Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : More Shiny Discs (Our News for February.)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon More Shiny Discs (+2)  
Everbody knows about the big internet boom (and bust) of the early oughtties. Basically, we had a lot of startups making internet-related stuff. And a lot of it was funded by stupid money so the whole thing crashed. But who remembers the multimedia boom in the mid-nineties? Well, I do! Those were the glory days when Starbucks was still hip, and people were actually impressed if you had a cell phone.

About the time CD-ROM drives started coming preinstalled on new PCs, a whole industry of software and multimedia development sprang up. CD-ROMs were huge when they arrived. You could put just about anything on a CD and suddenly have a product that made you a fortune. Hundreds of small studios, like the one I worked for, thrived by putting together content to match the whims of cash-hungry publishing clients. The stupid money flowed. And then eventually the stupid money dried up, because like all very cool technologies only a small subset of the ideas to exploit it panned out.

I've still kept my little fetish for the shiny discs. I can push a lot of cool stuff onto those 640 megabytes. And once I put the disc in your hands, all that data is there for your immediate pleasure. No waiting around for downloads. No dependance on cables or ether, some far away web server or radio station. You get it all in one atomic transaction, and then it's your's forever. Or at least until the media rots.

And yet, there's trouble. Just as video killed the radio star, internet distribution may soon kill the discs. Some people are saying that games will be mostly sold from the internet in the next five years, because everybody's going to have broadband, and it's more efficient to get games to people that way. I'd rather buy songs off iTunes or Rhapsody these days, especially with the physical media priced at twenty bucks like a test to see who is chump enough to buy it.

Is the disc dying? There is one big reason to put things on a disc that trumps the efficiency and convenience of the internet.

Love.

Yes, I said it, and I meant it. We put songs, games, pictures, and movies onto something physical because we love them. We want it to be more than just data. A jewel case, so aptly named, can be a miniature shrine and sanctuary for that beloved data. It gives us something real to admire in our hands and place smugly into our collections. This is why I'm going to pay the twenty chumpbucks for that latest Depeche Mode CD when I get around to it. I've got all their other albums starting with Speak & Spell, and I can't break the lovechain by dumping downloaded tracks onto a crummy CDR. Well, I could, but it just wouldn't feel right. When it comes to our own Caravellian creations, the presses must roll even if they are just vanity presses. Last week, I sent Larry Murk and all the contributors for Perfection our finely packaged versions of Larry's Perfectionist vision. We do this to celebrate our little accomplishments. It makes a nice trophy to show that something came of the time spent.

Let me go count how many Perfection CDs I've got left. I'll be right back...

Twenty-Five Perfection CDs Left

Okay, there were 26, but I took one out for myself and put it in the trophy case. Now suppose you wanted to buy a Perfection CD, how would you do it? Well, you couldn't. It's impossible to buy one and probably always will be. I've thought about it, and it's too much work to sell and ship every Smitemaster's Selection we produce individually, so we're not going to do it. That's the bad news. Don't worry, though. The bad news was bad, but the good news is gooder.

Smitemaster's Selection CD Subscriptions

Smitemaster's Selection CDs can now be sent to your house on a subscription basis. You order the subscription and then we mail you a CD "issue" each quarter. You could even just order one issue--the next one we print. Like a regular magazine, we will only print a quantity of issues equal to the amount of subscribers with a small overage. We will ship all the CDs out at one time. So from our side, it's much more efficient and lets the disc dream live on.

But it's better for you too, because we're putting some extra content on the Smitemaster's Selection CDs. Here's what's coming up on the Winter 2005 Smitemaster's Selection entitled Halph Stories. (Yes, I know it's 2006, but Winter started in 2005.)

* Beethro and the Secret Society, a new hold by Jacob Grinfeld.
* Halph has a Bad Day, a new hold by Eytan Zweig.
* The Shadowman - Part 1, a half hour audio drama from the Dry Smoke and Whispers series.
* Two songs and an interview from Jon Sonnenberg of Travelogue. (By the way, Jon finished the soundtrack for our upcoming game, DROD: The City Beneath last month.)
* Demos of new indie shareware titles.
* And a few other nifty odds and ends that will come together at the last second.

"What's this audio drama stuff?", you say. I have for a long time been enamored with the audio drama form of storytelling. It's just a theatrical production brought to life with sound. The artform began with early radio programming. Shows like The Shadow, Dimension X, or Fibber McGee and Molly were audio-only predecessors of today's television programming. While mainstream tastes have moved on, there is a movement of audio drama production today that parallels what indie game developers are doing. You make something small with a microscopic budget, but you make it how you want without external pressures to justify a huge investment. Within those parameters, producers have more creative freedom, and on occasion you'll see something wonderfully different appear.

