Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Island (Island)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

4.4/10 (19 votes)
σ 2.30
Author Name:Tokyokid
Submitted By:tokyokid
Hold Name:Island
Theme:Island
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:1
Number of Rooms:25
Number of Monsters:476
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:-1 (+1 / -2)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Island.hold (10.6 KB)
Downloaded 1534 times.
License: Other
icon Island  
Here is my next hold, it is pretty simple, except for a few rooms.
You can pretty much travel freely through rooms!
NEW VERSION!!
05-07-2006 at 05:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1979
icon Re: Island (0)  
Please note that this hold is working now. I think.
Tim wrote sometime ago:
I guess my feelings for this hold sums up in room 1N2E. Again a hold that is not finishable.

I'm not going to playing another of your hold. Thank you.

[Last edited by Tim at 02-17-2007 10:15 AM]
05-07-2006 at 11:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: Island (+1)  
I'm not going to playing another of your hold.

Don't let his bad english skills become your bad english skills, my man.

Tokyokid: Please. Architecture. Not Holds. You're /not done with these yet/.
05-08-2006 at 12:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
1N 2E is impossible as the tar spawns into the walled-off area, and the tar responsible can't be cut within 30 moves.
05-08-2006 at 04:43 AM
Geiler Hengst
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 64
ok....dont be too hard with him, he doesnt understand the concept of beta testing thats for sure... still especially this hold has some really fun and nice rooms, and apart from that 1N2E all are solveable... I know not solveable rooms are annoying, but still it is just his second hold and if he goes on like that but finds out what the idea of testing is, there might come some nice constructions from him in future...
05-08-2006 at 02:07 PM
Syntax
Geiler Hengst wrote:
ok....dont be too hard with him, he doesnt understand the concept of beta testing thats for sure... still especially this hold has some really fun and nice rooms, and apart from that 1N2E all are solveable... I know not solveable rooms are annoying, but still it is just his second hold and if he goes on like that but finds out what the idea of testing is, there might come some nice constructions from him in future...
I second that, but still think it's worth pointing out any buggy rooms, as they're actually getting fixed [!]. And I think by now he knows to look into the Arichecture board first.

Tokyokid, what do you reckon? Can't find a single post from you...

3 Holds in 3 days, and no shadow... hmmm... At least it's got a mystery shroud ;)
05-08-2006 at 06:07 PM
Geiler Hengst
haha....

probably he is larry who wants to get rid of all his not so good rooms he created so far... and as he is busy with his next hold nooone can solve, but everyone loves he doesnt have time to put them on betatesting....

ok the story up there is probably nonsense...
05-08-2006 at 07:11 PM
ChrisB
Rank Points: 58
admin wrote:
Here is my next hold, it is pretty simple, except for a few rooms. You can pretty much travel freely through rooms!

Hey! Come on Tokyokid

It's all very well saying you can travel through the hold freely - you can do that with many of the holds on the Forum. But you have to be able to beat them one way or another.

There have been several posts complaining about 1N2E being unbeatable & i must now join the list as this is the last room to conquer.

If you are going to attempt to build a hold (without, I must say, even beating one room of JtRH, according to your profile) at least use Architecture to iron out faults, or you will find yourself being ostracised from other members.

You obviously have a flair for creating holds, but please give other members feedabck on their comments.

Chris

05-10-2006 at 08:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Geiler Hengst wrote:
probably he is larry who wants to get rid of all his not so good rooms he created so far... and as he is busy with his next hold nooone can solve....

Nonsense.

These rooms can be solved in more than one way--Larry'd never make a room like that! :D
05-11-2006 at 01:41 AM
NaturalWay42
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 29

File: Tgr9s Island.hold (10.8 KB)
Downloaded 93 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Island (+2)  
I made edits. (crappy)

<< --- download, Its solvable through the end.

05-13-2006 at 01:18 AM
Syntax
Well, I must admit that I looked at your rank points... and yeah 4 usually means arrogant, rude and disrespectful (seen as you start with 10).

.However.

I too played a hell out of Lux (highest rank = 3rd behind Preacherman about a year ago). Anyways... yes... I now know why I remember the nick tokyokid. Though I can't be sure about his Lux releases, I remember a lot of peeps being angry with him for hosting 'til he lost and then discon'ing...

