Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Press Clippings : DROD Review on Inside Mac Games. (If this keeps up, we might need a "Press Mentions" board.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon DROD Review on Inside Mac Games. (+2)  
We got one of our most positive and well-written reviews today on Inside Mac Games:

http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=667

Cheers to Michael Scarpelli!

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 02-17-2006 01:57 AM]
02-17-2006 at 01:00 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mscarpel
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 81
icon Re: DROD Review on Inside Mac Games. (+3)  
Man. I am super awesome.

Thankfully. So is DROD.

[Last edited by mscarpel at 02-17-2006 01:34 AM]
02-17-2006 at 01:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1978
icon Re: DROD Review on Inside Mac Games. (+1)  
Another nice review. I'm gonna have to go out and try this game someday. ;)

The downside to this is that access to the forum system requires a $12 per year CaravelNet membership. Before you start grumbling, though, that same membership gets you free access to three additional DROD level sets as well, amounting to well over 400 additional puzzle rooms to solve. It's actually a pretty sweet deal. Typically, each set of expansions in the gaming world would cost $15 on its own. To get all three plus the online equivalent of a strategy guide for $12 is a pretty great deal.

This is the one spot where the review missed the mark. The hints and solutions are accessable to everybody.

02-17-2006 at 01:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mscarpel
icon Re: DROD Review on Inside Mac Games. (0)  
Curses! Well, here's hoping that that misinformation generates some revenue for you guys then.

02-17-2006 at 01:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Don't worry, I don't think anyone gets the free/not-free differences completely right. :)

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 02-17-2006 02:07 AM]
02-17-2006 at 01:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
All these reviewers are good at finding the corresponding forum threads :smile I predict that Erik is the person to hold responsible.
There's no limit to the lives you can spend or the moves you can make tackling a problem, but it can take a long time to work through some puzzles. To have all that effort spoiled by a single misstep that sends you back to the start of it all can really be a downer.
I'm not completely sure, but did you know that you can undo death if you're fast enough? Or did you mean ending up in a situation where just one undo won't help?
02-17-2006 at 05:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
Speaking of press mentions, I heard from another forum that DROD is listed in Computer Gaming World's 101 free games article. I don't subscribe to the magazine, so I have no idea of the context. Can anyone who is a subscriber confirm?

02-17-2006 at 05:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mscarpel
icon Re: DROD Review on Inside Mac Games. (+4)  
I meant not being able to back up more than one move. Unlimited undo's likely makes the game too easy, but I find myself yearning for a variable undo. Maybe something along the difficulty level side of things (easy being 5 undo, hard being 1) or something like that.

But I clearly don't find it that big a deal. I mean, hell, I finished the review over a week ago and the only reason I popped on the forum just now was to look up a section I'm having a spot of trouble with in the game.

Erik... umm... Erik who? I totally don't, umm, know a guy named Erik. I found this post through my vast psychic powers. Vast.

02-17-2006 at 05:52 AM
Chalks
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 267
mscarpel wrote:
Vast.
:lol
02-17-2006 at 06:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Well I was going to cover the points above but first of all... may I say that was probably the most knowledgeable review I've read to date.

Just a few things:

• Kicks your butt hard in spots
• Very easy to ruin tons of hard work with a single missed keystroke
• No mouse control?

a) Agreed... hence the appeal ;)
b) Already covered above but would like to add the fact that if you *were* Beethro, there is a highly improbably chance that any creature would even let you undo one move.
c) Mouse ? You describe it as old school. That's what it is ;) Input devices aprt from a numeric keypad ? don't think so...

As an aside, and on the point of old school, I'm thinking "Chaos Engine" which I seem to remember being one of the first top-downs to get 10/10 in one of the Amiga mags of 19[89][912]. Agreed that the 70 degree angle was artistic genius, but I reckon DROD gfx could probably hit an 8.

But overall a brilliant analysis.

[And I apologise for my fixation on "olde skool" but those are the games I play, and have played for 23 years]
02-18-2006 at 12:00 AM
mscarpel
Yeah, to my mind the game has the right look and level of challenge, but my feeling on reviews is that they can't exist entirely in a vaccuum so I try to interject my impression within the body of the review, but the score and bullet points I try to tailor to a more aggregate audience.

If that makes sense.

I made most of that up right now, but I think it's a pretty fair transcription of a process that I usually just kind of unconsciously follow.

And not to counter gentle chiding with smart-assitude, I think that if I actually were Beethro, I'd be pretty amazed that after my umpteenth time being devoured by a cockroach I still start the room I was in sparkling fresh.

;)

[Last edited by mscarpel at 02-18-2006 12:58 AM]
02-18-2006 at 12:55 AM
Syntax
Ok... this is probably far-fetched, but maybe I'm bored.