Marc Rose and his crew have been slaving away on the Dry Smoke and Whispers world for at least as long as we have on DROD. It's a crazy-huge universe of stories, characters, and events, comparable in scope and detail to something like Star Wars. Dry Smoke has won the 2004 Mark Time Award for Excellence in Audio Theatre, and is broadcast on XM radio. The first part of one Drysmoke story, called the The Shadowman Saga, is going onto the Winter Smitemaster's. I think it will give you something interesting to listen to while you're playing DROD. We are currently planning to bring more Shadowman episodes to the Smitemaster's CDs in serial fashion.

So you can now sign up for a Smitemaster's Selection subscription. It costs $15 per CD inside the USA, and $18 outside. Shipping is included and accounts for the difference in cost for people outside the USA. If you buy four or more issues at one time, you get 20% off.

A Secret Offer for people reading this by e-mail: This secret offer can't be revealed publicly on our website, so its text has been omitted here. It was only sent to people who receive the Illumination by e-mail. We've had a few secret offers like this so far, and there will be more, so getting the Illumination once each month by e-mail is recommended. If you've got a Caravel Forum account, you can change settings in your profile to receive it. There is also a sign-up form at the top of caravelgames.com.

More Smitemaster's Selection info

I am realizing that there is a lot more I could say about Smitemaster's Selection, but I've already said so much, and it's probably best to move on.

There Is No Problem that Can't Be Solved with a Really Big Forum

Patrick Fisher, Wesley Chua, Matt Schikore, and I remade the entire drod.net site into something indescribably different. Or I should say that describing it all would bore everyone except maybe the above four people. But here's what's good about the rather drastic changes, and fundamentally more important than just "we redid the website":

Every article on the new web site is generated from a forum post. We've set up hidden boards on the forum that serve as containers for forum posts published as web site articles. So in theory, anybody who knows how to post a message on the forum, can create a page for our website. Patrick or Wesley can just publish the post. We don't really do HTML editing anymore, and it's all very easy. Prediction: the new site will grow like mad with new content.

The old site can briefly be seen at http://drod.net. But not for long, since that URL will soon redirect to the new site.

The new site

Deflectomundo!

The new contest for February is about creating paths for lasers to travel over a grid. Contestants will compete in a timed trial on the 20th. I encourage everyone to join the contest. Even if you aren't fast enough to win, it can still be fun. I've made a warm-up puzzle for you to try out. I'm a little embarrassed that everybody says it's terribly easy. I'll have to make something a fair bit harder for the actual contest.

Contest info

Topic Picks for February

As usual, a lot of stuff went down on our forum. Here's some highlights:

The Deadlies Winners Announced
A number of player-created holds won awards in different categories of excellence. And the Hold of the Year is...
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=8802

TAPAKAHbI yCaTbIe 2, J'nis Tomb, Journey to the Goblin Kingdom, Arena 3, Figure or Ground
These are all the new holds (level collections) that have been released since the last newsletter. Man, is Larry Murk prolific or what?
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewboard.php?BoardID=11

Contributions from Above
Patrick Fisher, our chief editor for the site, is asking the general populace for site content submissions. You creative types should have a look!
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=8936

Volcano Mod
William Frank, author of the popular Sanctum 2 mod style has made a variation called "Volcano".
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=6928

Bloodless DROD
A guy called Swivel has come up with a solution for people who don't like blood in DROD.
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=9033

Hex-a-Hop
A game author announced his likable logic puzzler on the forum, and it is getting a great response from those that played it.
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=8902

Chronicles of Riddick Movie Unfairly Ignored
Chalks has to know: Why aren't they making a sequel to Chronicles of Riddick. Is the world just not ready to accept a bald action hero?
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=9086

Deadly Legos of Death
Tailchaser makes a scene with legos.
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=8848

-Erik

[Last edited by mrimer at 05-18-2008 05:43 AM]
02-07-2006 at 12:43 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: More Shiny Discs (0)  
I'm still the webmaster according to the e-mail.

Hooray! Take that, Patrick.

02-07-2006 at 01:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tscott
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 382
icon Re: More Shiny Discs (+1)  
#1) If we sign up for a subscription, are they figured on a yearly basis? So it'd be $60 ($15*4) per year if we're in the US? Will we be charged this up front, quarterly, or as the disc ship?

#2) Have you heard of www.yourmusic.com ? It's through BMG, only $5.99 per disc with free shipping- the only catch is they send you one CD automatically every month, but the good part is YOU chose what cd that is by putting the CDs you want in your queue. Plus you can order anything else whenever you want and quit at any time. Although, they don't have the new Depeche Mode CD yet :( but since they have 9 other CDs by them I'd guess it's only, er... a question of time. :blush

02-07-2006 at 02:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
Tscott wrote:
#1) If we sign up for a subscription, are they figured on a yearly basis? So it'd be $60 ($15*4) per year if we're in the US? Will we be charged this up front, quarterly, or as the disc ship?
If you order 4 or more, you get 20% off, so buying one year's worth would cost $48. The charge is up-front. If we were unable to deliver however many you purchased (i.e. we just all out quit, which I don't see happening), then the remainder of the money would be refunded.

