Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Tunnel Vision (Tunnels)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.4/10 (40 votes)
σ 1.30
Author Name:Tim
Submitted By:Tim
Hold Name:Tunnel Vision
Theme:Tunnels
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:1
Number of Rooms:28
Number of Monsters:320
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:15 (+15 / -0)
Poster Message
Ezlo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1214
IP: Logged
icon Re: Tunnel Vision (+1)  
I agree with jbluestien completely, except I'm giving it a 7 difficulty.
10-04-2006 at 12:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
After hearing this one mentioned recently I decided to give it a go and was very pleasantly surprised. Though perhaps too heavy on the dialogue (I missed some too), the game was quite enjoyable and all of the puzzles seemed very clever. The use of tunnels was masterful and some of the secret rooms were very well hidden.

I didn't think it was that hard either, which was nice. It took me a while just because I'm more of the plodding sort but not too long and being able to play through twice and pick up missed rooms was great.

03-21-2012 at 06:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228
I'm really on the same page as west.logan here (literally too), this is a solid, sturdy hold, with excellent puzzles and a very enjoyable story. I liked choosing the rooms, and returning to complete all of them. The secret rooms are also hidden in clever ways, and it was fun looking for them.

The guard is a very likable character by the way, and I love how he came into most of the rooms to comment on my puzze-solving.

9 for fun, 6.5 for difficulty
03-21-2012 at 10:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
OneMoreNameless
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 131
"Oh well done you are so amazing wow how talented I just can't even I love you please have my babies in the next room which my god such an amazing choice you've made it's so interesting I can't wait touch me." - That one NPC, every single room, every single time you restart.

Ahem. Room and level aesthetics are good, although the graphical style seems arbitrarily inappropriate for tunnel puzzles. The story (coddling aside) was surprisingly enjoyable and concluded dramatically. There were a few annoying scripted moments that basically required a trial and error run before you could start actually solving the room, plus occasional arbitrary stuff like only some NPC mimics being killable or using a script where a pressure plate would have functioned identically. nothing else given the hold age and Tim not being a time traveler.

The puzzles themselves are all straightforward but solid, varied, and enjoyable. Difficulty was moderate. Secrets were cleverly placed for a change. Solving the hold in two linear passes was interesting and fit the story, but possibly irritating if you get stuck on the second pass (can't jump around to solve other leftover puzzles) or dislike leaving stuff behind.

Worth playing.

[Last edited by OneMoreNameless at 05-16-2013 12:37 AM]
05-15-2013 at 02:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
navithmastero
Rank Points: 596
icon Re: Tunnel Vision (+3)  
"Oh well done, you put a lot time and effort into making a hold, and I picked a few things that could have done better and made a massive fuss over not such a big detail." That one guy, every single hold, every single time you read the comments.

Ahem...

-nm

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by navithmastero at 05-15-2013 01:21 PM]
05-15-2013 at 01:05 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
icon Re: Tunnel Vision (0)  
Oh, I thought it was pretty funny when he said that I could replace some of the scripting with pressure plates.

In fact, I can assure you that some would have been replaced by pressure plates, if they actually existed when this hold was made. ;) I did used them later in Advanced Concepts (a hold you all obviously have played before.)

I do appreciate the comments though, and I do read them. Thanks.

[Last edited by Tim at 05-15-2013 03:02 PM]
05-15-2013 at 02:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
OneMoreNameless
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 131
icon Re: Tunnel Vision (0)  
Uh, whoops, guess I forgot which version of DROD pressure plates were introduced in.
05-16-2013 at 12:45 AM
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
icon Re: Tunnel Vision (+3)  
I was a bit apprehensive about this one, since tunnels are one of those elements that can definitely be used for evil, but their usage in this hold was varied, interesting, and fair. The overall structure of the hold is well done too, and there's even a nice little story.

Overall a very solid hold. Highly recommended.

06-02-2021 at 06:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2670
icon Re: Tunnel Vision (+2)  
I said I play whatever hold came out with picking out a random room id, and it was this one. Good choice random number generator, a solid hold.

I liked the choice of pathways and then you got the option to go through it again to pick the other options and the story changed.

The unsolvable secret trapdoor / orb puzzle was mean though.
06-24-2023 at 01:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Tunnel Vision (Tunnels)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com