Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Slow? (Yes, slow!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
IP: Logged
icon Slow? (0)  
I was making a cup of coffee, waiting for JtRH to change between screens, and got to thinking, "What the hell happened to the speed up between screens that came with one of the patches?"
It's ridiculously slow most times, with nothing appearing to happen for anything between 10 and 30 seconds, with 100% CPU usage. Not even an egg timer at times, and if I click somewhere else, then back on JtRH, I get "Not Responding" in the title bar, though it does respond eventually. It's become very frustrating, so much so that I went and played another game* for a week.

*(Sniper Elite if you must know. Not usually my type of game, but I'm enjoying this one.)
03-23-2006 at 10:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tuttle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1545
icon Re: Slow? (+1)  
Does it still do it if you don't connect to CaravelNet? I get this at work a fair bit, but it's usually at lunchtime when our Internet connection is being hammered. I've always assumed it was just waiting for the server or something.
03-23-2006 at 12:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
bandit1200
icon Re: Slow? (0)  
Hah! I never thought of telling JtRH not to connect to see if that side of things was OK. Yes, it's definitely happening when it's connected to CaravelNet. It was OK for a while after the patch that speeded things up, but it's slowed drastically. Now I need to find out why. Thanks.
03-23-2006 at 04:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mouse
Rank Points: 246
Mine slows down generally if I have used ALT-TAB to look at something else (such as the hints board :) ) while playing...

And the more times I do that, the slower it gets.

[Last edited by Mouse at 03-23-2006 09:44 PM]
03-23-2006 at 09:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
chowyunbrent
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 54
Mouse wrote:
Mine slows down generally if I have used ALT-TAB to look at something else (such as the hints board :) ) while playing...

And the more times I do that, the slower it gets.

Yeah I've noticed the same thing.

- www.myspace.com/wintermuteband
- www.myspace.com/ilovetheisles
03-24-2006 at 12:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Bombadil
Rank Points: 509
Mouse wrote:

That has an easy solution... stop looking to the hints board.
03-24-2006 at 07:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bandit1200
Oddly enough, after I turned Caravelnet off in the settings, then back on again, it seems to have speeded up quite a bit.
03-24-2006 at 08:12 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
bandit1200 wrote:
I was making a cup of coffee, waiting for JtRH to change between screens, and got to thinking, "What the hell happened to the speed up between screens that came with one of the patches?"
It's ridiculously slow most times, with nothing appearing to happen for anything between 10 and 30 seconds, with 100% CPU usage. Not even an egg timer at times, and if I click somewhere else, then back on JtRH, I get "Not Responding" in the title bar, though it does respond eventually. It's become very frustrating, so much so that I went and played another game* for a week.

*(Sniper Elite if you must know. Not usually my type of game, but I'm enjoying this one.)

totally offtopic here, but you do know what starforce is? and that sniper elite has it?
(starforce has been known to do strange things to computers)
03-24-2006 at 11:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
NiroZ wrote:
totally offtopic here, but you do know what starforce is? and that sniper elite has it? (starforce has been known to do strange things to computers)
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

Could we please keep the "Starforce killed my dog, ate my children and fscked my PC" meme out of at least this forum? I'm still waiting for real proof of it doing any real harm outside of "angry mob"-type web sites.

For the record: I never had a single problem with it and wherever I look, someone quotes the same old tired web site... :rolleyes

And here I thought I was safe from all this... :~(

EDIT: Also, I'd love to hear an explanation how StarForce should be able to make DROD appear to hang while it's waiting for an answer from CaravelNet...

np: Isolée - Rockers (Western Store)

[Last edited by Briareos at 03-25-2006 11:04 AM]
03-25-2006 at 11:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
StarForce breaks Y2K.

It's totally true.

03-25-2006 at 01:34 PM
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
Briareos wrote: I'm still waiting for real proof of it doing any real harm outside of "angry mob"-type web sites.
Some of this is probably just people getting worked up over the philosophy of it (which I generally consider to be an exceptionally bad one, but let's not derail this thread too much), but there are real, actual problems with it too. A friend of mine had some problems with his computer after installing StarForce (the CD drive didn't read or write correctly, for example). All problems went away after StarForce was uninstalled, and nothing else was modified in the mean time. I was there at the time.

- Gerry
03-25-2006 at 04:56 PM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
My DROD has also started running slowly. Mainly when changing room, uploading demos, downloading demos, and changing location.
03-25-2006 at 05:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
masonjason
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 349
Bombadil wrote:
Mouse wrote:

That has an easy solution... stop looking to the hints board.

There's an easier solution even if you don't want to compromise your access to hints, too. Run windowed. The window can be pretty big if you like.

03-25-2006 at 05:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Swivel
Rank Points: 236
I use a Windows 98 in the computer sans internet in my room and it seems to work fine. As masonjason said, set your PC's display to 1024 by 768 and don't use full screen. It's useful in switching between applications, even though the longer that you have DROD as the foremost window, the longer it will take to switch.

I know how it feels to have a slow computer. Spyware and other maladies did hit my computer with internet for some time. bandit1200, if you have windows, checking your Add/Remove program list for suspicious stuff is actually very helpful. (Note to self: DROD is not a suspicious program!)

Running other programs, like OpenOffice, Firefox, and MidiNotate, can cause my upstairs DROD to spontaneously crash while changing rooms, downloading large holds and player files, and going in or out of Play or Build mode. But I'll keep it anyway.
03-25-2006 at 08:55 PM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Briareos wrote:
EDIT: Also, I'd love to hear an explanation how StarForce should be able to make DROD appear to hang while it's waiting for an answer from CaravelNet...

that is why i said compleatly offtopic.

fyi starforce somehow managed to crash my computer at random intervils, and when ever i did a de-frag.

and for further proof, check out how starforce have reacted.
(like that rigged contest)

[Last edited by NiroZ at 03-26-2006 04:03 AM]
03-26-2006 at 04:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jamie
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 365
Swivel wrote:
I use a Windows 98 in the computer sans internet in my room and it seems to work fine. As masonjason said, set your PC's display to 1024 by 768 and don't use full screen. It's useful in switching between applications, even though the longer that you have DROD as the foremost window, the longer it will take to switch.

I know how it feels to have a slow computer. Spyware and other maladies did hit my computer with internet for some time. bandit1200, if you have windows, checking your Add/Remove program list for suspicious stuff is actually very helpful. (Note to self: DROD is not a suspicious program!)

Running other programs, like OpenOffice, Firefox, and MidiNotate, can cause my upstairs DROD to spontaneously crash while changing rooms, downloading large holds and player files, and going in or out of Play or Build mode. But I'll keep it anyway.

If it's an old computer stick linux or freebsd on it. My dads old computer running windows98 took about 20 seconds to change screen in jtrh.. That was changed to under a second running in in FreeBSD.

Linux/Freebsd and a light desktop can breathe life into an old computer.. And you can get firefox and openoffice too :)

03-26-2006 at 06:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Agreed. My 450mhz box actually feels remotely fast when used with Ubuntu + KDE. It'd probably be even faster if I used XFCE instead, buit I like the eye candy. :)

03-26-2006 at 06:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Slow? (Yes, slow!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com