Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Castle of mirrors 1 (Variety)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

4.3/10 (15 votes)
σ 2.18
Author Name:Nenad
Submitted By:roach strangler
Hold Name:Castle of mirrors 1
Theme:Variety
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:9
Number of Rooms:82
Number of Monsters:1960
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:-3 (+1 / -4)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Castle of mirrors 1.hold (46 KB)
Downloaded 1667 times.
License: Other
icon Castle of mirrors 1  
Beethro has to inspect a castle that no body know about! The villagers say they can hear gizmozs and talking inside. Play the game and see what happens!
08-31-2006 at 08:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Castle of mirrors 1 (0)  
It's quite easy to get yourself stuck and have to restart in several spots. There is also at least one place where there is a secret room you must solve to reach other, required, rooms.

This seems to not be a very well put-together hold.

09-01-2006 at 01:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Hikari
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 438
I'm not sure this one had enough time in Architecture. In fact, I'm not actually sure it had any time at *all* in Architecture, at least not in a bug-killing sense.

09-01-2006 at 02:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
You know you've got an unintended solution when the high scores for the room are "17, 17, 17, 17, 223, 395..." (Which is to say: yes, there's at least one room that could have benefited from some playtesting.)
09-01-2006 at 06:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
icon Re: Castle of mirrors 1 (+1)  
...is it me, or is it unconquerable? (i.e. can't get past the maze in the west side of "the empire" because you can't get to 2N1W, which is required)

edit: unless you go to the warp room, in which case you can get to the last level, but you can't "play through" to conquer, nor get the last 3 rooms. sigh.

[Last edited by silver at 09-01-2006 08:48 AM]
09-01-2006 at 08:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
Which all goes to show that when roach strangler announced in architecture that he was publishing his hold, he didn't read my own post, which preceded it.
09-01-2006 at 10:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
Nor did he correct what I noted:

"3. Once you enter kgt:3N1W you cannot backtrack which means you'll need to restore if you haven't completed 2n2w yet. Not good."

[Last edited by larrymurk at 09-01-2006 06:39 PM]
09-01-2006 at 06:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
roach strangler
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 57
Oh no! I have must of put on the non-edited one sorry guys! :(
09-01-2006 at 08:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
roach strangler
Hikari wrote:
I'm not sure this one had enough time in Architecture. In fact, I'm not actually sure it had any time at *all* in Architecture, at least not in a bug-killing sense.

Well it is my first hold and I can't make master puzzles or make my hold perfect in one try. And I got my good edited one i'll send it right over!

[Last edited by roach strangler at 09-01-2006 09:05 PM]
09-01-2006 at 09:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
roach strangler
Here ya go! :D
09-01-2006 at 09:11 PM
eytanz
No - don't attach the updated hold file. Go to your profile, choose "my holds", and use the update form found there. Or no-one with caravelnet can use the new version.

09-01-2006 at 09:35 PM
silver
I downloaded the update. apparently, "king goblin's territory" 2N1W is no longer passable to the north. I can restore beyond it, but it's pretty unplayable from a fresh start.

also, did you obtain permission from Erik and/or CaravelGames to use their copyrighted map image in "Slayer's territory" 3E?

[Last edited by silver at 09-02-2006 03:44 AM]
09-02-2006 at 03:32 AM
roach strangler
No I didn't I should delete that!!! :-O
09-03-2006 at 01:19 AM
silver
silver wrote:
I downloaded the update. apparently, "king goblin's territory" 2N1W is no longer passable to the north. I can restore beyond it, but it's pretty unplayable from a fresh start.

if only you had noticed this, too.

the hold is currently unconquerable because you can't even get to the warp room anymore if you start from the beginning.

here's a hint: before you upload your hold, play it through from start to finish. if you can't, don't upload your hold.

[Last edited by silver at 09-03-2006 12:39 PM]
09-03-2006 at 12:33 PM
eytanz
Just to clarify, you mean that this is still a problem after the latest update?

09-03-2006 at 02:59 PM
bdwing
Rank Points: 288
I have downloaded the latest update and completed the hold. It shows 100% in my list of holds. But I don't remember any warp room.

"Until it ends, there is no end."
09-03-2006 at 03:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
silver
did you start a new, fresh game? I can't get past the third level (in the latest version).

entrance and 1S are empty. in 2N the only exit is N, in 3N, the only exit is SW (back to 2N, where you go W)

in 2N1W, halph opens the 3 doors on the right, and you have a switch to open the 4 doors on the left, but the only orb that opens the north exit is behind the door that blocks the north exit.
so you go west, and conquer that, but all you can do there is return to 2N1W... where you're stuck.

this actually was NOT the case when the hold was originally uploaded, it appeared after the first update and remained after the second.

