Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Compiling AE to SHARP Zaurus
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
merli
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 20
IP: Logged
icon Compiling AE to SHARP Zaurus (+1)  
Hello all
I would like to compile DROD AE to ARM linux based PDA Sharp Zaurus C1000. Can anyone willing to help me with that task? Which sources shoud I download and what datafiles should I use and so on ...

Thank you very much for help.

Merli
03-01-2006 at 11:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Compiling AE to SHARP Zaurus (0)  
Merli, I assume you've already looked at the build documentation on SourceForge. You should post specific questions when you run into problems.

Does Merli need that special pod_char_traits.h file to build AE or can he use a more recent version of libstd?

-Erik

03-01-2006 at 08:49 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
merli
Hello Erik and all who are willing to help

First I'd like to know which sources should I download to freely distribute my build. I want to build Caravel DROD Architect Edition which I think it is fully opensource with data files. Can I use data from that version with sources 2.0.10 or I have to compile from old sources from sourceforge download?

Thanks for any info or help. First I just gathering information where to start.

Info on Zaurus. It is ARM 416Mhz based PDA with screen 640x480/16bit. I am using normal X-windows distribution named pdaXrom www.pdaxrom.org) so I think DROD _shoul_ run on that platform.

merli
03-02-2006 at 08:36 AM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
merli wrote:
...which sources should I download to freely distribute my build. I want to build Caravel DROD Architect Edition which I think it is fully opensource with data files. Can I use data from that version with sources 2.0.10 or I have to compile from old sources from sourceforge download?
The 2.0 source won't work with the DROD AE data files. Well, maybe some of them but not others. For example, the AE music won't play in 2.0. Also, almost all of the graphics are a different size. You could try to use the 2.0 source, but a lot of the various media interfaces would have to be retrofitted. It would probably take a lot of time and I wouldn't recommend it.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 03-02-2006 09:55 PM]
03-02-2006 at 09:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
merli
Hello

So please advice me which sources from 1.x version are latest and should I download and play with them (and of course will compile on Linux)?

So far I downloaded 1354973 drod_relicense.zip from sourceforge, not from CVS.

Thnx

03-03-2006 at 08:22 AM
merli
Downloaded Caravel DROD from CVS ... going to play...
03-03-2006 at 09:20 AM
merli
First problem ... Tried to compile BacEndLibs but error in Files.cpp

DepComp ../../BackEndLib/Files.cpp
../../BackEndLib/Files.cpp: In static member function `static bool CFiles::IsValidPath(const WCHAR*)':
../../BackEndLib/Files.cpp:1278: error: ambiguous overload for 'operator==' in '(&i)->__gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<_Iterator, _Container>::operator* [with _Iterator = WCHAR*, _Container = std::basic_string<WCHAR, std::char_traits<WCHAR>, std::allocator<WCHAR> >]() == wszSlash[0]'
../../BackEndLib/CharTraits.h:36: note: candidates are: bool operator==(__gnu_cxx::character<T, I, mbstate_t>, U) [with T = WCHAR_t, I = int, U = __gnu_cxx::character<WCHAR_t, int, mbstate_t>]
../../ext/pod_char_traits.h:80: note: bool __gnu_cxx::operator==(const __gnu_cxx::character<V, I, S>&, const __gnu_cxx::character<V, I, S>&) [with V = WCHAR_t, I = int, S = mbstate_t]
../../BackEndLib/Files.cpp:1281: error: ambiguous overload for 'operator==' in '(&wstrDirPath)->std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>::operator[] [with _CharT = WCHAR, _Traits = std::char_traits<WCHAR>, _Alloc = std::allocator<WCHAR>](((&wstrDirPath)->std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>::size [with _CharT = WCHAR, _Traits = std::char_traits<WCHAR>, _Alloc = std::allocator<WCHAR>]() - 1u)) == wszSlash[0]'
../../BackEndLib/CharTraits.h:36: note: candidates are: bool operator==(__gnu_cxx::character<T, I, mbstate_t>, U) [with T = WCHAR_t, I = int, U = __gnu_cxx::character<WCHAR_t, int, mbstate_t>]
../../ext/pod_char_traits.h:80: note: bool __gnu_cxx::operator==(const __gnu_cxx::character<V, I, S>&, const __gnu_cxx::character<V, I, S>&) [with V = WCHAR_t, I = int, S = mbstate_t]
make[2]: *** [custom/obj/BackEndLib/Files.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [BackEndLib-custom] Error 2
make: *** [drod-custom] Error 2
03-03-2006 at 01:58 PM
merli
icon Re: Compiling AE to SHARP Zaurus (+2)  
For compilers of Caravel DROD

