Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : New Hold: Dungeon of Spirals
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1721
IP: Logged

File: Dungeon of spirals.hold (11.3 KB)
Downloaded 127 times.
License: Other
icon New Hold: Dungeon of Spirals (0)  
I will warn you guys now that this is basically hack-and-slash, straightforward "that's so easy, but so tedious". I made it to show different spiral designs. Appreciate the art, please, and not necessarily the difficulty/boringness. That said, I hope you all can still enjoy the level.

07-19-2003 at 04:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tscott
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 382
icon Re: New Hold: Dungeon of Spirals (0)  
Wow, I can't believe I played the whole thing...

Click here to view the secret text

07-19-2003 at 10:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Okay, remember back when zex wanted macros to be implemented, or to press a button and have Beethro move as far as possible in that direction? No one listened, so he decided to make a level where you really wish you could have those options...

I thought about it the whole time, but it wasn't until I got to the wraithwing room that I really knew it must be the case!

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
07-19-2003 at 11:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I was slightly disappointed that the dungeon itself doesn't really make a spiral (ok, it is a spiral, but a somewhat trivial one). Three more rooms would have made it cooler.

The goblin room was my favourite, by the way. Oh, and I cheated a lot to get through this - thank god for debug commands and editing rights :)

07-19-2003 at 11:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
Eytanz--
I was going to have four additional rooms, but I'd run out of steam. I was planning to have a brain in the goblin room (the empty space in the middle) but it took up too much memory and stuff (check the bugs board for something about a memory-suck). And cheating is no fun!

Oneiro--
That wasn't me! I just got ideas :)

Tscott--
I warned you that it was tedious. :P

07-20-2003 at 12:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Re: New Hold: Dungeon of Spirals (0)  
zex20913 wrote:
And cheating is no fun!

Neither is killing 500 wraithwings, getting killed, and having to kill 500 wraitwings again :eyes

07-20-2003 at 12:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
icon Re: Re: New Hold: Dungeon of Spirals (0)  
Oneiromancer wrote:
Okay, remember back when zex wanted macros to be implemented, or to press a button and have Beethro move as far as possible in that direction? No one listened, so he decided to make a level where you really wish you could have those options...

I thought about it the whole time, but it wasn't until I got to the wraithwing room that I really knew it must be the case!

Macros was one of my requests, unless I missed the topic being raised before I was posting here.

Keyboard Macros

Not that I care about the attribution overly, I would just like very much to see it implemented, before my hands fall off :) I like DROD, and I like the new levels a whole lot. Some rooms however seem like implements of torture to me. And I don't mean that in the fun sense :eyes

Suggestions to hold designers

1) Provide a little warning if any rooms in your hold are going to require a whole lot of hack+slash. Credit to Zex for doing this.

2) Make the room optional

3) Make sure checkpoints are always readily available, so slip-ups don't mean repeating 5 minutes of repetitive actions. If it's a part of the room you know is boring, but somehow can't avoid including, don't be frugal, or devious in checkpoint placement. If necessary, redesign the room somewhat, in order that you can fit a checkpoint in, in a useful place.
07-20-2003 at 08:12 AM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
I apologize for the misattribution. :twak

Oh, and I quit at the tar level. It was really making my carpal tunnel act up. Maybe tomorrow I will be feeling better.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
07-20-2003 at 08:53 AM
Quath
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 17
I just played this hold. My fingers are aching. I did have a lot of fun even though some (ok quite a few) rooms had a lot of tedious fighting.

Quath
07-23-2003 at 05:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : New Hold: Dungeon of Spirals
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes