Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : View Smilies option
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Mikko
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 276
IP: Logged
icon View Smilies option (+1)  
I think it's great that this forum lets the users choose not to view signatures. I've used this option since it was introduced. There is, however, another thing that annoys me about many posts. Actually, there are several things that annoy me, but this post is about one of them. The excessive use of smilies. In fact, I often feel that even one per post is too much. The Post Icon can be used to indicate sarcasm and such if necessary. I know that I have myself occasionally used smilies, so I'm not saying that I'm in any way flawless in this regard (or any other for that matter).

What I would like is a "View Smilies" option in the profile. Having it unselected would hide all the smilies when viewing posts. I have no idea how the forum software works, so I don't know if this is a feasible request or not. If it is, I would highly appreciate its implementation.
02-24-2006 at 11:21 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2460
icon Re: View Smilies option (+1)  
:thumbsup
02-24-2006 at 01:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
Would option c (middle ground) where the text is displayed as it is in email, without the graphical smileys, but the smiley text still there be acceptable? That would possibly be easier to implement, and you wouldn't lose that potentially useful (if smileys are used properly, and in moderation) emotional context.

/still working on toning down my use of smileys - I know I can over-rely on them. For long posts, first drafts are always peppered with them, and I do prefer to use actual words to impart emotion where I can, though it takes me much longer to get the tone right.

[Last edited by StuartK at 02-25-2006 11:45 PM]
02-25-2006 at 11:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
On a similar note, another good thing would be an option to replace images with links to images.
02-26-2006 at 03:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
I still want a feature implemented wherein if you actually post and use the head explosion smiley, you automatically lose a rank point.
02-27-2006 at 09:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
icon Re: View Smilies option (0)  
:blowup

You were literally *begging* for it, so who am I to say no? And count your blessings: had it been someone else than me, you would have ended up with multiple exploding heads, or even a whole army of them.

I second the "let's hide those smileys. Please" motion. Having all posts displayed as in plain text emails is also fine with me, and may also disable other annoying features. Secret tags and the like should stay the way they are, though.

[Last edited by Alneyan at 02-27-2006 09:13 PM]
02-27-2006 at 10:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
icon Re: View Smilies option (0)  
I'm completely against the "hide all smileys" option. Not everyone is so good as Banjooie, who can posts without a smiley. * jealous *

Besides, it's already been said in that other post that it's very hard to detect whether a post is sarcastic or not. Getting rid of smileys will only make it harder. I just don't want to see another one of the "Modding Down Banjooie" theory.

I'd prefer the option ":blowup" instead of :blowup. At least that does not change someone's message.

02-27-2006 at 09:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : View Smilies option
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com