02-07-2006 at 03:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Tscott
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 382
Ah, thanks. I get it now... Literally.

02-07-2006 at 04:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Mattcrampy wrote:
Hooray! Take that, Patrick.
Oh yeah? Oh yeah??? Well....

But at least I don't....uh...

Fine. I've got nothing. Although this gives me an excuse to bother Schik. Happy now?

02-07-2006 at 04:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Tscott wrote:
#2) Have you heard of www.yourmusic.com ? It's through BMG, only $5.99 per disc with free shipping- the only catch is they send you one CD automatically every month, but the good part is YOU chose what cd that is by putting the CDs you want in your queue. Plus you can order anything else whenever you want and quit at any time. Although, they don't have the new Depeche Mode CD yet :(
That sounds pretty decent actually. I'd have to look at their selection, but I might do it.
but since they have 9 other CDs by them I'd guess it's only, er... a question of time. :blush
Shame on you. :no

-Erik

02-07-2006 at 06:24 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NekoIncardine
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 127
yourmusic.com sounds cool...

Question: For Cheapskate Bastards like me, how much of the SS CDs material will be exclusive to the CDs? Will those of us who got CaravelNet for the purposes of getting 100% of the plot stuff for DROD need to get the CDs as well? 100% of the dungeons? I remember you talking about the "private download area" of CaravelNet (and I dunno where the grub it is, either!) and having exclusive stuff for that - will much of the CD material end up being available there?

... Or am I just too much of a worrywart about all this?

02-07-2006 at 06:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: More Shiny Discs (+5)  
NekoIncardine wrote:
Question: For Cheapskate Bastards like me, how much of the SS CDs material will be exclusive to the CDs? Will those of us who got CaravelNet for the purposes of getting 100% of the plot stuff for DROD need to get the CDs as well? 100% of the dungeons? I remember you talking about the "private download area" of CaravelNet (and I dunno where the grub it is, either!) and having exclusive stuff for that - will much of the CD material end up being available there?
A problem I have is that licensing content from people is tricky. Like I have a deal with Marc Rose at the moment to put his first episode of The Shadowman on 50 CDs and nothing beyond that. It's harder to explain who and how many have access to the content when it's on a nebulous "online service" thing. So when making agreements with producers, it can work better to stick to the concrete. In the future, I will be putting some of the content from the CDs onto the CaravelNet private download area, but not everything. The holds themselves will go on CaravelNet, of course. And for the moment, I can't imagine any case where Caravel-specific content released on CD wouldn't also go in the private area. The one exception might be if we want to distribute some really, really large files, like movies of Leus dressed as Vonnifa Budkin.

So to answer your question briefly, I wouldn't worry about missing out on Caravel storyline stuff by not getting the CDs, but no, not everything on the CDs will go into the CaravelNet download area.

-Erik

02-07-2006 at 06:56 AM
ErikH2000
Regarding the secret offer, there are 19 copies left as I write this.

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 02-07-2006 07:16 PM]
02-07-2006 at 07:15 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
Well, that stinks. I'd love to get one of them, and I could easily afford the subscription, but, sadly, my lack of a credit card means I cannot get it. This makes me very sad. :weep

02-07-2006 at 08:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Swivel
Rank Points: 236
Chaco, you can just mail cash. It's not always a good idea, but I sent out a cash payment for both CaravelNet and JtRH and currently have them both. Erik would be the man to hook you up. I can't make hooking someone up sound virtuous (due to the nature of the saying), but it is. Virtuous.
02-07-2006 at 08:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Chaco wrote:
Well, that stinks. I'd love to get one of them, and I could easily afford the subscription, but, sadly, my lack of a credit card means I cannot get it. This makes me very sad. :weep
I'm sympathetic, Chaco! One of the reasons I set up the subscription model was so that people who have a hard time with these internet transactions can just go through hassle one time for a year or two of issues. I also avoided using the automatic subscription billing feature of Plimus because a lot of people (mostly in Europe) don't have a credit card that it would work with.

I have a backup payment processor that also accepts PayPal and cash. This is what Swivel is talking about. If you want to try that, send me an e-mail and I'll give you the URL. Another option is to find somebody you know that has a credit card and hand them a fistful of cash to order for you. In this case, just make sure to use your address for the shipping information and their information for everything else on the order form.

