Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Challenges : Optimise This!: UAC : The Organised Dungeon : 1 East
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Rabscuttle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2460
IP: Logged
icon Optimise This!: UAC : The Organised Dungeon : 1 East (+1)  

Unfortunate Architect Compilation : The Organised Dungeon : 1 East

High Score Page

It's hold #10 from the main level.

Exterminate each evil eye efficiently!
02-28-2006 at 09:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
icon Re: Optimise This!: UAC : The Organised Dungeon : 1 East (0)  
Current Best: LarryMurk - 484
02-28-2006 at 09:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
icon Re: Optimise This!: UAC : The Organised Dungeon : 1 East (+1)  
OK, 436, but there's a lot of room for improvement. Larry's approach (except for the pussyfooting ;) ) looks pretty much like the best way to go about it. Something to try would be to avoid going all the way back into the middle section after clearing the eyes at the top. That crumbly wall in the middle means you have to go at least halfway.

[Last edited by michthro at 02-28-2006 11:01 AM]
02-28-2006 at 10:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mikko
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 276
Wohoo, my first ever #1 score at 415!

[Last edited by Mikko at 02-28-2006 11:23 AM]
02-28-2006 at 11:23 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
michthro
Well done! Even better than my idea - don't clear the eyes at the top first. Now let's get it under 400.

EDIT: Make that 350. Down to 369 now, but still a long way to go. Sorry Mikko.

[Last edited by michthro at 02-28-2006 11:59 AM]
02-28-2006 at 11:32 AM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: Optimise This!: UAC : The Organised Dungeon : 1 East (+2)  
Yeah! Under 350 moves now (347). My and michtro's demos have only 3-move difference, but they're using almost completely different styles. I tried myself to reach the orb and get back fast as fast as possible, while Michthro cleared large part of the evil eyes on the first time through the large area. It's definitely hard to find the best style in rooms like this.

There's definitely some more room for improvement with some patience and experimenting different routes.

edit: 2 more moves off to 345
edit: 3 more moves off to 342 - This route is beginning to get hard to improve.

[Last edited by Doom at 02-28-2006 06:31 PM]
02-28-2006 at 02:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dali
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 174
My best performance is 400 moves right now.
I advice to anyone to replay the saved position (in various checkpoints) to hope make better score.

[Last edited by Dali at 02-28-2006 06:00 PM : score improved]
02-28-2006 at 02:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Just to let you all know, the page has been up, up, and updated! The summary for the last one has also been put up, but it was based on Rabscuttle's post, so it may be outdated. Let me know if there's a problem.

03-01-2006 at 05:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
michthro
The link for the previous room goes to the forum thread. Shouldn't it rather go to the summary?
03-02-2006 at 11:11 AM
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
Some of the other rooms in this level have been fun to optimise.

There's an interesting goblin trapping technique in 1S1E, which makes it quite a bit quicker to round them up. Not sure if I've got the optimal solution, but I'm quite pleased with myself anyway, as I've not seen this 'trick' before (at least in this guise) Stumbled on it by accident of course.

Michthro got a great optimisation for 1S, but didn't try *quite* hard enough, so I knocked 2 moves off ;) I think there might just be 1 more.

I think the roach queens in the SE corner of 1S1W act as a natural limiter for the optimal solution (spawning more roaches if you start clearing them sooner, up to a certain limit) I can't get better than 545, even if I reach there sooner.

[Last edited by StuartK at 03-04-2006 02:42 AM]
03-04-2006 at 02:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
StuartK wrote:
Some of the other rooms in this level have been fun to optimise.

Best praise ever :D

There's quite a number of unintended solutions floating in there - Larry's breakage of my tar-mother-required lock is I think the least annoying (as it was not such an obvious an error on my part)

There's an interesting goblin trapping technique in 1S1E, which makes it quite a bit quicker to round them up. Not sure if I've got the optimal solution, but I'm quite pleased with myself anyway, as I've not seen this 'trick' before (at least in this guise) Stumbled on it by accident of course.

Nice :)

Michthro got a great optimisation for 1S, but didn't try *quite* hard enough, so I knocked 2 moves off ;) I think there might just be 1 more.

Yep. You have to reduce the '1' snake to length 2, so as to get it into the bottom at the right time. My solution has that serpent on a 20 length loop for the majority of the time - I think it's possible to knock off 10 more moves if the serpent enters the loop on the opposite side (if you get my drift)

*edit: nope, getting the snake on the other end of the loop ends up being one move short :( *

Has anyone actually solved that room by the intended solution? (which is
Click here to view the secret text
)

==

Oh yeah, 1E.

I've said it before somewhere, but the annoying thing about optimising evil eyes is that because you have to be careful when you wake them up, every step can be important.

Just made 343 :/ I tackled the NW EEs in a slightly different way to Doom and michthro and ended up with a NE sword on the first checkpoint. Odds are it makes very little difference :)

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 03-04-2006 01:12 PM]
03-04-2006 at 09:44 AM
Rabscuttle
339!

What would be helpful is if we could tell which move a demo was up to. That would make it easy to compare differences between different sections.
03-04-2006 at 10:36 AM
StuartK
Well I'll be. Don't know if there's any mileage left in it, but it's been fun competing with Michthro in 1S1W. I was wrong about the 545 score of course, and we've gone quite a few rounds proving that ;)
03-06-2006 at 09:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
michthro
StuartK wrote:
Don't know if there's any mileage left in it, but it's been fun competing with Michthro in 1S1W.
Your turn. ;)
03-06-2006 at 11:48 AM
michthro
I'm pretty sure Rabscuttle's 339 is optimal. I wouldn't bet on it, but it's going to be very hard to beat. So which room is next? Doom, I think you're supposed to choose.
03-06-2006 at 11:58 AM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
michthro wrote:
So which room is next? Doom, I think you're supposed to choose.
I thought I'd suggest something from Fun Park, but it looks like those rooms have already been played a lot. They might've been pretty good otherwise. I'll have to look at them later to see if there's any room for improvement in any of those.

Other than that, I don't really have anything in mind at the moment. It's hard to think of good rooms that haven't been played like crazy already.
03-06-2006 at 12:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
michthro wrote:
StuartK wrote:
Don't know if there's any mileage left in it, but it's been fun competing with Michthro in 1S1W.
Your turn. ;)

I can get to the final section earlier, but I don't think it will help.

It sure is annoying when the checkpoint is in an inconvenient spot. :angry

edit: It did help. I think.
:/

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 03-06-2006 02:01 PM]
03-06-2006 at 01:23 PM
michthro
Rabscuttle wrote:
It sure is annoying when the checkpoint is in an inconvenient spot. :angry
Yeah, if only some architects knew more about optimising. O:-
03-06-2006 at 01:57 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Why not Odd Jobs? The expert rooms can be brutal.
03-07-2006 at 01:42 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
StuartK
'Brutal' doesn't necessarily translate directly to 'good candidate for optimising' especially when the correct solution to a room is confined to one pathway through it. There may be optimisations along that pathway, but that doesn't mean it would be an interesting room to optimise.

Not saying that's the case with Oddjobs, but good optimisation candidates can be harder to find than simply looking for difficult rooms.
03-07-2006 at 07:57 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Challenges : Optimise This!: UAC : The Organised Dungeon : 1 East
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com