Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : One room in a hold, or a hold in one room? (Unofficial competition)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Jacob
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3741
IP: Logged
icon Re: One room in a hold, or a hold in one room? (0)  
Yay. Have a rank point.

02-21-2006 at 08:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
Beh. It's not going to work out as well as I would like, but I can tell you that I *do* have the room layout worked out, as well as the first iteration.

02-21-2006 at 08:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Well, you didn't exactly specify what I was supposed to do with the hold, so I'll just attach it here.

EDIT:

Ba-leeted!

[Last edited by Chaco at 02-26-2006 03:12 PM]
02-26-2006 at 02:58 AM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Chaco wrote:
Well, you didn't exactly specify what I was supposed to do with the hold, so I'll just attach it here.
Jacob wrote:
Mail the holds to me: jgrinfeld@hotmail.com
I see where you're coming from. It wasn't in the first few posts.
02-26-2006 at 08:44 AM
Chaco
Oops. In that case, I shall do that. It is Sunday, so I was just in time! :)

02-26-2006 at 03:11 PM
Jacob
Well, at this point in time, you're the only one with an entry in. I give it some more time and then put up a poll, or just give you some rank points if you're the only one.
After that, I'd like to make a hold using these rooms, and some more I'll make, with a room a level, and probably a meta-linking level type thing.

02-26-2006 at 10:21 PM
Mikko
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 276
This was more time consuming than I had anticipated. In order to have at least two participants, I'm sending my work in progress as an entry. It works fine as far as I can tell, but there is a big empty area in the middle.
02-26-2006 at 11:17 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jacob
Thanks, Mikko. But I've not actually received an e-mail from you, and there's no attachment to your post. Either's fine.

02-27-2006 at 09:28 AM
Mikko

File: Serpents and wubbas.hold (1.5 KB)
Downloaded 30 times.
License: Public Domain
That strange, I did send an e-mail.

I completed the room, so if it's OK, I'll just post the finished version, even though I worked on it after the deadline.
02-27-2006 at 09:40 AM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Mikko wrote:
I completed the room, so if it's OK, I'll just post the finished version, even though I worked on it after the deadline.
I completed the room on my second time through it without killing all serpents. (Used the southern stairs and went to the exit after that) The wubba in the SE corner can be lured into the passage to kill the serpent, because you can still pass it without getting blocked.
02-27-2006 at 04:05 PM
Mikko
Oops. I knew that there was a big risk of unintended solutions, since I didn't have enough time to test the room properly.
02-27-2006 at 05:38 PM
Chaco
Regarding the "maximum entrance/playthrough" problem - Oneiromancer's solution won't work in this case because the green door and the blue door will drop at the same time, because there's only one room and it's cleared.

However, if you had two of these rooms linked together in a meta-level, then you could go clear this room, head to another room and clear it, then come back with the blue doors dropped and have a different puzzle.

03-07-2006 at 12:29 AM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Note that I edited in a comment that I didn't think my idea would work anyway, because I didn't realize the use of stairs to exit the main room. I assumed it was just a central room like I used in Beethro Goes Fourth.

Although to nitpick, the blue door won't drop at exactly the same time the green door does. First the green door will drop, then you "leave" the room through the stairs, and when you get back the blue door will drop.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
03-07-2006 at 01:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Good point, but to get the green door to drop, you'd have to kill stuff that was probably part of a puzzle, wouldn't you?

03-07-2006 at 01:05 AM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
It's called scripted monsters and "wait for door to open at (blue door coordinates)" commands, my friend. :)

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
03-07-2006 at 01:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
The delay in dropping the blue door after the green is why I wrote 2n+1, but I don't know if this is actually true. I've not tried it yet.

03-07-2006 at 05:00 PM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : One room in a hold, or a hold in one room? (Unofficial competition)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com