Would be nice to hear his comments though...
05-13-2006 at 01:20 AM
tokyokid
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 453
icon to syntax (+1)  
yeah i am the guy who plays lux... but i don't host games so I don't know where you get that rumor...

I actually saw DROD on the sillysoft page. I bought it. I actually beat King Dugan's Dugeon, but I beat it before I got a membership, so It won't show on my profile.

Anywaise, I will make an edit to Island so that it is possible. I would like to thank everyone who's played my holds and reviewed them. I've been busy lately, so no time on fourms... well thanks.

P.S. look for my next hold called Pitways. I actually made it with a group of people (The TURK Team) It will be posted soon, and yes it is tested and all 8 members have played through it!
05-14-2006 at 04:21 PM
Syntax
Will be worth posting the next hold on the the Architecture board first... you'll get plenty of feedback there too.

Thanks for updating Island!
05-14-2006 at 04:57 PM
Geiler Hengst
I came here from lux as well. I dont remember tokyo as a bad host but as a good player and a not so good map maker... perhaops its here the same. Dont get me wrong tokyo, make as many holds as you want i like them so far, but publish them first for beta testing on the forum or in the archtects board then people can help u improving them.

05-14-2006 at 04:59 PM
Hikari
Rank Points: 438
:waits anxiously for the Island update so it's possible to beat 1N2E:

;)

Oh, and, um, Tokyokid? If you go into your DROD settings and when you're connected to CaravelNet, click 'Update Scores', it *should* send all your unsent scores (the pre-subscription ones) along to the server.

[Last edited by Hikari at 05-17-2006 07:08 AM]
05-17-2006 at 07:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Beef Row
Rank Points: 471
Hikari wrote:
Oh, and, um, Tokyokid? If you go into your DROD settings and when you're connected to CaravelNet, click 'Update Scores', it *should* send all your unsent scores (the pre-subscription ones) along to the server.

Only if he's been recording demos all along, though.

IE: I beat KDD using the AE version, originally, and played up to maybe level 12 (check my profile to see which one exactly) of JTRH without demos on. No big deal, but a player can have alot more experience than their profile reflects.

05-18-2006 at 04:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Just beat this hold. It's attractive and not too difficult.

A couple of good puzzles.

I give it a 7 and 4 brains.

Josh

07-20-2006 at 03:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Anson
Rank Points: 67
icon Re: Island (-2)  
Tim wrote:
I guess my feelings for this hold sums up in room 1N2E. Again a hold that is not finishable.

I'm not going to playing another of your hold. Thank you.
By the way,
infuancing people is veryyyyyy bad so does'nt mean that you should'nt play his holds anymore.
You might miss a cool hold!
EDIT: WHO MOD THIS POST?

Please, I admire Guthix, I solve problems, I fix rules too. I used to be a Scoundril, Complaining about the forums, But now i changed.
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Anson at 02-17-2007 09:40 PM]
02-17-2007 at 02:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Heh, I almost had forgotten Tokyokid's first attempts at making a hold. Has Tim played Ravenous yet? :D
02-17-2007 at 02:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Anson wrote:
By the way,
infuancing people is veryyyyyy bad so does'nt mean that you should'nt play his holds anymore.

You misspelled "doesn't". And "shouldn't". And whatever the heck "infuancing" was supposed to be. And "doesn't" doesn't have a subject. And...oh, really, why do I bother.
02-17-2007 at 03:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
noma
Rank Points: 1594
Tahnan wrote:
Anson wrote:
By the way,

You misspelled "doesn't". And "shouldn't". And whatever the heck "infuancing" was supposed to be. And "doesn't" doesn't have a subject. And...oh, really, why do I bother.

Because you care, Tahnan. You truly, deeply... ah hell, you're right. I guess you just don't have enough "infuance."
02-17-2007 at 03:50 AM
noma
You're right and I am shamed. I am generally a kind person, and my remark was unkind. Please accept my apology Anson.

Really, I didn't mean to mock; just poke gentle fun as we often do to each other. One forgets the age range is wide here. Again, I am sorry.

[ Edit: this may not make sense to anyone so to clarify; someone -- very correctly -- brought to my attention that my post was perhaps a little harsh considering Anson's age. Hence the apology. They only deleted their comment because via PM we discussed deleting all the posts. But the timing didn't work out. Tahnan and I had decided to let our posts stand at the same time that the 3rd party deleted his post. ]

[Last edited by noma at 02-17-2007 09:18 PM]
02-17-2007 at 04:14 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
At the risk of being modded down: yeah, I kinda really do need to. I'm not as kind a person as noma, perhaps.