you have to have pod_char_traits.h downloaded from
http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewcvs/gcc/gcc/libstdc++-v3/include/ext/pod_char_traits.h

version 1.1 does not work
version 1.4 works
version 1.5.48.2 does not work
version 1.8 does not work

continue compiling ... stay tuned :-)

03-03-2006 at 03:06 PM
merli
Hello

Found another problem. Problem regarding fmod library. Library does not have source code open so I cannot compile library for ARM Linux, so I cannot use fmod.h. I'd like to use SDL_mixer, but I mentioned that Sound.cpp and Sound.h in version 1.x of Drod is not ready for SDL_mixer. I make workarount by #define __sgi which IMHO turns sound off. I want to ask if is it safe to use 2.x Sound.cpp and Sound.h (which is ready for SDL_mixer) with 1.x sources of Drod. Othewise I won't have sound.

Thnx for help.
Merli
03-04-2006 at 12:12 PM
mrimer
merli wrote:
Hello

Found another problem. Problem regarding fmod library. Library does not have source code open so I cannot compile library for ARM Linux, so I cannot use fmod.h. I'd like to use SDL_mixer, but I mentioned that Sound.cpp and Sound.h in version 1.x of Drod is not ready for SDL_mixer. I make workarount by #define __sgi which IMHO turns sound off. I want to ask if is it safe to use 2.x Sound.cpp and Sound.h (which is ready for SDL_mixer) with 1.x sources of Drod. Othewise I won't have sound.
Ah, true. I think you should be able to use the 2.0 Sound.* files, changing API calls here and there (and maybe using 2.0 DROD/DrodSound.* also). Note, however, that in these the music playback is altered so the 1.6 music files aren't supported at all (replaced by sampled music support, e.g. ogg, wav, mp3). Maybe you could add these functions from the 1.6 code back in, but I'm not sure what complications you might run into.

03-04-2006 at 07:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
merli

File: zaurus_drod.jpg (342.2 KB)
Downloaded 75 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Compiling AE to SHARP Zaurus (+5)  
Finally compiled it ....... and it runs!!! :D look at the attached picture

There are some problems with character strings and still I dont know what I will do with sound but it works. A bit slower but defintelly playable.
One question. Can be 2.x DROD tweeked to run on 640x480 screen? If yes I would port it also.

Merli
03-06-2006 at 05:56 AM
mrimer
icon Re: Compiling AE to SHARP Zaurus (+1)  
merli wrote:
Finally compiled it ....... and it runs!!! :D look at the attached picture
Wow, that's excellent! :thumbsup I'm sure it was no small endeavour.
Can be 2.x DROD tweeked to run on 640x480 screen? If yes I would port it also.
Hmmm...it could be as long as appropriate-size image files are provided for everything. Tile size would be shrunk to 14x14 and many of the widget classes would have to be tweaked to use the DROD:AE dimensions (use the 1.6 source for reference)...but that might be about it. Maybe not too much work to do this.

[Last edited by mrimer at 03-06-2006 06:15 AM]
03-06-2006 at 06:12 AM
merli

File: screen1.gif (39.8 KB)
Downloaded 40 times.
License: Public Domain
I have just some errors when runnig DROD. Some characters are not visible and on console I see repeating error.

DROD:Assertion error in line 723 of ../../DRODLib/DbBase.cpp: "dwNewMessageTextLen == WCSlen(pwczNewMessageText)"

Please can you check what this error means and how in can be fixed? I am not c++ programmer so I don't know how and where.

Another error is that dialog where you input player name allows you to enter only 1 character. You cannot assign player name "Player" only "P" is available.

