Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : DROD Learning Zone (For beginners. Especially kids.)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

4.6/10 (63 votes)
σ 2.43
Author Name:LarryMurk
Submitted By:larrymurk
Hold Name:DROD Learning Zone
Theme:For beginners. Especially kids.
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:4
Number of Rooms:18
Number of Monsters:271
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:2 (+2 / -0)
Poster Message
Giant-Nator22
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 2
IP: Logged
icon Re: DROD Learning Zone (+1)  
It was kind of easy. Then again, that is what the hold is all about. I don't think that it gave a full tutorial really.

Anyway, it was still fine.

09-11-2007 at 01:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Continuing my quest I encountered this... Terrifying thing. The greatest shock to me was when I saw it was made by Larrymurk. And that it got positive reception... It was like... You know, when you are late for school and are running across the street because your bus is stopping, and suddenly a car hits you, and you fly ten meters only to hit a tree, and then a big branch hits your head, and then a couple of hobos rob and kick you, and then, when the ambulance comes, the nurse make you fall from the stretcher tree times, and then the ambulance has an accident and you fly through the front window, and then the big meteorite falls from the sky and hits you? Well, that's what I thought.
Anyway, I did not like this hold, really. I feel now like The_Red_Hawk not catching (or pretending to not catch) the Ray Gun joke, but that won't change the fact that I almost chew off my arm. Too much terrible holds in too short time perhaps.

Though some of the jokes were nice :).

08-24-2009 at 10:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 608
icon Re: DROD Learning Zone (0)  
Very straight-forward and somewhat informative. A kindly hold for the very smallest of children in your family perhaps (the non-spawning queen roaches are evidence of that). Aesthetically pleasing, quaint, but didn't feel like it would really teach anyone much except how to move.

Nevertheless, it was enjoyable trying to get a minimum number of moves and I enjoyed myself.

05-27-2011 at 07:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bbb
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 215
admin wrote:
You can not die or get stuck,

You CAN get stuck.
Click here to view the secret text

10-07-2013 at 10:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
bbb wrote:
You CAN get stuck.
Click here to view the secret text

I'm not seeing it. How?

I note that in Zone 3: 1 EAST you can trap yourself using the wubbas, but I can only do this against the entrance, so that's not really stuck as you can still just leave.

10-07-2013 at 06:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3118
Jacob wrote:
I'm not seeing it. How?
Force Arrow.
10-07-2013 at 06:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
Oh yeah, nice catch

10-07-2013 at 07:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2386
Can probably just make the square under the force arrow a trapdoor, that should fix it.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
10-08-2013 at 04:09 AM
bbb
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 215
disoriented wrote:
Can probably just make the square under the force arrow a trapdoor, that should fix it.

Or make the force arrow point diagonally. By making all 4 arrows point diagonally, symmetry can be preserved.
10-08-2013 at 09:16 AM
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
icon Re: DROD Learning Zone (+4)  
So my daughter just turned 5 and has been expressing an interest in DROD every time she sees me playing it. I figured she's old enough to give it a try and this hold was absolutely perfect for her. Took us about 54 minutes and 2000 moves to complete zone 1, but she had a terrific time. She really wanted to keep going with zone 2, so we'll probably come back and play some more later. I asked her about what she liked about it and what she didn't.

What she liked:
Getting all the "red balls" in 1S. (I mean, they do look more like balls than brains I guess)

Getting the snakes in 1E. "I knew they were snakes because the wavy one looks like a snake"

What she didn't like:
"Nothing, I liked everything."

What I liked as a parent:
The fact that there was no getting stuck or getting killed. The fact that the rooms were super straightforward, but still had enough going on to provide an interesting task. I did play with the sound off, so I don't know if the voice acting would have been off putting to her though.

So thanks Larry, you crafted this perfectly for kids ready to pixk up DROD for the first time.

I also feel like I have to comment a little bit on some of the unintentionally hilarious reviews in this thread. A lot of them could really be summarized as "I'm not the intended audience for this hold so it was obviously bad." I'm somewhat shocked since I usually think the folks who play DROD are a little bit better than that, but I suspect some of it is the weight of expectation that the name LarryMurk carries. But the fact that it's intended for kids is literally in the hold description folks! And if you read through this thread several different people complained that the hold "left out" information about brains! Seriously! Have you played through the Advanced Concepts brain level???? Again, I suspect the folks making these comments may have overlooked the hold description (or else don't have much experience with kids!)

Anyway, rant aside, for the intended audience, this hold seems to be really well crafted. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone thinking about introducing their little ones to DROD.

[Last edited by Insoluble at 03-15-2017 12:09 AM]
03-15-2017 at 12:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
blorx1
Rank Points: 920
icon Re: DROD Learning Zone (+2)  
Don't be crazy. We know children should start with Beethro's Teacher.

03-15-2017 at 01:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407
Time for a new war hold, then.

03-15-2017 at 03:39 AM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : DROD Learning Zone (For beginners. Especially kids.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com