Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : High score uploading ((or, why does the spider hate me))
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Tahnan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2459
IP: Logged
icon High score uploading (0)  
So I was looking at the scores for Halph Has a Bad Day, to see how much I'd dropped once more people started finishing (I finished it earlyish, 7pm on 3/11 or thereabouts, according to the timestamp on my demo for the last room). I was a bit surprised to see that I had 40/42 high scores...and sure enough, I don't have high scores for "Deeper Underground", 1N2E or 2N1E.

In fact, I don't have any scores for those rooms, in spite of the fact that I've certainly cleared them, insofar as I've conquered the hold. Which makes me wonder: why aren't those scores/demos getting uploaded (or, perhaps, noticed by the spider)? I'm not sure when I last uploaded scores, but I know I've done so at least twice since 3/13.

The thing is, of course, I can't tell if this is a result of (a) a site bug, (b) a bug in JtRH that's exporting improperly, or (c) an error between chair and keyboard. Or just normal but veeeery slow spider operation. Thoughts?
03-25-2006 at 09:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5064
icon Re: High score uploading (+1)  
wallu wrote:
Sometime ago mrimer said that he will add a feature which allows you to send all demos in your profile. I have not seen/remember any later confirmation about this feature.
D'oh! I must have forgotten. This behavior is in 2.0.13. Just add
FullScoreUpload=1
to the [Startup] section of drod.ini and the next time a user clicks Upload My Scores the game will upload all of the user's demos.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 05-04-2006 04:05 PM]
03-25-2006 at 07:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: High score uploading (0)  
mrimer wrote:
Just add
FullScoreUpload=1
to the [Startup] section of drod.ini and the next time a user clicks Upload My Scores the game will upload all of the users demos.

Excellent! That did seem to do it. To double check: does clicking "Upload My Scores" also cause the drod.ini line to reset to 0? I think I saw that it did--when I went in to change it back after uploading--and it's probably very much the right thing for it to do, but I wanted to make sure that (a) I was right and (b) it was intentional.
03-27-2006 at 06:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Wow mrimer.... brilliant news!
I swear I got loads of demos in that state...

Could this info be stickied/locked/reiterated somewhere important?
I think there have been a lot of people with this sort of issue... and it's hard to detect (unless you meticulously double-check all your uploads)...
03-27-2006 at 06:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
(oops, I think I misunderstood something)

Oh yeah, this will be very useful to some people. I'm also with advertising it a little more.

Edit: Okay, I went 1581 points up with an additional 308 high scores. Pretty much all of those were from KDD 2.0.

[Last edited by Doom at 03-28-2006 08:40 AM]
03-27-2006 at 08:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5383

If you listen really closely, you can hear the highscore spider weep.

03-28-2006 at 06:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Question - does the "upload all demos" function also upload other people's demos? The reason I'm asking is that I've noticed that I've looked at the "my scores" page and I have demos that still need to be verified but I haven't done any batch uploads. Could someone else have downloaded some demos of mine, then re-uploaded them accidentally with the new option?

03-28-2006 at 07:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Yeah, but earlier today I saw that I had 4 unverified scores out of 8 total. Now, it's 2 out of 5400 or so. I guess it's possible 2 of my scores were verified before the 5392 other ones were added to the queue, but these are weird values.

03-28-2006 at 07:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
eytanz wrote:
Could someone else have downloaded some demos of mine, then re-uploaded them accidentally with the new option?
No. Well... If there IS a bug there, then the uploader would have been credited with your demos. So no, you don't see 2 of 5400 because of someone else uploading your demos.
Yeah, but earlier today I saw that I had 4 unverified scores out of 8 total. Now, it's 2 out of 5400 or so. I guess it's possible 2 of my scores were verified before the 5392 other ones were added to the queue, but these are weird values.
The spider gives preference to batch-uploaded demos. So if you play another room now, I believe you'd see 3 out of 5xxx until the spider got through the 5K batch-uploaded demos.

03-28-2006 at 07:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
eytanz
Ah, that makes sense.

03-28-2006 at 07:38 AM
md5i
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 109
Schik wrote:
The spider gives preference to batch-uploaded demos. So if you play another room now, I believe you'd see 3 out of 5xxx until the spider got through the 5K batch-uploaded demos.
I would suggest that this is the wrong preference for the spider to make. I would prefer that singular demos have perference, so that the interactivity of recieving high score messages in the game is not overly encumbered.

Unless, of course, I am misunderstanding the situation.

03-28-2006 at 07:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
I've just been playing and I can say that just played scores are being uploaded and nth place messages are being received.
03-28-2006 at 09:07 AM
Syntax
Hey,

Was wondering how this feature would affect the upload stats ;)

Anyhows, I did a full upload last night (1762 odd demos), and the spider kicked in around 19:30 and eventually processed all of them.

I had stored my existing stats for comparaison. Hit F5. No change... :( *However* I know there are levels for which I have a local demo which doesn't appear online. One example is "Jo's First Hold" 1st floor 5W - I have a local 36 move demo. I can find others when I get home in 6 hours, but would it be possible to see whether this demo was submitted last night, and if so, why it didn't get loaded?

I wasn't expecting as huge an amount as Doom, but definitely *at least one*.

I can also confirm that whilst playing and whilst the spider was trawling, the "nth level" messages were appearing. I don't think the spider verifies the demo before issuing the "nth level" message though... It would however eventually delete the demo if it was invalid. Am I right?
03-28-2006 at 01:42 PM
Schik
md5i wrote:
Schik wrote:
I would suggest that this is the wrong preference for the spider to make. I would prefer that singular demos have perference, so that the interactivity of recieving high score messages in the game is not overly encumbered.

Unless, of course, I am misunderstanding the situation.
You are misunderstanding. The difference is that scores that are uploaded while playing the game are accepted to be valid by default... but marked as needed to be verified. Scores that are batch uploaded are marked as unknown validity, and only added to the highscores page once the spider says they're ok.

So this doesn't affect getting feedback as you play.

03-28-2006 at 02:34 PM
Schik
Syntax wrote:
I had stored my existing stats for comparaison. Hit F5. No change... :( *However* I know there are levels for which I have a local demo which doesn't appear online. One example is "Jo's First Hold" 1st floor 5W - I have a local 36 move demo. I can find others when I get home in 6 hours, but would it be possible to see whether this demo was submitted last night, and if so, why it didn't get loaded?
I do not see a demo for you (I can see the deleted ones) for that room.

03-28-2006 at 02:43 PM
Syntax
Ok thanks!

Will raise as a bug...
03-28-2006 at 05:38 PM
Hikari
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 438
So, um... what're we supposed to do to get this function dropped into our drod.ini if said drod.ini doesn't appear to have a [Startup] section in it?

Edit: oh wait, common sense answer is, we *make* one. :/ Go me with my lack of common sense.

[Last edited by Hikari at 03-31-2006 12:42 AM]
03-30-2006 at 10:52 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : High score uploading ((or, why does the spider hate me))
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com