It's not just the spelling that I'm pointing at--and the thing is, it's bad spelling to the point of literal incomprehensibility at times. The thing about Anson the child (if he's a child; how do we know?) vs. Chaco the child (if you're a child--but I'll take your word for it) isn't that "oh, they're both children, we should treat them both equally"; it's that Chaco has proved himself an important contributing member of the community, whereas Anson has, well, spelled badly and posted half-finished incoherent holds. I'll respect anyone who contributes, but I don't feel a deep need to cut slack to someone who, er, doesn't yet.

Er. Do carry on.
02-17-2007 at 04:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
noma
It's not that you're less kind. (And you're certainly more steadfast than me.) I see now that you were just expressing frustration: I respect you for standing your ground. However I was just taking a cheap shot and for that I felt the need to apologize.

So now I'm going to back away from my keyboard for a while and, um, go sit in the corner.

[Last edited by noma at 02-17-2007 05:11 AM]
02-17-2007 at 05:10 AM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Oh, this is an interesting thread :)

For historical reasons, I do want to say that I'm usually not that disappointed, but this was his third hold that didn't work. And even though I didn't like to write the first post here, I felt I should warn others about the hold. Perhaps I should edit the first post now this hold is actually finishable :)

Edit: Changed my first reply in this thread.

I understand that his hold making is getting better nowadays, but he also got other people who wants to test for him. And I can spend more time testing other holds where other people are not testing for.
Ezlo wrote:
Has Tim played Ravenous yet? :D
No. (and if it's any consolation, the rest of the HA was testing it while I was lying sick in bed)

-- Tim

[Last edited by Tim at 02-17-2007 10:24 AM]
02-17-2007 at 10:11 AM
Anson
Rank Points: 67
Tahnan wrote:
Anson wrote:
By the way,

Do you expect a nine year old to know EVERYTHING?
But if you do this again that means WAR!
:starwars

Please, I admire Guthix, I solve problems, I fix rules too. I used to be a Scoundril, Complaining about the forums, But now i changed.

02-17-2007 at 09:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
UrAvgAzn
Rank Points: 468
Anson wrote:
Tahnan wrote:
Anson wrote:
By the way,

Do you expect a nine year old to know EVERYTHING?
But if you do this again that means WAR!
:starwars
Well, you should at least try to spellcheck your posts. When I was your age, I was checking online dictionaries to spell these things right. But I have a different case, I came here after playing years and years of RuneScape. So, obviously, I'd type here, like I did in RuneScape. Finally realized that everyone else was typing in sentence form, not like me (cud n e 1 plz give me sum advice?) :blush . I eventually got better, and I think people don't cringe while seeing me around. ;)

Keep posting,

02-17-2007 at 09:53 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
UrAvgAzn wrote:
Finally realized that everyone else was typing in sentence form, not like me (cud n e 1 plz give me sum advice?) :blush . I eventually got better, and I think people don't cringe while seeing me around. ;)
Maybe if you win a contest, Schik will change your username to something less prejudice-prone.

02-17-2007 at 10:11 PM
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
Conquered! (no secret rooms or master walls)

I would like to say that in its solvable state, this hold is actually fairly decent. A good bit of fun to play. A good hold for your 20-minute coffee break. Some of the puzzles are nice, though others are forgettable and/or not functioning properly.

I found an amusing unintended solution in Twice North, Twice West. Specifically,

An unlikable part of this hold is that secret walls are used to hide vital parts of the solution of certain puzzles. I honestly considered deciding the puzzle was impossible and would have gone to the H&S board to find the work-around, save for a bit of luck with me running along the wall with my sword pointing the right direction. This docked some points from the hold's fun score.

This hold suffered from some problems at its release, which is understandable, but since I am playing the most stable version, without any hold-breaking errors, I shall probably rate this hold higher than the previous commenters did. So,
6 for fun
3 for brains
60/100 approval rating.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
02-11-2011 at 03:36 AM
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
Agreed with above. None too memorable but enjoyable as a diversion nonetheless. The outdoor theme was consistent and I liked the ocean. It did somewhat feel like an island---a bizarre island that I would rather not be trapped on. Still not sure how I made it back to civilization but here I am, so it must have happened!

06-27-2011 at 01:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Island (Island) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com