Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : King Pilchard VIII's Dungeon (Adventure)
Page 4 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.2/10 (43 votes)
σ 2.22
Author Name:Pilchard VIII
Submitted By:Pilchard VIII
Hold Name:King Pilchard VIII\'s Dungeon
Theme:Adventure
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:20
Number of Rooms:159
Number of Monsters:3819
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:1 (+7 / -6)
Poster Message
Pilchard VIII
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 392
IP: Logged
icon Re: King Pilchard VIII's Dungeon (0)  
Okay, first off, and sorry to disappoint, but seeing as this hold is so old, I'm not sure if it's worth updating this anymore. You must remember that this was my first hold, so it's obviously not going to be as high a quality as The Slayer's Revenge or KPVIIID3 when it comes out.

And I've said it many times before, I'M NOT KING PILCHARD! I just created him, but we have no link whatsoever.

11-29-2006 at 03:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
Pilchard VIII wrote:
Okay, first off, and sorry to disappoint, but seeing as this hold is so old, I'm not sure if it's worth updating this anymore. You must remember that this was my first hold, so it's obviously not going to be as high a quality as The Slayer's Revenge or KPVIIID3 when it comes out.

Sure, but it's still here, on the hold's board, available to everyone. You should stop thinking about this in reference to your own hold building skills - which have certainly advanced - but rather think of it in context of the community.

This hold has a lot of good in it, and the design flaws are easily fixed - really, all you need to do is remove one blue door. The fact that people want you to fix it should be taken as indication that it *is* worth updating it.

Remember, from your point of view, this is an old hold, but a player new to DROD will just see it as one more hold to play. Why give new players (and old players, especially those who are completionists) a bad experience?

11-29-2006 at 04:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
Okay, I'll try and get an update on sharpish

11-29-2006 at 04:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Out of curiosity, a question to wallu, silver, Dolan43, Hikari, Rabscuttle, and Beef Row. How exactly did y'all manage to get more than 91 scores in the hold? Is this somehow masterable, in a way we're not seeing; or are those scores from beta-testing?
11-29-2006 at 07:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Error302
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
there seems to be a bug, i just exited the slayer killing challenge, and now i'm locked in the room. the doors open once as i step away from the stairs, and then close again. i'm locked in T_T
i even tried replaying the room, after killing the guard, and the roaches, and then the bonus slayer, and returning i'm STILL stuck in the room!
12-28-2006 at 04:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
Yes, there is a bug. I believe what you're describing is what the last six or seven posts have been about. But it does serve as a nice bump: Pilchard, fix this thing already.
12-28-2006 at 06:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
02-16-2007 at 03:13 AM
Stephen4Louise
Rank Points: 548
Another victim of the Blue Door Of Doom :? If only I had read this thread before I started playing the hold. Is there any chance of getting the blue door changed to master wall, and room behind unmarked as secret?

Apart from that, it is a great hold that was fun to play. I'm sure if this is fixed you will see the ratings for this hold going up.

Keep up the good work Pilchard.

Steve.
03-11-2007 at 07:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
I appreciate the concern, but that was how I planned it. So you had to complete ALL previous challenges BEFORE you could get 100%.
Sorry, that's the way the hold was.

03-12-2007 at 03:40 PM
Albert
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 29
...Which would be a perfectly acceptable way of doing things if there wasn't a bug meaning that you can't continue from the slayer-slaying challenge without restoring.

But as there is, it means that the blue door in the challenges level is undroppable, and hence the hold is unmasterable.
03-12-2007 at 05:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stephen4Louise
Pilchard VIII wrote:
I appreciate the concern, but that was how I planned it. So you had to complete ALL previous challenges BEFORE you could get 100%.
Sorry, that's the way the hold was.

The problem as I see it is, I HAVE completed all previous challenges, but I still can't get 100% without replaying the majority of the hold, including the challenges. :?

It just seems a shame that another level of an otherwise good hold is wasted behind a masterwall that I can't open.

Steve.

Steve.
03-12-2007 at 06:09 PM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
I should really replay this--but it really doesn't take as long to get through the entire hold again to get to the last bit as you'd think.
03-12-2007 at 09:44 PM
Tahnan
icon Re: King Pilchard VIII's Dungeon (+1)  
Banjooie wrote:
I should really replay this--but it really doesn't take as long to get through the entire hold again to get to the last bit as you'd think.
Yes. It does. Because YOU CAN'T GET THERE AT ALL. See the various posts above explaining the bug preventing you from finishing one of the rooms on that level.

