Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Editing drod.ini (I need transparent tar)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Atch
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 81
IP: Logged

File: MS-DOS EDIT.jpg (102.5 KB)
Downloaded 68 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Editing drod.ini (0)  
Well, it has taken over two years but, thanks to Stefan and wallu, I have finally reached Level 25 of Deep Hold. Unfortunately the entrance to this final level is the sort of room that can only give Drod a bad name – we are expected to clear an entire floor of trapdoors with walls etc, all almost completely covered by tar. I just lack the energy to mark out the walls with blobs of Blu-Tack on the screen or similarly by covering the screen with a sheet of Cellophane. So, time to implement Doom’s transparent tar mode – but I can’t get it to work.

I have placed the appropriate .tim files in the Bitmaps folder and can open drod.ini in Notepad, where the line: General=transparent is inserted, then save, but nothing happens.

The link in Doom’s first post on this matter is broken and I wondered if we should edit drod.ini in MS-DOS. The trouble is that I am not at all familiar with using MS-DOS and can’t get this to work either.

Could someone please have a look at the attached screenshot and tell me where I am going wrong? I will probably need to have the instruction fully written out and shall be very grateful.

03-25-2006 at 03:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1129
icon Re: Editing drod.ini (+2)  
First, use the cd command to go to the directory of DROD.INI.

cd \\Progra~1\\DROD-J~1\\Data
(strange, but that's DOS.)

Then, type

edit drod.ini

I really don't DOS is necessary for this, though.

[Last edited by Pinnacle at 03-25-2006 03:52 PM]
03-25-2006 at 03:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: Editing drod.ini (+2)  
This isn't the first time someone is having problems with this. You don't need to go to dos and I don't think that it will really make any difference.

Having the line in Drod.ini and the *.tim and the image files in Data/Bitmaps directory should be enough. Note that you shouldn't be running DROD when making the changes to drod.ini. They won't stay if you do that.

I've fixed the link in that post now.
03-25-2006 at 04:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Atch
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 81
icon Re: Editing drod.ini (+1)  
Many thanks Pinnacle and Doom, it works now - have a couple of mod points each.

I was going wrong by having DROD running as I made the changes.

Your command for making the change in MS-DOS, Pinnacle, was for the JtRH Demo. The command for the full version is:

cd\\Progra~1\\DROD-J~2\\Data

Back to Deep Hold!
03-25-2006 at 04:27 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Atch wrote:
Your command for making the change in MS-DOS, Pinnacle, was for the JtRH Demo. The command for the full version is:

Or, before anyone else goes through this - just edit the INI file with Notepad, the editor that comes with Windows; double clicking on the INI file in Explorer should be more than enough... :cool

np: Luke Vibert - Flyover (Lover's Acid)

03-25-2006 at 08:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Atch wrote:

Actually, they're both correct depending on how many folders you have name drod-j[something] in "program files". Each time windows needs to truncate a file/folder name it'll do so down to the first 5/6 digits, then add ~ number to ensure the name is unique if several files/folders share the same original 5 or 6 characters.

Looks like Pinnacle only has the full version installed, and you have the full version and the demo installed hence the difference.

Ideally, you should type:

cd "c:\\program files\\DROD Journey To The Rooted Hold" (or whatever the directory name is).

The double quotes allow spaces, and hence removes any ambiguity.
03-27-2006 at 01:43 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Editing drod.ini (I need transparent tar)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com