Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Avatar image quality
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
StuartK
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 564
IP: Logged
icon Avatar image quality (+1)  
If avatars met the image dimension requirements (75*75?) could I ask for them not to be recompressed? Or could we have some kind of filesize target, as well as image dimension target?

I finally decided to upload an avatar for the forum. Firstly, I tried to upload a jpg that was a little too large - the rescaling didn't look very good (I'm kinda picky about image quality) Could it be down to the resizing code (does it try to smoothly scale?) or...

Secondly, I resized the image myself first and uploaded. The 7.5kB jpg I uploaded was recompressed to a 2.5kB jpg. Nice filesize, but looked almost as bad as the first attempt due to the artifacts.

Thirdly, I uploaded a 12kB png file. Much better - the file wasn't rescaled, and is identical to the one I uploaded.

The jpg resizing and recompression settings seem a little harsh, and counterproductive when they can be avoided by using png, which ends up with a larger file for the same overall quality... I'd be happy to use smaller jpgs (and hence cut down on overall bandwidth usage) if I could avoid having the artifacts introduced...
02-10-2006 at 12:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
icon Re: Avatar image quality (0)  
Avatars can be up to 100x75 without being resized by the forum. I'm looking at the code, and it's clearly at least trying to simply copy the file as-is if it fits within the size requirements. I don't see any bugs that would make it resize when it doesn't need to.

When it does resize, it does interpolate pixels so it shouldn't look *that* bad. Could you attach your 7.5k jpg so I can use it to see what's going on?

02-10-2006 at 03:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
StuartK

File: spider2.jpg (11.9 KB)
Downloaded 44 times.
License: Public Domain
It could be down to the fact that the image I chose is unusually sensitive to jpg artifacts.

Here's the first file I tried to upload (12kB, 91x100 pixels)
02-10-2006 at 10:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
StuartK

File: spider3.jpg (7.4 KB)
Downloaded 46 times.
And here's the second file, (7.5kB, 68x75 pixels)
02-10-2006 at 10:28 PM
StuartK

File: spider3b.jpg (2.3 KB)
Downloaded 50 times.
And here's the 2.5kB file resulting from uploading spider3.jpg
02-10-2006 at 10:29 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Avatar image quality
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com