09-03-2006 at 10:43 PM
bdwing
Rank Points: 288
My bad.

I thought we were talking about the blue gates not dropping in a later level (they drop now).

In the third level I had to restore past that yellow gate that can't be opened by Halph or from the bottom side by Beethro.

:blush :no

"Until it ends, there is no end."
09-04-2006 at 12:47 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Sigh.

So, is this going to fixed any time soon?
10-19-2006 at 12:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stephen4Louise
Rank Points: 548
Can this hold be finished yet? If not, is there any chance of a fix?

Steve.
02-15-2007 at 08:55 AM
eytanz
It can be finished.

02-15-2007 at 12:54 PM
eytanz
Oh, sorry. I just checked my own list and forgot the old problem.

Could someone post a clear description of what needs to be fixed? I'll try to post a corrected version.

[Last edited by eytanz at 02-15-2007 02:34 PM]
02-15-2007 at 02:33 PM
Stephen4Louise
Rank Points: 548
Problem is described here. In king goblins territory : 2 North, 1 West it is impossible to open the door leading to the northern rooms. I think if Halph's orb as set to open it we can continue from there.

It might be worth holding of on the update for a few days in case anyone knows of any other problems in later levels.

Thanks
Steve.
02-15-2007 at 07:52 PM
eytanz
I'll try to post a corrected version later today or tomorrow, and people can test it - if it works, we can update the hold on Caravelnet.

02-15-2007 at 08:43 PM
eytanz
Just a quick note that things got a bit out of hand for me this evening, and tomorrow I'm pretty booked all day, so posting a fixed version will have to wait for Saturday.

If anyone else wants to do so instead, feel free.

02-16-2007 at 05:16 AM
Anson
Rank Points: 67
icon Re: Castle of mirrors 1 (-1)  
Don't go hard on people with 1st Holds.
Just be supportive and tell mistakes!
Just be easy on them.
Or maybe you might have a room that looks unsolveble but isnt!
And also this hold is fun!
But why did'nt you use a mimic in the mirror at the start?

Please, I admire Guthix, I solve problems, I fix rules too. I used to be a Scoundril, Complaining about the forums, But now i changed.
Click here to view the secret text

02-16-2007 at 09:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
Rank Points: 392
Hey, calm down. Chill. Eytan is only doing his job (Well this isn't actually a job but you get the idea.)
Anson wrote:
Don't go hard on people with 1st Holds.
What makes you think we're going hard on you? We treat all architects equally, and every hold has a chance to make the big time. Just put a little more effort in next time.
Anson wrote:
Just be supportive and tell mistakes!
They've pointed out mistakes and they're being supportive by fixing them for you.
Anson wrote:
Just be easy on them.
Again, every hold is equal in terms of possibilities available, but having a first hold also gives you a chance too, so in that sense we are 'easy on them.'
Anson wrote:
Or maybe you might have a room that looks unsolveble but isnt!
I haven't played this hold yet, but I imagine that some rooms were impossible, so in that sense they looked unsolvable and were!
Anson wrote:
And also this hold is fun!
Again, I can't really comment, but you should remember that not everyone will see your hold as you do. I honestly thought King Pilchard VIII's Dungeon was boring when I released it, but I was clearly in a minority.
Anson wrote:
But why didn't you use a mimic in the mirror at the start?
Obviously they found an alternate solution that doesn't require the mimic.

If you want to continue this argument, let's do so via PM. ;)

02-17-2007 at 05:54 AM
silver
In this case, all the rooms were solvable, but there was a door with orb attached which kept people from getting past a room. This is provable, not mere speculation.
No one slighted the author for it, except that it went for many months unfixed - so eytanz is fixing it.

[Last edited by silver at 02-17-2007 01:55 PM]
02-17-2007 at 06:04 AM
Pilchard VIII
Rank Points: 392
Thanks for pointing that out to me. Like I said, I haven't played it, so I can only go by the posts I read. Admittedly, I only just noticed this was by roach strangler and not Anson, but surely the same points are still valid, right?

02-17-2007 at 06:23 AM
eytanz
icon Re: Castle of mirrors 1 (+2)  
Ok - corrected version attached. If someone can test this quickly to see that:

A - It's really corrected.

and

B - It still counts as the same hold ID, and everything else

That'd be great.

Edit: attachment removed so as not to confuse people in the future.

[Last edited by eytanz at 02-18-2007 10:57 PM]
02-18-2007 at 05:30 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Castle of mirrors 1 (Variety)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com