Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Mindsweeper (A puzzle experiment)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
RoboBob3000
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1978
IP: Logged

File: mindsweeper.JPG (12.2 KB)
Downloaded 273 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Mindsweeper (+8)  
I've been trying to develop original (I hope) puzzle ideas for a project I'm working on. This is one I'm uncertain about because it's difficult to judge the difficulty or the uniqueness of the solutions of the problems. In any case, I wanted to run one by the forum and get some opinions. I call the puzzle format Mindsweeper.

You're given a 5x5 box (or whatever size, really, 5x5 seems to be manageable) that represents a Minesweeper board, with a couple of squares filled in. Located around the board are the totals of the values of the squares in each row and column of the completed board. As in Minesweeper, the value of each square in the grid represents the total number of bombs located its eight adjacent squares. You are also told how many remaining mines need to be placed.

It's your task to fill in the board. In my hastily sketched MSPaint production attached, I've included one puzzle. Tell me what you think of it. Is it too hard? Too guess-and-check? Can you find multiple solutions?

Thanks, forum. You rock.

[Last edited by RoboBob3000 at 04-08-2006 04:16 AM]
03-29-2006 at 01:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
icon Re: Mindsweeper (0)  
That was very fun. Reminds me of sudoku in a way, the style of thinking, but much much more fun and less repetitive.
Yup, theres a unique solution. I managed to solve it completely with logic, except for one little bit where I had to think ahead a tiny tiny bit (can do it in your head).

I want more.
03-29-2006 at 01:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
md5i
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 109
icon Re: Mindsweeper (+1)  
I was able to solve it without guessing.

Solution here:
Click here to view the secret text

Some analysis here:

03-29-2006 at 01:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
Yeah, that was a cute puzzle. It used some of my favorite techniques from Minesweeper along with some unusual reasoning. I think overall, the puzzle is pretty unique.

03-29-2006 at 02:26 PM
RoboBob3000

File: mindsweeper.JPG (11.6 KB)
Downloaded 84 times.
In celebration of unexpected newspost linkage, I'll post a couple more puzzles. They're still on a small scale, and the logic centers around zeros and symmetry. I haven't tried to solve a more difficult one yet but these ones seems to be at a difficulty that I enjoyed.

The thing I like most about these is that they're very easy to make, but the hard part is making sure that they're solvable. They're somewhat like picross puzzles, if anybody is familiar with them.

The first puzzle I'm posting in this batch of three is the same as the first one, but I discovered that it could be solved with less information than I initially gave.

04-03-2006 at 05:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000

File: mindsweeper2.JPG (11.3 KB)
Downloaded 79 times.
Here's a second. It can probably be decucted easily (leaving it to be a case of checking your answers), but for me at least, it involved a slightly different approach to the symmetry angle.

04-03-2006 at 05:29 AM
RoboBob3000

File: mindsweeper3.JPG (11.5 KB)
Downloaded 92 times.
Here's a third. That's a zero on the board, not a bomb. I was unable to solve it without that information pre-placed, so if any of you can, that would be awesome.

I'd also love to try somebody else's, if anybody is willing to make one.

[Last edited by RoboBob3000 at 04-03-2006 05:32 AM]
04-03-2006 at 05:31 AM
silver
Rank Points: 915
The first (second) one was almost easy

The second I spent a lot of time on.

04-03-2006 at 07:11 AM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
The three puzzles look
to me ;)

04-03-2006 at 08:08 AM
Andy101
Rank Points: 222
Very enjoyable puzzles :thumbsup

I struggled a bit with the third puzzle but apart from that the others were fairly easy.

Having written a (very inefficient) program to investigate the puzzles I have discovered that on most of the puzzles the number of bombs condition can be dropped without having an effect on the uniqueness of the solution. However puzzle two does have interesting solutions using 9 or 18 bombs, they're not quite unique though.

[Last edited by Andy101 at 04-04-2006 12:24 AM]
04-04-2006 at 12:00 AM
RoboBob3000
Yeah, I figured that piece of information wasn't always necessary, but it's hard to draw the line here. I suppose inequalities in that department might trim down the set of solutions if it gets like that.

I just have to say that I am ceaselessly amazed that people on this forum can just write programs to do what they want at a whim. I took two semesters of C++ and still feel like I know nothing about programming.

04-04-2006 at 04:06 AM
Andy101
Rank Points: 222

File: Mindsweeper.PNG (9.3 KB)
Downloaded 92 times.
icon Re: Mindsweeper (+3)  
I've attached my first attempt at one of these puzzles. The hardest part in creating one definitely seems to be deciding what initial information to provide so that it can be solved without guessing. I would be interested to know if anyone can solve the attached puzzle without the information provided about the symmetry.

[Last edited by Andy101 at 04-06-2006 01:59 PM : Correcting appalling grammar]
04-06-2006 at 12:07 AM
bibelot
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 322
icon Re: Mindsweeper (+2)  
Here's a solution to Andy101's which doesn't use the symmetry condition. Label the rows by A through E, the columns by 1 through 5.

04-06-2006 at 06:03 AM
techant
Rank Points: 854
Until I looked at the first solution I didn't get what the rules were. Maybe make them a little clearer for those of us not players of the other games listed.

You said," Located around the board are the totals of the values of the squares in each row and column of the completed board. But you didn't add that the numbers in the squares represent the number of bombs adjacent to the square the number is placed in. If you add that I think it would be more clear to those who do not play MS mindsweep.

Now that I get how to play I think this is a great puzzle idea.

04-08-2006 at 02:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Nuntar wrote:
I managed to solve his third puzzle without the given zero in C5 and without assuming that the solution must be symmetrical (because if it wasn't it wouldn't be unique).
Excellent stuff! Just discovered this thread thanks to your update, but that's impressive :)

12-30-2007 at 05:07 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Mindsweeper (A puzzle experiment)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com