Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : New Hold: The Dreaming 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
IP: Logged

File: The Dreaming 2.hold (4.3 KB)
Downloaded 185 times.
License: Other
icon New Hold: The Dreaming 2 (0)  
UPDATE 10/30/03: 1N, 1N1E, 1W, and 1S1W have all been added to my main hold, Treasure Hunt. They have all been modified in small ways. This hold is still around for posterity, but I will no longer be updating it. Just for my curiosity, there were 26 downloads at the time of this update.

I thought I should make a new topic for this instead of adding it to the first level, so it gets more exposure. :D

Some of these rooms are hard (but not as hard as Wesley's!), others are pretty easy, but I built the level around a design idea, not a puzzle idea. So, you take what you can get. It shouldn't take that long to beat it...it didn't take me too long to make it!

I did play through it in its entirety and have demos saved for each room, so they are all solvable. I am sure that people will think of solutions that I didn't, though.

For posterity, this was made and exported in build 29.

Game on,

[Edited by Oneiromancer on 07-19-2003 at 09:58 PM]

[Edited by Oneiromancer on 10-31-2003 at 07:34 AM GMT]

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
07-19-2003 at 09:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
billbuckner
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 57
icon Re: New Hold: The Dreaming 2 (0)  
Is 1s ment to be unsolvable entering from the north? because I just solved it. Made it much easier.
07-19-2003 at 10:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
That was how I planned it (solving it from the South), but mostly because I didn't want to have to record a demo doing it from the North...I thought it was probably possible, but too hard for me to bother with :P I will add a brain to the middle and bottom sections to address this, but I don't think this is worth re-releasing the level for.

Thanks, though--noticing things like this is why I make the levels public before doing a more final version.

Edit: you know what, I just realize that I added the doors late in the design so as to give the player time to get to the checkpoints, which unintentionally makes that corner trivial...or at least easier. Again, not worth re-releasing, since it doesn't break the entire level or anything like that.

Game on,

[Edited by Oneiromancer on 07-19-2003 at 10:45 PM]

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
07-19-2003 at 10:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tscott
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 382
Nice hold. I just finished it. It must take some time to make the rooms look just random enough. 1N 1E was pretty challenging but enjoyable when I was able to remember where those two checkpoints were under all that tar growth. :)

BTW, I solved 1 South by entering in from the SW corner of the room which I think is the way you intended it.

07-20-2003 at 12:19 AM
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
I really enjoyed this hold, except the serpent room in 1N1W - but that's a personal taste thing, there's nothing wrong with the room (except maybe the lack of a checkpoint).

The best rooms IMO were 1N1E (my favourite, a really well designed room), 1S1W (the wraithwing room), and 1N.

07-20-2003 at 12:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Thanks for the compliments on 1N1E...I had some scares when I was recording the demo that some tar babies were in impossible to reach places, but it actually turned out that you could reach them all if you were careful. And yes, it is important to remember where the checkpoints are...that's why I didn't put any more on.

1S1W I originally designed to take advantage of the toggling invisibility potions...and then I found that this wasn't implemented yet! I see that this option is in Build 30, but if people like the room the way it is I will do it in a different room.

Oh, and TScott--when making the rooms I did do them randomly...just placed some statues, then some pits, and then made slight modifications based on what monsters I was putting in there.

One last thing before I go--in 1E, I tried to make it so that only one path could solve it, the lower one on the West wall. Did anyone else solve it using a different path? Hmmm, now that I think about it perhaps the one just below that might work too...

I think it would be cool if spiders changed color based on the level you were on...

Game on,

07-20-2003 at 01:20 AM
Tscott
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 382
icon Re: Re: New Hold: The Dreaming 2 (0)  
Oneiromancer wrote:
One last thing before I go--in 1E, I tried to make it so that only one path could solve it, the lower one on the West wall. Did anyone else solve it using a different path?
I solved it using the top entrance from the west. It took some work, but it's possible.

07-20-2003 at 01:29 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : New Hold: The Dreaming 2
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com