I swear, I'm tempted to start giving this hold -1 karma every week until this bug gets fixed. I don't know why this has become such a bête noire for me--or maybe an idée fixe. But, well.
03-12-2007 at 11:13 PM
Banjooie
What? I swear you can. I know I did in the beta. I know I did, like, a /week/ after the bloody thing was released, and we had the first problem with this. Isn't there some stupid thing where you can do it, but you have to play the entire hold from the very beginning in order to pull it off?
03-13-2007 at 12:03 AM
Beef Row
Rank Points: 471
Banjooie wrote:
What? I swear you can. I know I did in the beta. I know I did, like, a /week/ after the bloody thing was released, and we had the first problem with this. Isn't there some stupid thing where you can do it, but you have to play the entire hold from the very beginning in order to pull it off?

It sounds as though what happened is one of the fixes since you and I played it has since made it impossible to get 100% if you didn't master it in a previous version. I guess this sort of thing is part of why updates to already released holds are becoming less popular now?

03-13-2007 at 12:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Gah! Pilchard, I am going to beat you in the eye with your own spleen for making me wrong.
03-13-2007 at 01:10 AM
Tahnan
Beef Row wrote:
Banjooie wrote:

It sounds as though what happened is one of the fixes since you and I played it has since made it impossible to get 100% if you didn't master it in a previous version.

Yeah--if you read through the previous three pages of discussion, you'll see where Pilchard updated the hold a number of times, ostensibly to allow backtracking (though not very effectively, since there're still some unbacktrackable rooms). Somewhere in there, the orbs broke in one of the post-challenge rooms, making that room impossible to escape after doing the challenge. Thus, the only way to progress is to skip that challenge, making the blue door on the challenge level undroppable.

Which, I should note, Pilchard keeps refusing to fix.
03-13-2007 at 01:15 AM
Banjooie
There will be eye-spleen violence.
03-13-2007 at 01:16 AM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Banjooie wrote:
There will be eye-spleen violence.
I scream, you scream, we all scream... for eye-spleen! :D

[Last edited by Jatopian at 03-13-2007 01:29 AM]
03-13-2007 at 01:26 AM
Pilchard VIII
icon Get off my back! (-1)  
Okay, you lot. Listen up because I AM NOT saying this again! I have told you over and over and over again that I am not modifying this hold anymore. This hold is the property of the Hold Admins. As it is I can't fix this yet, because none of my computers have JtRH on anymore. Stop bugging me for it to be fixed, because it ain't gonna happen, unless the HAs fix it. So stop being jerks and stop bugging me for it to be fixed, because I'm not touching this hold again.

There, I said it. Now get off my backs.

[Last edited by Pilchard VIII at 03-13-2007 03:56 PM]
03-13-2007 at 03:55 PM
Stephen4Louise
:tumbleweed:
03-13-2007 at 04:31 PM
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
No need to mod Pilchard down.... he is telling the truth... just in the wrong tone.

[Last edited by MeckMeck GRE at 03-13-2007 04:57 PM]
03-13-2007 at 04:57 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Just so this doesn't continue needlessly, Pilchard gave the hold admins permission to modify the hold in order to correct the bugs. A new version has been created (thanks to Stefan) and is currently being tested - once it is certain that no new problems were introduced the hold will be updated.

03-13-2007 at 05:12 PM
Tahnan
icon Re: Get off my back! (+1)  
Pilchard VIII wrote:
Okay, you lot. Listen up because I AM NOT saying this again! I have told you over and over and over again that I am not modifying this hold anymore. This hold is the property of the Hold Admins. As it is I can't fix this yet, because none of my computers have JtRH on anymore. Stop bugging me for it to be fixed, because it ain't gonna happen, unless the HAs fix it. So stop being jerks and stop bugging me for it to be fixed, because I'm not touching this hold again.
OK, so, actually, you never said any such thing. The only thing you said, above, was "seeing as this hold is so old, I'm not sure if it's worth updating this anymore"--which is a far cry from (a) I'm not going to do it, (b) I can't do it, and (c) someone else can do it.

In any case, I'm glad to know that someone is doing it.
03-13-2007 at 07:30 PM
BeefontheBone
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 184
Now get off my backs.
How many backs do you have? I suppose if you were a conjoined twin you could have 2...

03-13-2007 at 11:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
If I'm to understand Sir Mixalot, a woman both has a back, and baby /got/ back.

I think that makes two?
03-14-2007 at 07:27 AM
BeefontheBone
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 184
Surely he was just pointing out that babies have backs as well as adults? That's how I always interpreted that title...

03-14-2007 at 07:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
You interpret it that way because you do not pull up quickly enough to retrieve them.
03-14-2007 at 07:27 PM
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
icon Re: King Pilchard VIII's Dungeon (+3)  
This hold has now been updated. Here's a list of all the changes:

Click here to view the secret text

03-27-2007 at 02:20 PM
Stephen4Louise
Great work Stefan, thanks!

Anyone who hasn't gone on to beat the rooms behind the master walls should get to it. There's some good stuff back there.

Click here to view the secret text

Keep up the good work Pilchard.

Steve.
03-27-2007 at 08:08 PM
Page 4 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : King Pilchard VIII's Dungeon (Adventure)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com