Did you really write the review ?

Something is bugging me about the style of posts and the style within the review. You registered recently, yet haven't joined Caravel.net so how do you have an opinion of it ? Although the fact you don't mention the quarterly and inclusive SS holds falls in your favour. The other thing is:

"the way many of the enemies move are puzzles in and of themselves, but some enemies will follow you no matter how you move, some will only move if you trigger their sight and some have trouble following certain types of movement."

I assume by the latter statement that you're referring to golems which would which would be approx level 15. The eyesight thing refers to eyes which is a lot earlier (not sure which level but < 10 I think). Finally (and more importantly), the "follow you no matter how you move" would indicate brains... and they don't appear until level 20+ (?)

So how did you get that far in so short a time ?

And then there's the fact your signin name is a few characters shorter than your real name... is this a case of cyber-hijacking?

Yeah

Guess I must be bored...

Conspiracy!!! ;)

[Still the most knowledgleable review I've read to date :D]
02-18-2006 at 01:17 AM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Syntax wrote:
As an aside, and on the point of old school, I'm thinking "Chaos Engine" which I seem to remember being one of the first top-downs to get 10/10 in one of the Amiga mags of 19[89][912]. Agreed that the 70 degree angle was artistic genius, but I reckon DROD gfx could probably hit an 8.
Was it 70 degrees? I thought the floor to wall angle looked more like 100-130 degrees (which led to interesting instances of not being able to walk behind tall walls, even though it should have been possible).

02-18-2006 at 01:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Yeah... it was definitely 70 degrees. But from the vertical which is how I'd measure isometrics.

Sorry for the confusion about my lack of basis :)

It turns out that's 110 degrees from the x axis so we're both right.

Gotta love relativity ;)

[EDIT]

But imagine being the first artist to be told to draw 1200+ sprites at a 70 degree angle!

[Last edited by Syntax at 02-18-2006 01:26 AM]
02-18-2006 at 01:25 AM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Syntax wrote:
Did you really write the review ?
Man, if I was Michael, I'd be pretty offended by this.
Something is bugging me about the style of posts and the style within the review. You registered recently, yet haven't joined Caravel.net so how do you have an opinion of it?
He has a full subscription to CaravelNet...look at the trophy under all his posts. It says he's been through 25% of JtRH so far.
"the way many of the enemies move are puzzles in and of themselves, but some enemies will follow you no matter how you move, some will only move if you trigger their sight and some have trouble following certain types of movement."

I assume by the latter statement that you're referring to golems which would which would be approx level 15. The eyesight thing refers to eyes which is a lot earlier (not sure which level but < 10 I think). Finally (and more importantly), the "follow you no matter how you move" would indicate brains... and they don't appear until level 20+ (?)
Golems are level 6. Eyes are in a secret room as early as level 4. "Follow you no matter how you move" is clearly roaches, in my opinion.

Sorry, no real conspiracy here.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams

[Last edited by Oneiromancer at 02-18-2006 01:40 AM]
02-18-2006 at 01:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
No offense meant...
And I do apologise if that has occurred.

Just had a feeling it might have been the latest Drod challenge. I have always said it is the most knowledgeable review.

{Though moving in a direct line away from a roach which is against a wall will not cause it to move, unless there's a brain}

Anyways, all meant in jest
02-18-2006 at 01:46 AM
Oneiromancer
Well, I think you are reading a lot into "follow". In the situation you describe, the roach is heading straight for you. If the wall wasn't there, it would be able to reach you. If you move up or down, the roach tracks your every move as best it can. That sure seems like "following" to me. It is trying to get to you by the most direct path, without regard for anything in-between. Whereas a brained roach follows the shortest path that can actually reach you. I think if he really meant brained monsters, then he would have mentioned a monster that can make all monsters find the best path to you instead of what he said.

And I was never offended, since I'm not the person whom you suspect of pretending to be someone he isn't. I just wanted to point out the false logic and mistakes in your post.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
02-18-2006 at 01:59 AM
mscarpel
:D

Yeah, it was me. And no worries, I wasn't offended. I just assumed that the review was SO good you couldn't possibly believe it. Call it star-struck.

But yeah, as for movement-puzzle type monsters: snakes, golems and wubbas all have very clear movement patterns and this extends to the roaches as soon as Beethro has an invisibility potion and/or the timing of roach queens to contend with. These all start popping up pretty early on in the game. I could also content that the wisp is a part of that cadre of movement based "enemies" as well.

But yeah, if I was going to cyber-jack myself, I'd do outrageous things like claim I had psychic powers and pretend as I if I thought my own writing was awesome.

Hmmm... perhaps I am just impersonating myself...

