems you have not re-uploaded it, which is good. But it also seems you have not attached the new version as mentioned.

[Last edited by Kevin_P86 at 01-10-2007 12:20 AM]
01-10-2007 at 12:19 AM
captainzakku
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 77
As usual I seem to be months late and doomed to revive old threads, but I just completed the hold and thought I'd add my two cents.

This was a very fun hold, with some ideas I hadn't seen before, and quite a few rooms that had me scratching my head. The scripting throughout was well done, I never found places where the scripting seemed broken. The "monster/pit/snake protection" rooms were new to me, and it gave rooms like Level 1, 1N a neat twist.

I also liked the recurring theme of twirling mimics, especially Level 3, 2N 1W, and Level, 4 2S 2W. Both of those rooms were very challenging just to complete, and doubly so when trying to maximize efficiency. Neither became tedious in this process. To quote Remlin "The ratio of puzzle rooms to rooms that feel like chores is much better than most holds", and I found that to be especially true for optimizing through out the hold. The only room that I found truly tedious was Level 6, 2N 1W, which probably could have benefited from a save spot.

Other than that, from start to finish a fun hold, with a good story line that was very difficult to stop playing all the way through. Nice job Dali :thumbsup

02-23-2007 at 12:38 PM
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Beethro's Mission: Spiders (Themed Levels + Story)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com