-Erik

02-07-2006 at 08:46 PM
Bombadil
Rank Points: 509
This sounds great!
I've subscribed myself for a year...
/me starts playing DROD while waits for the package to arrive

Now I just need to wait until you release I saw isosceles...
02-07-2006 at 09:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
How would I able to mail-send the cash to Caravel Games?

02-07-2006 at 10:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
As Erik said, email him and he'll send you the details. He's not going to publically post his address on the forum.

02-07-2006 at 10:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Swivel wrote:
Chaco, you can just mail cash. It's not always a good idea, but I sent out a cash payment for both CaravelNet and JtRH and currently have them both. Erik would be the man to hook you up. I can't make hooking someone up sound virtuous (due to the nature of the saying), but it is. Virtuous.

Generally not recommended--but this is why they've got money orders.
02-08-2006 at 01:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Tahnan wrote:
Generally not recommended--but this is why they've got money orders.
Yeah, sending cash through the mail is a bit risky, and I steer people away from it unless there is nothing else that works. I don't know what country Chaco is in, but I guess it's sometimes difficult/expensive to send a money order/cashier's check/bank wire.

-Erik

02-08-2006 at 02:13 AM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
This may sound very unprofessional, but wouldn't it be possible to make a direct money transition to your bank account? I know that you can do that in Sweden, and that it hardly costs any money, and that it's compleatly safe. This would require us to know a bank acount number, but thats about it.
02-10-2006 at 12:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Regarding the secret offer, there are 14 copies left as I write this.

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 02-10-2006 12:35 AM]
02-10-2006 at 12:35 AM
ErikH2000
Blondbeard wrote:
This may sound very unprofessional, but wouldn't it be possible to make a direct money transition to your bank account? I know that you can do that in Sweden, and that it hardly costs any money, and that it's compleatly safe. This would require us to know a bank acount number, but thats about it.
Sure, you can do a bank wire, and that doesn't sound unprofessional at all. The order page has instructions for it. Just specify "Wire Transfer" for method of payment. You'd actually be sending money to Plimus' (the payment processor's) account.

-Erik

02-10-2006 at 12:39 AM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
You mean... well, you know... Okay, I feel very silly now. I've been trying to come up with a clever way of purchasing games without a credit card (DROD/CaravelNet included), and now you tell me Plimus handles direct transfers?

One day, I shall figure out how to get my brain up and running. Must be a problem somewhere in init.d ... Thanks for the information!
02-10-2006 at 10:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
Alneyan wrote:
I've been trying to come up with a clever way of purchasing games without a credit card (DROD/CaravelNet included), and now you tell me Plimus handles direct transfers?
But note that you need a way to transmit the order number Plimus assigns you on the transfer document itself. There are transfer methods that allow sending notes to the recipient, and others that don't. Ask your bank before accidentally donating money to Plimus ;)
02-11-2006 at 02:48 PM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
ErikH2000 wrote:
Blondbeard wrote:
Sure, you can do a bank wire, and that doesn't sound unprofessional at all. The order page has instructions for it. Just specify "Wire Transfer" for method of payment. You'd actually be sending money to Plimus' (the payment processor's) account.

-Erik

and so by this method, you would accept any currency?
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by NiroZ at 05-29-2007 11:26 AM]
02-12-2006 at 05:29 AM
ErikH2000
NiroZ wrote:
Practically speaking, yes. Maybe not Sealand notes.

-Erik

02-12-2006 at 05:35 AM
Swivel
Rank Points: 236
I get all of my money from here. It seems to work at WalMart.
02-12-2006 at 08:18 PM
Andy101
Rank Points: 222
ErikH2000 wrote:
NiroZ wrote:
Practically speaking, yes. Maybe not Sealand notes.

-Erik
Wow, I didn't realise that they even had their own currency. Further investiagtion reveals that one Sealand dollar is worth precisly one US dollar and that they have their own stamps as well.

[Last edited by Andy101 at 02-12-2006 09:25 PM]
02-12-2006 at 09:25 PM
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
How about Amazon (or another company - Newegg?) wishlists or gift certificates? Exact change may be a problem in the case of making use of a wishlist, but I'm not one to quibble over a few dollars here or there. Then again, payment options for buying gift certificates are more restricted than just buying something on a wishlist and having it shipped somewhere (and sending an accompanying email)
02-12-2006 at 10:52 PM
ErikH2000
Andy101 wrote:
Wow, I didn't realise that they even had their own currency. Further investiagtion reveals that one Sealand dollar is worth precisly one US dollar and that they have their own stamps as well.
Sealand is awesome. I will live there someday.

-Erik

02-12-2006 at 11:22 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
ErikH2000 wrote:

Sealand is awesome. I will live there someday.

Apparently no-one else does.

02-13-2006 at 03:42 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : More Shiny Discs (Our News for February.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com