Attached is screenshot of missing and meesed characters in text
03-07-2006 at 11:12 AM
merli
Found another small error. Cannot delete player from database.
I will delete it, through game it seems to be deleted but after quit and start game again is there! Any clue?

merli
03-07-2006 at 02:19 PM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Merli, I congratulate you on the progress you've made, but I'm a little worried when you say that you are "not a C++ programmer". These error messages that come up are going to need to be debugged by somebody that can get into the code and see what's going on. It's no good to just post what error messages or bugs you see, because most of the time we wouldn't know the answer without debugging on your environment.

So for example, to see what the problem is with deleting the player from the database you might look through the code called for deleting the player in a debugger or add logging to check for execution reaching certain points and variables containing certain expected data.

I don't mean to discourage you and I'm not giving up on you, but to make it through this port, you'll have to do some troubleshooting at the programming level.

-Erik

03-08-2006 at 02:53 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
AlefBet
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 979
Incidentally, how did you get a hold of your Zaurus? (Or are you in the Far East?) I've been hoping to get a Linux-based PDA for a while (especially with a microdrive), but I'm a bit put off by the fact that they're only marketed in Japan, and I'd have to buy from a potentially unreliable third party (at a mark up).

++Adam H. Peterson

[Last edited by AlefBet at 03-08-2006 07:31 AM]
03-08-2006 at 07:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580
[pod_char_traits.h]
merli wrote:
version 1.4 works
Gyargh. What version of pod_char_traits.h is included with your libstdc++, and what version of g++/libstdc++ is that ?

- Gerry
03-08-2006 at 04:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
merli
AlefBet wrote:
Incidentally, how did you get a hold of your Zaurus? (Or are you in the Far East?) I've been hoping to get a Linux-based PDA for a while (especially with a microdrive), but I'm a bit put off by the fact that they're only marketed in Japan, and I'd have to buy from a potentially unreliable third party (at a mark up).

I am from Slovakia middle of Europe. There are many ways to get Zaurus C1000,3100,3200.
1) Ditectly from Japan http://pricejapan.com
2) I got my from www.pulster.de
3) There is also trisoft.de
4) Another one is in UK. (don't remember web right now)

It is GREAT machine and I am happy to have it.
03-08-2006 at 08:33 PM
merli
trick wrote:
[pod_char_traits.h]
merli wrote:
version 1.4 works
Gyargh. What version of pod_char_traits.h is included with your libstdc++, and what version of g++/libstdc++ is that ?

- Gerry

You are !!! I am an idiot! I have pod_char_traits.h with my devel version libstdc++ and it differs from version I used to compile. Maybe that's the problem game has some problems. I am recompiling source right now and I will report progress. Stay tuned.

Why then all doccuments says that I have to download that file???
I am using gcc 3.4.5 and libstdcxx 5.0.5

Merli

03-08-2006 at 08:49 PM
merli
Recompiled with pod_char_traits.h from my libstdc++, but errors are same. :-( When I will have more time I try to look into code.
So far it is playable and I enjoy to play DROD on my Zaurus.

Still I would like to make "perfect port" so I will look also into Sound.cpp and Sound.h from version 2.0.9 and 1.6 and find out how to convert Sound to use sdl_mixer library. What I think is that both routines would do almost same work :-)

Merli

03-09-2006 at 07:34 AM
wmarkham
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 125
I'm not sure if it will help, but here is a link to the patches that I wrote a while ago to get AE running on a PowerPC:

http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=5367#56635

Most of these dealt with "endianness", which I am guessing is not a problem on your processor. However, there could be something else in there that is helpful to you.

Weston
04-12-2006 at 04:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1218
Well, what can I say.

I've been coding for 20 years, and never before have I seen so many talented, helpful coders in all my life (most of them won't speak to you without charging 35 quid). The DROD community continues to amaze me (and I wish I could help with this, but haven't touched C for approx 12 years though it is my mother tongue so keen to get into DROD development per say).

But hell... the talent is already there.

(Though time is obviously an issue)
04-14-2006 at 09:03 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Compiling AE to SHARP Zaurus
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes