Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Press Clippings : DROD Article in The News Tribune. (Another press mention.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon DROD Article in The News Tribune. (+1)  
Hey, we got into the News Tribune, which is the third largest newspaper in Washington! My mother-in-law read Bill Hutchens' review in the paper and clipped it out for me. The online version of the article is here:

http://www.thenewstribune.com/ae/columnists/hutchens/story/5516425p-4970241c.html

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 02-11-2006 02:42 AM]
02-11-2006 at 01:54 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: DROD Article in The News Tribune. (0)  
Hey, that's a pretty darn nifty review! And the fact that the Penny Arcade guys recommended it to him is also very cool! It is odd that I have tried searching the PA forums for "DROD" and other keywords a few times since that front page mention, but I only ever get one real match. I would think that if Tycho and/or Gabe are mentioning it to journalists, that it would have at least a little bit of presence on their boards. But what do I know...

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
02-11-2006 at 02:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
I think he means he read the article PA wrote about gametunnel, which mentioned DROD as one of the games there worth of attention, and followed their recommendation - not that he got personal suggestions from them.

02-11-2006 at 02:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Oneiromancer wrote:
It is odd that I have tried searching the PA forums for "DROD" and other keywords a few times since that front page mention, but I only ever get one real match.
Yeah, that's consistent with what I found. I've scanned traffic logs since the mention, and it's all coming from just that one tiny reference. I am in slack-jawed awe of Penny Arcade. Somebody can just mention a game without even really recommending it... and that sends 10,000 visitors to a site within 2 days. Insane!

-Erik

02-11-2006 at 02:17 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
icon Re: DROD Article in The News Tribune. (+1)  
Lets just hope they never say that our site stinks and should be taken of the web! :smile
02-11-2006 at 02:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Ezlo wrote:
Lets just hope they never say that our site stinks and should be taken of the web! :smile
I think our server would instantly implode if they willed it. That is how much power they have.

-Erik

02-11-2006 at 02:21 AM
Ezlo
Let's hope they remember that with great power comes great responsibility. ;)
02-11-2006 at 02:45 AM
jamie
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 365
ErikH2000 wrote:
I think our server would instantly implode if they willed it. That is how much power they have.

-Erik

Hmmmm. Could they get me a girlfriend ?

02-11-2006 at 03:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
Only if you promise to drop that BSD thingy of yours.
02-11-2006 at 08:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: DROD Article in The News Tribune. (+1)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
Ezlo wrote:
Never overmisunderestimate the power of getting linked to from the front page of Slashdot... :D :lol

np: Juno Reactor - Kaguya Hime (Bible Of Dreams)

02-11-2006 at 10:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NekoIncardine
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 127
At least the servers stood up to Penny Arcading.

I don't think that this article's going to be nearly as powerful in terms of new people, but those interested might get us some sales, which is yey.

By the way. Hello to any new people who came here being referenced by the News Tribune article.

... And now he mentions Trackmania, which makes me want to play the special version of Trackmania Nations that's out. Or Burnout Revenge. Which I already have.

02-12-2006 at 11:00 PM
Ezlo
I came in during the Penny Arcade surge. But I didn't come here from Penny Arcade. The game that I was Beta-testing for was completed after being worked on for seven years. (Two of which I actually beta-tested) and I was bored. I was searching around for more games to help out with. When I saw how you could post beta boards here, I was hooked! Too bad I've only been invited to one. How many beta-boards are there anyway?
02-12-2006 at 11:28 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
NekoIncardine wrote:
... And now he mentions Trackmania, which makes me want to play the special version of Trackmania Nations that's out.
[X] Go for it. :)

02-13-2006 at 07:23 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Press Clippings : DROD Article in The News Tribune. (Another press mention.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com