Sounds like something right out of some Neil Gaiman, eh, Oneiro?

[Last edited by mscarpel at 02-18-2006 02:03 AM]
02-18-2006 at 02:00 AM
Syntax
Ok you passed the test ;)

No idea why I was supicious but I have just watched (partly), Sliding Doors (on TV UK) and I tell you this:

Nothing worse than a sloppy film... but one that makes you paranoid is a film you'll want to regret seeing.

Anyways,

That was the most knowledgeable review I've read thus so far.

(that k word gets harder to spell each time ;))

[EDIT]

Oh, and I agree with your first statement... It was the case indeed.

[EDIT later]

Erm... I'm back to being not convinced...
Your last posted stated this:
"if I was going to cyber-jack myself, I'd do outrageous things like claim I had psychic powers and pretend as I if I thought my own writing was awesome."

Now look at your first post:
"Man. I am super awesome."

;)

[Last edited by Syntax at 02-18-2006 02:21 AM]
02-18-2006 at 02:14 AM
Oneiromancer
mscarpel wrote:
Sounds like something right out of some Neil Gaiman, eh, Oneiro?
Sure, whatever you say. How do you know I'm not really Neil Gaiman after all? ;)

Game on,

02-18-2006 at 02:34 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I can confirm that CGW's free games listing has DROD, at the old site. It's also on 1UP, and they share a lot of their content. I always check these things when the articles turn up.

02-18-2006 at 02:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mscarpel
Just to clear any fog that may or may not be floating in the air... check the e-mail address for this account the one from the review. One and the same.

But I suppose a really focused conspiracy theorist would find that thin as well.

02-18-2006 at 02:52 AM
ErikH2000
icon Re: DROD Review on Inside Mac Games. (+2)  
mscarpel wrote:
check the e-mail address for this account the one from the review. One and the same.
Aw man! We know that you can change your e-mail to anything you want, i.e. billg@microsoft.com, pope@vatican.biz. I was all set to believe you were the real Michael Scarpelli, and then you had to say this.

-Erik

02-18-2006 at 03:08 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Syntax wrote:
As an aside, and on the point of old school, I'm thinking "Chaos Engine" which I seem to remember being one of the first top-downs to get 10/10 in one of the Amiga mags of 19[89][912].
There still were Amiga mags in 1999? :w00t

No fair - I had to exchange my Atari ST for a PC around that time due to lack of ST magazines... (or maybe it was my computer sciences studies - I can't quite remember... :D)

np: Bigg Jus - It Luvs Me (Black Mamba Serums v1.0)

02-18-2006 at 09:20 AM
Syntax
Very good!

Guess it should have been

19(89|90|91|92)

But yeah, I had the Atari 520 STF and had to replace it with a PC around that time.
02-19-2006 at 01:27 AM
b0rsuk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
DROD goes mainstream... :huh

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
02-19-2006 at 07:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mscarpel
You make it seem as if exposure is bad for the title...

02-20-2006 at 12:51 AM
mscarpel
I hear you on that, it certainly can happen. But my experience with DROD is that only a certain echelon of gamer will take to it and stick around to unlock all there is to unlock.

That group does not contain the lowest common denominator, I would imagine.

Plus, IMG and GameTunnel (believe it or not I write for them as well) are popular sites, but are far from IGN scope in readership.

Personally, I hope you guys see some bolstering of your ranks from all this.

02-20-2006 at 01:48 AM
ErikH2000
b0rsuk wrote:
DROD goes mainstream... :huh
Heh. I wish that was a problem to worry about. The number of people that have played some version of DROD at some time in the past is probably something like 300,000. The number of people that kept playing it for longer than 15 minutes is probably a 4-digit number. We are so tiny and unheard of.

-Erik

02-20-2006 at 01:57 AM
Oneiromancer
RoboBob3000 wrote:
Speaking of press mentions, I heard from another forum that DROD is listed in Computer Gaming World's 101 free games article. I don't subscribe to the magazine, so I have no idea of the context. Can anyone who is a subscriber confirm?
Yes, I somehow get this magazine for free...I can't remember exactly why, but I better not get charged for it when it runs out. Anyway...the blurb gives the URL and reads:
How do you sum up DROD? It's not a puzzle game, it's not an action game--it's a little of both. The basic, free version is a 2D classic. DROD junkies will also be happy to know there's a 3D version available at tlkgames.com
Man...that almost would have been perfect if they hadn't mentioned the travesty of the 3D one. I really hope that people don't go to the "better" version first and get so turned off that they never try the real deal.

Game on,

02-25-2006 at 02:45 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Press Clippings : DROD Review on Inside Mac Games. (If this keeps up, we might need a "Press Mentions" board.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com